I recently got an emg equiped guitar, and I am having a hard time getting used to how articulate they are. They are picking up every little string vibration across the board. Even when I am applying left and right hand muting techniques, just simply lifting my finger off of an unfretted string will sound it. So even though Im using fret hand muting, Im actually creating more noise when I lift or move positions. Will a noise gate help me, or would that be a total lost cause for this situation? Is there some other product that could help?

p.s. I play mostly high gain
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Maybe there are gnomes in your air conditioning vents using out-of-phase parabolic speakers to deaden vibrations from a distance.
It is a custom Dean ml
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Maybe there are gnomes in your air conditioning vents using out-of-phase parabolic speakers to deaden vibrations from a distance.
you need to use foam under the strings behind the nut, and if you have a floyd, stuff the springs full of foam, or the whole cavity with tissue paper to stop them ringing out when you play. If you have a hardtail with a tom style bridge then you'll need foam under the strings between the bridge and where the strings go through the body
It is an original floyd. I have foam behing the nut, but nothing done to the springs. Thanks for the tip, I will try that.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Quote by cooper1965
It is an original floyd. I have foam behing the nut, but nothing done to the springs. Thanks for the tip, I will try that.

This filling the cavity thing makes a massive difference, any high output pickup will accentuate the metallic tone a floyd's springs vibrating makes (which is horrid), most trem users seem to do it; Vai, Dino Cazares and a few others
Well I tried filling the springs with foam, and filling the entire cavity, but it did not change the problem. I actually have noiseless springs (forgot about that). I played quite a bit with the gain settings, reduced them a lot and it did help, but I really love the fully saturated sound of high gain. My emgs are as far away from the strings as the screws will allow. What can I do to fix this problem? I can just barely touch any given string, lift off, and it will sound through the amp.?? I know there are plenty of metal guys, using massive high gain amps, using emgs, that are not having this problem. What do I need to add to my amp and guitar to cut this?
Quote by AeolianSeventh
try turning down the guitar volume, but with your old gain settings. A lot of my pups are so strong I rarely need them cranked to 10.
I play really loud and have never had foam in my cavities, and have never ad the trem spring sound. Maybe I have been lucky.
Is this a used guitar??? Maybe there is an issue with it and thats why they dumped it?
What the hell!!!
Last edited by danvwman at Mar 11, 2012,
That's the thing about EMG's - they pick up every little thing you do, right or wrong.
Practice my man. It's just showing you all the things you do wrong. They take a while to get used to, far less forgiving than other pups. Head down, arse up and practice your tail off. That's the answer, not some pedal to mask your mistakes; don't make the mistakes in the first place.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Oh, and also, use as little gain as possible to get the chunk you want out of your tone. You don't need more unless your tapping.

Seriously, the only reason to have more gain is tapping. Even then, it's only because people suck at playing guitar.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Btw. EMG's are supposed to be run as close as possible to the strings. They have tiny magnets so they have to be nice and close. That's why even EMG single coils are so quiet. Tiny magnet so it doesn't pick up outside interference. They are actually extremely low output pickups until they hit the internal preamp. Without the preamp you'd hardly hear them at all.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yes, put them back close to the strings. And I know this sounds harsh, but... play better. I've been using EMG's for a few years now, and mine do all the things you're describing - it's just a fact. Having them will really teach you to control your instrument, and you'll become a much better player for it. So strive for that, rather than looking for "a way out".
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Thanks everyone for all the tips, and honest interpretation of my problem. Maybe I am just used to passive pups (sh-13), that were actually masking some of my imperfections. I still am struggling with fret hand muting on this guitar though, I just can't understand how I am supposed to mute, if even the slightest pull away sounds the strings. I will continue working though. Thanks again guys.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Quote by cooper1965
I just can't understand how I am supposed to mute, if even the slightest pull away sounds the strings. I will continue working though. Thanks again guys.

Stop pulling away from the string! You're ALWAYS muting, there should only ever be one string ringing out; the one you're playing on.

And you mute with TWO hands, right?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."