Page 1 of 2
hi guys my plan is to pick up one of the above and stick emgs in her i know the custom is a superior guitar but soundwise would there be much of a difference i read that a lot of the differences are cosmetic for me am just looking for a nice tone
that cant be right I see the custom is just under £3000 and the studio is around £1300 - surely people aren't paying that much extra just for cosmetics?!!!!!! for me I just play at home so its just sound that Im interested in
I'm assuming that you're talking about LP's, and there are some differences between them. other than some differences in hardware and electronics, the most notable difference is going to be the quality of woods on visible parts (fingerboard and top). the custom will have nicer slabs of wood, so it should resonate better and have a slightly clearer sound. not sure its worth a couple grand, but it makes a difference.

that being said, if all you want to do is drop EMG's in it (I suggest an 18v mod for an LP), go to a shop and grab the one that plays and resonates best. though they're getting better, Gibson's do vary from one to another. picking the one that resonates best will give you the strongest tone. picking one that plays well should have self-evident benefits.
jeez thanks for that man - what you mean when you say "I suggest an 18v mod for an LP"? so like if a custom is 10/10 for da sound from the top wood what would ya reckon a studio would be outta 10? I know its very subjective but just wanna see if the LP Gibson Custom would be worth the extra $$$ ps am probably gonna get one second hand whichever I go for as its gonna be my metal guitar probably as I have an Ibanez JEM7 already
Presuming you're buying new, (as specs have changed over the years) current les paul studios employ chambering which the customs do not have. This in my opinion doesn't drastically change tone but some people have suggested it loses some thickness to the sound compared to the none chambered bodied Custom, I imagine if your thinking of EMGs your going for a heavy sound so may want to consider this. Expect a difference in build quality if not a large one, considering both are fairly high end guitars.

Personally I can't say I agree with in my opinion ruining a Gibson, with EMGs but make sure you know what your doing electrically speaking. I think you could get a perfectly good metal sound for far cheaper.
SMILE!
Last edited by Mr.DeadDuck at Mar 10, 2012,
thanks again u guys are great. yeah I just am looking for a beautiful powerful knock yer socks off deep tone. i hear hetfield with his old gibson get a great sound and I luv the sound of the full mahogany tone and dat nice and creamy Zakk Wylde sound where ya can hear d wood sing
I'd rather use the Ibanez JEM7 for metal and the Les Paul for everything else, though.
in terms of build the custom will be vastly superior.

however, if your putting EMGs in it, your tone is almost entirely coming from the pups and your amp. i would say the guitars tone has very little to do with this decision. it is really how much you care about looks, fit and finish, and build quality. if the studio plays well or as good as the custom, i would say in the end they will both end up sounding relatively the same.
If I had a dollar for every person who has said to me over the years that EMGs make everything sound the same, I could retire right now. Right now I've got two EMG guitars, one an all mahogany guitar and the other an alder/maple guitar. By that logic, I shouldn't be able to discern a difference in tone. After all, they make everything sound the same right? There is a big difference in tone and how the pickup responds. By most logic, that would mean every EMG pickup just sounds different. Or a more realistic proposal is that they don't sound the same in every guitar. They will sound different in different guitars. Period.

In similar guitars they will still sound different. Better woods are in the Custom, meaning it's going to resonate better and be clearer in tone. In addition, the binding also adds some flavor to the tone as well. So while the EMGs might sound similar, they will sound different in a Studio vs. a Custom. I've never had EMGs in a Custom, but from having owned a few Customs and a Studio model, I can for sure say the Custom just has that special something a Studio doesn't. You can tell they put in a lot of extra work into it, cosmetically as well as construction. Studios are great guitars don't get me wrong. My Customs were all used. They're great, but I can get a used one for like $2500 where a new one is nearly $4000.
Quote by Fenderexpx50
If I had a dollar for every person who has said to me over the years that EMGs make everything sound the same, I could retire right now. Right now I've got two EMG guitars, one an all mahogany guitar and the other an alder/maple guitar. By that logic, I shouldn't be able to discern a difference in tone. After all, they make everything sound the same right? There is a big difference in tone and how the pickup responds. By most logic, that would mean every EMG pickup just sounds different. Or a more realistic proposal is that they don't sound the same in every guitar. They will sound different in different guitars. Period.

