Does any one know a specific name for songs that use a backing track with drums rhythm and lead guitar only? Such as Yngwie Malmsteen and Paul Gilbert.
I think the term you're looking for is "instrumental" which is generally just music with a melody that usually follows a theme.
dude. yngwie's music is hella complicated, both technically and sonically.

in most tracks, he may have drums, synth (possibly using a taurus foot synth), bass, rythym guitar before you get his lead.

answer to your question:
if nobodies singing/no voices, its an instrumental. still a song, and imo, even more feeling to it.
Quote by Spaztikko

answer to your question:
if nobodies singing/no voices, its an instrumental. still a song, and imo, even more feeling to it.

I absolutely agree. As a matter of fact, I get mad because most people around me disregard instrumentals as if it was lesser music...Where is the world going to.
Quote by Spaztikko

if it doesn't have words, it's not a song. sorry if you disagree -- look up the verb "to sing".
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf

if it doesn't have words, it's not a song. sorry if you disagree -- look up the verb "to sing".

I love you. Really. On a more serious note (not that I don't like you), is it just called an instrumental or is there another name for those ? In French, "chanson" means song and "chanter" means "to sing" but we usually tolerate the term for instrumentals as well.
Quote by SuperWeirdoUG
I love you. Really. On a more serious note (not that I don't like you), is it just called an instrumental or is there another name for those ? In French, "chanson" means song and "chanter" means "to sing" but we usually tolerate the term for instrumentals as well.

oh, well, if we're talking about tolerance, that's another matter entirely. we tolerate lots of misnomers like that in english -- that doesn't make them correct.

a song refers to a composition that has lyrics. an instrumental refers to a composition that does not. i mean, they're as opposite as black and white.
Quote by AeolianWolf
oh, well, if we're talking about tolerance, that's another matter entirely. we tolerate lots of misnomers like that in english -- that doesn't make them correct.

a song refers to a composition that has lyrics. an instrumental refers to a composition that does not. i mean, they're as opposite as black and white.

And there I was waiting for you to declare your love for me too :P
Quote by SuperWeirdoUG
And there I was waiting for you to declare your love for me too :P

sorry, man, you's too old for me.

also, i know gay marriage is legal here, but i ain't one of those doors that swings both ways.
Quote by AeolianWolf
oh, well, if we're talking about tolerance, that's another matter entirely. we tolerate lots of misnomers like that in english -- that doesn't make them correct

Doesn't make it incorrect IMO.
I'm not a James Hetfield fan
My username is "hames jetfield" because "farty mriedman" sounds weird.

Quote by laid-to-waste
i have rabies from licking my pet rat's face

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
Quote by hames jetfield

if you're going to tell me that the shit inside pencils is actually lead, you'd best get your head examined.

it's not incorrect to you because you've never actually given it the thought. just like how that other guy said "more rare" sounded better to him than "rarer" in that other thread. but "rarer" is correct. "more rare" is not.

it's not a matter of opinion. it's a matter of categorization.
Quote by AeolianWolf
if you're going to tell me that the shit inside pencils is actually lead, you'd best get your head examined.

I'm just saying that LASER is a better name than LOSER. Some misnomers exist just for the lack of a better word.

Quote by laid-to-waste

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
Last edited by hames jetfield at Mar 11, 2012,
Quote by hames jetfield
I'm just saying that LASER is a better name than LOSER. Some misnomers exist just for the lack of a better word.

first, what? and, second, no. laser is an acronym, not just "lack of a better word".

and there IS a better word. we have them both -- "song", and "instrumental". they both mean different things. misnomers don't exist because there are no better words -- misnomers exist because people who have limited understanding about something (i.e. playing B dorian over a B minor chord in A major) call it so.

yes, i just turned this into a mode thread.
lets turn it back: in modern english, without getting all dictionary-nazi on me, you can sing a song and you can also play a song, with a song being a piece of music.

chillax bruv.
ohmygod this place has gotten so much worse since i've been gone...

grammar in a music thread? can't we just call all music music and be done with it?

edit: i mean i'm on aeolianwolf's side, i just find it silly you guys care that he's got good grammar. you're basically saying "ope, he's right and i'm wrong, therefore i better call him an ass"
Last edited by TMVATDI at Mar 12, 2012,
Quote by Spaztikko
lets turn it back: in modern english, without getting all dictionary-nazi on me, you can sing a song and you can also play a song, with a song being a piece of music.

chillax bruv.

haha, i love being called a nazi. because that means i'm correct about what we're talking about. unless it's in the racial cleansing sense. then i don't like it so much. the poor man's fallback argument, yes? i've been through enough debates (outside of this forum, of course) to have seen that shit pulled countless times.

and who says i'm not chill? the only reason you feel that is because you're fighting a losing argument. that's what happens in debates. of course you can say that in modern english. you can say a lot of things in modern english that are completely illogical, tolerable or otherwise.
Quote by AeolianWolf
first, what? and, second, no. laser is an acronym, not just "lack of a better word".

And it is a wrong acronym. The correct one would be LOSER. The acronym LASER was used instead because MASER was already in existence and LASER was something similar. Does not mean that the person who coined the term had no idea what he was talking about.
Personally, I prefer instrumental but I won't kill someone if they used song instead. The message should be as clear as it needs to be.

Quote by laid-to-waste

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
Quote by hames jetfield
And it is a wrong acronym. The correct one would be LOSER. The acronym LASER was used instead because MASER was already in existence and LASER was something similar. Does not mean that the person who coined the term had no idea what he was talking about.
Personally, I prefer instrumental but I won't kill someone if they used song instead. The message should be as clear as it needs to be.

Aoelianwolf isn't saying he's gonna flip out if somebody calls an instrumental a "song," he's just making it clear that it's improper to do so.
Quote by hames jetfield

Using a term to represent the exact opposite of its correct definition doesn't make it incorrect?

I don't really care too much when people use that term, but there is a distinction.
Quote by TMVATDI
Aoelianwolf isn't saying he's gonna flip out if somebody calls an instrumental a "song," he's just making it clear that it's improper to do so.

Quote by :-D
I don't really care too much when people use that term, but there is a distinction.

pretty much sums up my views on the topic. i haven't gone (and do not plan to go) on a conniption fit. but it's absolutely incorrect. that's it.

i'll give you the laser deal, though. i have no argument against that.