Hey I'm looking to buy a mixer to record my band and I was wondering what the best way to connect it to my computer would be. I've heard that you can just go directly from the mixer into the computer's mic input, but will the sound quality be ok if I do it this way? Also, what's the best way to record 2 guitars, bass, drums, possibly keyboard, and vocals? I'm assuming layering the tracks would sound the best, plus I wouldn't have to buy a mixer with more than 4 inputs. Thanks for your help.
My gear:

Fender Highway one Telecaster
Squier Strat (highly upgraded)
Ibanez Rg120
Various effect pedals
Fender Fontman 65r guitar amp
Alvarez rd4102c acoustic-electric guitar
You don't want a mixer, you want a recording interface that connects via USB or FireWire.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yeah I know about audio interfaces, but none of them have enough mic inputs. I need at least 4 to mic drums. Correct me if I'm wrong but can't I use a mixer and go from tape out into the computers mic input or sound card using a mixer like the Mackie 1202-VLZ3 Compact Mixer? I saw a video on youtube I think that showed how to do that, but does that way work well?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA-mg9IxOFk
My gear:

Ibanez Rg120
Various effect pedals
There are plenty of 4 and 8 channel interfaces out there.

Yes, you can do that, but once you do that, you're stuck with all your EQ/effects/panning/etc. settings you've done on the mixer. You won't be able to bring in separate tracks for each instrument/mic, you'll get one big stereo file, and the only thing you can do with it at that point is EQ/compress/limit it globally. You have no control over the mix, so in order to change anything, you'll have to retrack the thing all over again.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Oh ok I see what your saying. So the interface allows you to record all the instruments at the same time, but it layers them so you can add effects, set eq, etc. to each instrument, where as with the mixer to layer them I'd have to record each instrument separately?
My gear:

Ibanez Rg120
Various effect pedals
Basically, yes.

An interface would allow you to record each input to a separate track on your computer, whereas a mixer would just be one, or two (left & right) files.

Say you're recording a drumset. With an interface, you can record the snare, kick, toms and cymbals on separate tracks and then apply and change EQs, levels, compressors, reverbs, etc. at a later time, while still having access to the "dry" tracks. With a mixer, you're going to have one file that has all of those parts in one, this means, you'll have to set all your levels and effects before you hit record, and you can't change them afterwards. You can certainly add effects to the track after it's been recorded, but you're going to be mixing the entire drumset, which gives you far less control over the sound, as any changes you make will be applied to the snare, kick, toms AND cymbals, all at the same time.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Ok thanks a lot for your help!
My gear:

Ibanez Rg120
Various effect pedals
Can mixers with a USB out record into seperate tracks?
Originally posted by supersac
mmh no one has seen god...
no one has seen your penis...
...YOUR PENIS MUST BE GOD!
Quote by mitchgosche2011
Can mixers with a USB out record into seperate tracks?

It depends on the mixer, but in most cases, they will only send a left and right signal.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I've been looking for some interfaces to record with but I'm not really sure what to look for, any suggestions? Also, will they work with audacity or do I need another type of recording software? Thanks.
My gear:

Ibanez Rg120
Various effect pedals