So if I put a 25w jensen c8r in my my vox valvetronix vt15 will it give me a "bigger sound" (louder, clearer cleans, crunchier distortions) then the factory speaker. I like my vox. I am not looking to spend hundreds of dollars to upgrade to a JVM or an AC15 or a Front man. I just play around my house.

So for 30 bucks would it be worth the upgrade? the only reason I am asking is cause as a modeling amp I am not sure what kind of difference it would make (volume, tone, brightness, smoothness, etc)

Any input would be greatly appriciated.
Last edited by jsspang at Mar 10, 2012,
I may be wrong, but I dont think a higher powered speaker will give you a ""bigger sound" (louder, clearer cleans, crunchier distortions)".
If the current speaker is distorting, a more powerful speaker will be an improvement.
Also, every speaker has its own tone, so that will change a bit.

But the speaker wont give you a bigger sound unless there is something wrong with the current one.
---
Quote by Robfreitag
I may be wrong, but I dont think a higher powered speaker will give you a ""bigger sound" (louder, clearer cleans, crunchier distortions)".
If the current speaker is distorting, a more powerful speaker will be an improvement.
Also, every speaker has its own tone, so that will change a bit.

But the speaker wont give you a bigger sound unless there is something wrong with the current one.

Right, I may not have been exactly clear. So if I put a 25w speaker in a 15w amp it will be under powered.... Underpowered or not, will a higher quality speaker give me a better tone/sound???
the speaker has its own character, so the tone will change a bit for sure. as far as volume, the wattage doesn't make a whoooole lot of difference.. you'll have more clean headroom, but what makes a bigger difference in volume between speakers is the sensitivity. the c8r's sensitivity is 92.7db..which is lower than most larger speakers, but I'm not totally sure what the average is for 8" speakers..
I'm also not sure what the stock speaker is, but I'd feel safe guessing that the jensen will open up your tone a bit more for sure.

edit: didn't notice the other posts.. but really you're almost always underpowering a speaker. even with a 15W speaker in a 15W amp, you're not really pushing 15W into it unless your volume is all the way up. even then it's probably not a full 15W

so 15W into 25W is totally normal, you won't be doing anything odd there
Last edited by james4 at Mar 10, 2012,
Quote by james4

edit: didn't notice the other posts.. but really you're almost always underpowering a speaker. even with a 15W speaker in a 15W amp, you're not really pushing 15W into it unless your volume is all the way up. even then it's probably not a full 15W

so 15W into 25W is totally normal, you won't be doing anything odd there

Good point, I guess I didn't look at it that way.... will it still break up descent though if its underpowered?
Last edited by jsspang at Mar 10, 2012,
Quote by jsspang
I am not looking to spend hundreds of dollars to upgrade to a JVM or an AC15 or a Front man.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020

but yeah basically what james4 is saying (apart from his edit at the end... valve amps are often putting more than their rated wattage into a speaker, if cranked anyway).

i'm guessing it's probably going to be better than the stock speaker, but i could be wrong. also depends on what type of tone you're going for.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

i like how he stops chewing for a second.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
same here
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?