It's pretty backwards to keep criticizing America if you are British...

Page 1 of 8
Fancy that! Just a few hours ago, a British journalist takes a relished opportunity to ridicule "backwards" America!

Quote by Peter Foster of the Telegraph
We Europeans tend to scoff slightly at all that lofty US guff about freedom and democracy, particularly when it is used as a cover for invading oil-rich parts of the Middle East – but go and live in China for three years, and you’ll quickly re-discover the point.

I recently subscribed to a well-known American cable TV company with the customary 350 channels, only to discover that the menu and navigation system is absolutely, truly, monstrously baffling.

Then there are ATM fees, which I can only surmise are necessary to pay for the people to process all those paper cheques. Remember ATM fees? Well, they still exist in America

Take the American wine industry. It still uses corks. How quaint; how utterly inconvenient. After nearly a decade living in far-flung places and drinking mostly Ozzie and NZ wines, I had to search hard for a corkscrew when our chattels arrived from Beijing.

And the roads. Oh, don’t start me on the roads. I’ve driven several thousand miles in the last month or so, chasing the Republican hopefuls around Florida, Michigan and Ohio and I now fully understand why Americans drive such vast, wallowing cars – the roads are a complete mess.

America is so big and self-contained that it carries on oblivious to some of those crafty inventions that the rest of the world has long since adopted as standard.

I’ll stop now. Such are the little culture shocks of moving back west after nearly a decade spent in the vibrant new economies of Asia. America is still the greatest, but like all fading empires, it needs to work hard to keep up – starting with ATM fees and screw-top wine bottles.

Bollocks.

My own opinion is summed up in the thread title. But how do you respond to this, American UGers? How about you British UGers?
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
u mad bro?
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
I really hate it.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Man, those quotes sound pretty homosexual.
UG's King Neptune

Quote by AtaBorMan
You're the biggest dick we've had in the Pit for a while.
Quote by SLEESTAK_BRO
Stop talking, you have are the biggest dick the pit has seen in a while.
That guy seemed sooooo mad.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
lets ignore the problems of the uk and concentrate on ****ING CORKS IN WINE. ITS A TRAVESTY.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Don't really care, and neither should you.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Other nations can say what they want about America but, it is what it is. I personally dislike a lot of what goes on here but there are problems everywhere.
I think in general a lot of Europeans are pretty snobby. They always seem they are trying to be better than America and have to point to things and say how they are so much better than America.

I am not saying people from America or Europe are better, that is just what it seems. Both sides of the ocean are categorized by stereotypes that aren't true. Not all Americans are fat, lazy, and stupid. I am sure not all Europeans meet there specific stereotype.

Either way, I look forward to going to traveling Europe in June to see what its like.
Quote by FireHawk
I think in general a lot of Europeans are pretty snobby. They always seem they are trying to be better than America and have to point to things and say how they are so much better than America.

I am not saying people from America or Europe are better, that is just what it seems. Both sides of the ocean are categorized by stereotypes that aren't true. Not all Americans are fat, lazy, and stupid. I am sure not all Europeans mee there specific stereotype.

Either way, I look forward to going to traveling Europe in June to see what its like.

We don't just think we're better, we are better
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Seriously? We have dozens of real problems, and this is the shit he picks to bitch about. These aren't even problems. It's called "culture" you douche wad. You don't see me writing about how people in India eat with their hands when they have access to utensils, or some stupid crap like that. "Oh no! They're so ass-backwards!"
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sweden sucks and you should feel bad.

America has guns and Europeans are pissed scared of guns.

Britain has Pete Burns, and every mother****er is scared of his sensual grip around their waist. Don't even try and deny it.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sweden sucks and you should feel bad.

America has guns and Europeans are pissed scared of guns.

*Edit* I checked old statistics..
We should start calling it "The Fact of Evolution", theory, even though correct, does not work with the ignorant..
Last edited by Blargaha at Mar 10, 2012,
Quote by Ed Hunter
Britain has Pete Burns, and every mother****er is scared of his sensual grip around their waist. Don't even try and deny it.

America has Clint Eastwood

Quote by Blargaha
Are you aware of that we, as Canada has, have more guns per citizen than the US has?

Note I said Europeans, unless you're trying to say that Canada is a European country which they wish they are
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
wow, this makes allot more sense if you read the quotes in a sarcastic voice
the journalist is trolling
Quote by WantsLesPaul
You are a sick man, Riley.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
America has Clint Eastwood

Note I said Europeans, unless you're trying to say that Canada is a European country which they wish they are

Pete Burns is infinitely more terrifying than that old twat. If you're not careful, we'll team him up with Boy George and then you're really ****ed, literally.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Quote by Blargaha
Are you aware of that we, as Canada has, have more guns per citizen than the US has?

and a proud national history of using them to defend the swedish chicks from rambunctious bear kidnappers
The Telegraph is a right-wing newspaper in the UK who would like to become more like America, suggesting things like removing the British welfare state to be in line with America, and often writing in support of American Republicans. So posting something from The Telegraph is a bit strange.

That being said, I do agree. I find America insufferable when I'm there. Things are just too different. Last time I visited, my mum went to a "homelessness benefit" which was hosted in a luxury apartment block that was standing completely empty. Gluttony and hypocrisy run rampant in the land of the 'free'
nitpick much? maybe if he sad we were backwards on our views of of gay marriage i would take that, but corks is his big deal? what kind of writing is this? this has to be a joke. the only one he mentioned that was important was our aging infrastructure
Quote by Ed Hunter
Pete Burns is infinitely more terrifying than that old twat. If you're not careful, we'll team him up with Boy George and then you're really ****ed, literally.

Boy George really wants to hurt me and really wants to make me cry
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Kensai

Shit my state sucks

I get pretty heated over all the 'fucc america' statements.
I'm not even really sure why, it's not like I like america that much.

It's funny. Whenever I see a lot of people making fun of or bashing something, even if I hate it to death, I feel the need to side with it.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
The Telegraph is a right-wing newspaper in the UK who would like to become more like America, suggesting things like removing the British welfare state to be in line with America, and often writing in support of American Republicans. So posting something from The Telegraph is a bit strange.

That being said, I do agree. I find America insufferable when I'm there. Things are just too different. Last time I visited, my mum went to a "homelessness benefit" which was hosted in a luxury apartment block that was standing completely empty. Gluttony and hypocrisy run rampant in the land of the 'free'

Where do you expect them to hold it? A trailer park in Alabama?
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by ironman1478
nitpick much? maybe if he sad we were backwards on our views of of gay marriage i would take that, but corks is his big deal? what kind of writing is this? this has to be a joke. the only one he mentioned that was important was our aging infrastructure

Yeah also all 'good' wines use corks.

You will struggle to find an expensive wine in the UK that doesn't have a cork in the bottle. In fact, most Californian wines in the UK are screw tops, whereas French are usually cork-lids.

Oh how terribly uncultured

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Where do you expect them to hold it? A trailer park in Alabama?

Oh, I'm not against them holding it. I find it repulsive that they were like "herp derp more affordable housing!" but had a LUXURY APARTMENT BLOCK STANDING EMPTY that they couldn't comprehend letting homeless people use.
Last edited by Mistress_Ibanez at Mar 10, 2012,
I like corked wine

Anything else seems... cheap.

Hell, my Remy Martin is corked. So is my Glenlivet.

*fancy purveyer of alcohol*
My God, it's full of stars!
Last edited by Dreadnought at Mar 10, 2012,