Hey again,

I've bought myself some new JJ EL34 tubes to replace my tubes on my Bugera 333xl because the last ones blew during recording a few weeks ago. I've had the Bugera just over a year now so i've been told I shouldn't be worried about other problems and that they were just worn.

I have a gig tomorrow night and heard that I should be able to bias it myself with a voltmeter, but after a little research now it seems that I need a bias probe which I can't get hold of before the gig.

Is there any way I can safely bias the EL34 tubes in my Bugera 333xl without a Bias Probe?

I searched but found nothing specific to this amp, and saw in other threads that did mention the 333xl that it was limited (or something similar) so it's a little different.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
you dont need a bias probe. the 333/333xl have an external bias point. it is next to the power tubes and looks like a RCA jack. the knob next to it is what you turn to adjust it. Just make suer you keep the selector switch in the EL34 position, and not the 6L6.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks, hopefully I can work it out!

Edit: Ok so I know where to adjust it now, how do I know what number to change it to? (yes very vague/ poor knowledge of Biasing)
Last edited by Lr-Mtb at Mar 10, 2012,
really you can bias to what you prefer tonaly, but the factory settings are about 40ma so if you bias a little hotter, the tone will improve. At least that was my experience with my 333
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I had Bugera EL34's in before and now have JJ EL34's to put in. Would I be ok just to switch them around and leave the bias knob in the same position because it worked for the last set of tubes? it's a quarter turn from the left, if that makes sense.
Quote by Lr-Mtb
I had Bugera EL34's in before and now have JJ EL34's to put in. Would I be ok just to switch them around and leave the bias knob in the same position because it worked for the last set of tubes? it's a quarter turn from the left, if that makes sense.

Not really, but it might work for the gig. Though Bugera has a biasing guide on their web page.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
I've found information on the adjustment that uses a multimeter though a socket on the outside of the amp so I don't have to take it apart instead of a bias probe. I'm going to try that as although people say it's off, it would be better than leaving it as it is. Then i'll try get it to a tech to bias it properly after the gig because I can't before.

I've swapped the tubes now, just not done anything with it. Any links to more articles that describe what to do because what I've found is a bit vague :/
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.