So, I've had this guitar for a while. I just haven't played it because it was painful. literally. It is an ovation Elite 1778T.

The action on her was high. It actually was painful making any chord. I brought her into Guitar Center to be set up so I could play her without bleeding every time. Well, long story short don't ever go to guitar center for a 'set up'. I was told it'll take about 45 minutes. So I wandered the store, all the time keeping an eye on what the tech was doing. Well Mr Dickface comes and gets me after about 20 minutes. All he did was change the strings and remove ALL the shims from the guitar and then retune it. All the lower frets were amazing! Anything below the 10th fret was as low as my electrics. However... ANYTHING above that didn't buzz... it didn't ring... IT WAS DEAD. You'd pick a note and hear 'Click'. Just the sound of the pick coming off of the string.

I looked up at Mr Dickface and didn't say a word. He said 'You told me to get the action as low as I could... I said "Yes. Mr. Dickface, I did. However I thought common sense would tell you that the guitar needs to be PLAYABLE as well."

He proceeded to tell me that he'd have to add shims to fix the problem but that would raise the action and again, make it hard to play. I asked him... What is the action at the nut... he said... 'Huh? the strings rest on the nut...' I asked him if he measured the string, to the 1st fret... He said 'yes'. I asked him what that measurement was... Conveniently he had to DIG IN A DRAWER TO GET HIS RULER OUT.

Well, needless to say I told him first to put lighter strings on it. I am not used to acoustic and the strings had too much tension on them for my fingers which is why I bleed when I play. Well, he put 14's on the guitar. I had 12's. he said 'Well I like these, they are amazing on my Taylor'. Dude... its a ****ing ovation. Not a taylor. While I absolutely love this guitar who are you kidding. I told him "I had 12s on my. Please put 11's on, and raise the action so ALL of the notes are playable without buzz. The lighter strings will make it easier for me to play with action higher than as low as you have it".

Well, he set it up with the strings I asked for and raised the action slightly. The higher notes don't have the sustain I'd like, however I'm pretty new to acoustic anyway and This will allow me to get used to them and from there I can move up.

Maybe I was naive in going to GC expecting a real setup? He literally said the only thing he could do to correct high action was to remove/add shims... :-( I did a lot of reading up on this over the past 24 hours and I know there are several things you can do. He just chose to NOT do any of them.
I've had decent setups from GC but you're taking a chance, and even if they are well done they are invariably overpriced and often with a slow turnaround. I'd recommend finding a tech/luthier and going to them every time. You'll get a much better price and almost certainly have it back sooner than going to GC in my experience. Sorry to hear about all that, hopefully it is at least playable now :/
Die troll

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
Quote by GeetarHeero
I've had decent setups from GC but you're taking a chance, and even if they are well done they are invariably overpriced and often with a slow turnaround. I'd recommend finding a tech/luthier and going to them every time. You'll get a much better price and almost certainly have it back sooner than going to GC in my experience. Sorry to hear about all that, hopefully it is at least playable now :/

It is very playable right now. The humor was watching him change the strings, remove the shims and call it done. He didn't measure anything he didn't check neck relief. He was trash, plain and simple.

The only luthier I know in area is a total dick. He did a setup for me in the past and spent 20 minutes telling me the guitar isn't worth crap when it is a custom built warmoth that I personally love and would never get rid of. By far the most amazing guitar I have ever owned and i have owned high end ESP's and Ibanez Jems. So I refuse to go to someone who thinks because every guitar he owns costs 3000k+ that he is somehow a better person than the next guy.
Damn man that sucks. Luckily I was able to track down a really cool tech in my area who did my new guitar's first set up, nut, and frets for a great price, and we're gonna jam soon to boot. Keep searching hopefully you'll be able to track someone down who is both competent and down to earth!

Also, idk what that luthiers problem is 'cause that guitar looks incredible lol.
Die troll

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
Quote by syntheticocean
It is very playable right now. The humor was watching him change the strings, remove the shims and call it done. He didn't measure anything he didn't check neck relief. He was trash, plain and simple.

