So I play most of my main stuff, my band stuff, tuned 1/2-step down (Eb). We're mainly punk rock (more of the early 90s SoCal punk rock sound like Bad Religion, Pennywise, etc, not hardcore or street punk or whatever). I like that extra Eb 5th chord at my disposal so I usually play/write 1/2-step down.

However, I also have a bluesy-jammy side project thing, and I love to cover songs and also sometimes try stuff in drop D if I'm writing something a little heavier and faster. So while I'm mainly Eb I occasionally go 1/2-step up or down to E or Drop D (never gone lower than 1/2-step on any other strings besides low E going down to D). So I set my stuff up for Eb and then just tune up or down when I need to.

My question is, if I go back up to standard, or stay in drop D for awhile, does that 1/2-step difference from my setup tuning do anything? In terms of messing with the setup? I mainly use my LP, so I'm wondering if instead of constantly switching back and forth if I should just sacrifice another guitar to stay permanently drop D and another that is standard tuning and then just switch off when the song requires, or if I should just keep tuning the LP back and forth. I like the way the LP sounds for most of the stuff, which is why I haven't just done the guitar switching thing yet, because I only have 1 LP right now (2 LP projects are in the process of parts buying right now but won't be done for a LONG time).

That is probably a confusing way to word all that, but hey, I had a show last night and I'm still half asleep today lol. This actually stemmed from the show, as during soundcheck I dropped D just to play this riff I'd been working on and it got real "buzzy", which had me wondering if the switching messes with the neck/bridge etc being setup for something different, even though it's not an extreme tuning jump.

Thanks for any advice, and sorry for the long read.
"Space may be the final frontier
But it's made in a hollywood basement."
Sweet, thanks. I've always gone from 1/2-down to standard but recently started the drop D and that's when I occasionally notice buzz, but I couldn't tell of it was just more aggressive picking leading to the "slap" effect (the drop D stuff is a MUCH faster tempo than I'm used to so picking has been a little sloppy at first lol) until soundcheck when I played a slow riff. I'lltry and fine tune the action for the Eb/D sweet spot.

Curious, does anyone else keep different guitars in different tunings or just mess with your main guitar? Like, in close tunings. It makes sense to have different guitars for big jumps, but I'm wondering if people do it for the close ones too.
"Space may be the final frontier
But it's made in a hollywood basement."