The only luthier I know in area is a total dick. He did a setup for me in the past and spent 20 minutes telling me the guitar isn't worth crap when it is a custom built warmoth that I personally love and would never get rid of. By far the most amazing guitar I have ever owned and i have owned high end ESP's and Ibanez Jems. So I refuse to go to someone who thinks because every guitar he owns costs 3000k+ that he is somehow a better person than the next guy.

Wow, that sucks.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
i would never get my stuff fixed in any major guitar chain.

i asked the guys in a sam ash today about a floyd rose discovery model they had used. I had enver seen em before and seriously considered buying it.

i aksed about its origins and about the strings. there were 2-3 sam ask emplyoes oogling at it because they thought it was a yamaha and said "floyd only makes trems man..."

no. just no. and then i asked "do you guys know who makes / how to get the doubel ball speed loader strings? know who makes em?"

reply: "doubel ball speedloaders? uh..i think ernie ball???"

no. just no.

the pick guard was slightly warped in the center. not a huge issue. it was definitely noticable and raise off the body a tad. it did affect the way the pickups rested in the body.

the guy said " well look man, it just makes the pickup look more flush, its better this way.."

no. just no. a defect in the guitar cannot be justified by such a rediculously incorrect observation.

...it really is sad. you would think employees in a guitar shop would actually know something about a guitar. there was one guy in there who knew his shit and we talked about a original 1960s mosrite they had on the wall.

they also had a dead sexy Guild Bluesbird. i picked it up and a younger employee said " hey man you should look at a les paul, its a single cut and way better. that things never gonna sell."

...again. wow. i would kill for that guild. it was probably the best guitar in the whole store. that and PRSs, but everybody sees those.
Last edited by ikey_ at Mar 10, 2012,
People who describe their guitars as female are creeps.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
People who describe their guitars as female are creeps.

How does it make you feel knowing that I was thinking of duct taping a fleshlight to the back of the body. When I'm playing her I can also be... well, you know. ;-)
Quote by syntheticocean
How does it make you feel knowing that I was thinking of duct taping a fleshlight to the back of the body. When I'm playing her I can also be... well, you know. ;-)

Dude, grotuesk
Quote by tjpokomo
i freakin hate GC~ so overpriced! like seriously

Yea. I was looking at the straps while waiting for my guitar... I saw one for 70$... **** that. It'd better be made from the flesh of a dozen virgins for that price. I didn't get around to finding one that was affordable cause thats when Mr. Dickface came to tell me my guitar was 'done(getting the strings changed)
YESSSSS SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS! syntheticocean.
i went to a small place down in the loop (delmar loop) and bought a pair of earnie ball strings for 6 bucks. GC its 8$ (if not more)
Quote by tjpokomo
YESSSSS SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS! syntheticocean.
i went to a small place down in the loop (delmar loop) and bought a pair of earnie ball strings for 6 bucks. GC its 8$ (if not more)

I always order my strings online in bulk. I have 5 electric and 1 acoustic so I burn through them pretty quickly.
Synthetic... No Ovation should be hard to play... Ever! Unless the neck is totally screwed, it should play like an electric. As for the GC tech who worked on it, tell management. You are dissatisfied with the work and his incompetence. Hell you can pull shims and change strings as well as he can. A properly adjusted neck and action set are what make the difference between playable and not.

Check over at the Ovation Fan Club. Someone there should be able to give you the name of a good tech who is familiar with Ovations. Good luck.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Quote by tjpokomo
i freakin hate GC~ so overpriced! like seriously

You think you have it bad? A guitar costing $1000 there is £1000 here. Everything in the UK costs 1.5x the amount it does in the states. And that's not even including tax.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
You think you have it bad? A guitar costing $1000 there is £1000 here. Everything in the UK costs 1.5x the amount it does in the states. And that's not even including tax.

But do you guys make more than us? I'm in new York and we're lucky to make 10$ an hour. I've been at my current job for 3 years and I only make 9.74$.
The £ is worth more than the $ right now.

But to TS, if the tech problems are really that bad in your town, why not learn to set up the guitar yourself? I've never had my guitars set up for me, and they feel perfect .
yeah i forgot that detail? is it an american ovation?

i think ovations play better than any acoustic period. ever. well, atleast any ive ever seen. i cant speak for custom builds.