In similar guitars they will still sound different. Better woods are in the Custom, meaning it's going to resonate better and be clearer in tone. In addition, the binding also adds some flavor to the tone as well. So while the EMGs might sound similar, they will sound different in a Studio vs. a Custom. I've never had EMGs in a Custom, but from having owned a few Customs and a Studio model, I can for sure say the Custom just has that special something a Studio doesn't. You can tell they put in a lot of extra work into it, cosmetically as well as construction. Studios are great guitars don't get me wrong. My Customs were all used. They're great, but I can get a used one for like $2500 where a new one is nearly $4000.

Binding doesn't change the tone... Like, at all. It's purely cosmetic. But otherwise, you're entirely right. EMGs are not the tone-dead things people make them out to be.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Mar 10, 2012,
It's been a while since I've had a Custom, but I remember the tone being slightly warmer than a Studio. I always attributed that to the binding, since Customs have layered binding. I figured that binding added more weight which meant a slightly warmer tone. Maybe it was just in the wood.
Quote by Fenderexpx50
It's been a while since I've had a Custom, but I remember the tone being slightly warmer than a Studio. I always attributed that to the binding, since Customs have layered binding. I figured that binding added more weight which meant a slightly warmer tone. Maybe it was just in the wood.

Nah, it's just the wood, swiss cheesed vs chambered.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I haven't owned a Custom in about 7 years now. Mine were an '81, a '78, and a '93. I loved those guitars. They were my #1 go to instrument with a Soloist as a secondary. Good times. But now I sort of have that in my Epi and Jackson. But still, before I go off to get my performance degree, I'd like to get another Custom.
why not get a les paul standard :s studios arent that good and customs doesnt seem to be what you need
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

thanks for the feedback lads - I'd have to agree that emgs in different guitar sound different but am wondering just how different as the difference in price is over a grand. I'm still not sure. might have a look at the standard cheers
I think you want a ESP eclipse or an LTD EC-1000.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
its not that tehy are tone dead, but they are active. they are going to be a tad more sterile by definition. im not saying thats a bad thing if they give you the tone you want. EMGs are great pickups but they certainly do impart their own tone.

many people like this...which is why they are so popular.
There is a big, big difference between these two.

Studios are made on a production line. They use the most basic, standard parts. They'll get the job done but they're severely lacking behind the Customs, in more ways than simply the binding and inlays.
The current Customs are Custom Shop models. A few years ago there were Customs being made via regular production, but not any more. This is why the Customs cost twice what the Standards and Studios do. They get the best wood, they get the most hands-on attention and are fitted, finished and checked over by the most experienced of Gibson's builders. The Studio is a decent guitar; the Custom is as close to flawless as you can get.

That said, if you're hell-bent on sticking EMGs in then go with the Studio. Modding a Custom Shop guitar can ruin its value, but more importantly if you're the sort of person that likes EMGs then you're also probably the sort of person that would appreciate the slightly slimmer neck that the Studios tend to have. Grab a Faded Studio (or the new Satin Studio) and you'll have a decent "metal guitar" on your hands. By the time you play with active pickups with high gain you won't notice a difference between the tone of the Custom and the Studio. The Custom will still be built better but unless you're planning on touring the world soon, you probably won't notice that either.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
cheers for that guys I hear what your saying about the active pickups dominating the sound I play mostly metal but I want to get a beautiful tone as well - I'm playing mellower stuff like Zakk Wylde / Alice in Chain where am turning down the gain so am looking for a quality tone. its a tough call but I think u might have hit the nail on the head when u say it doesn't make sense modifying a custom so I might just go ahead with the studio or the faded studio. i see some online second hand Ill go along and check out can I get the "sound" I'm looking for thanks again to all your contributions guys
A Studio and a Custom might as well be two different guitars entirely. A decent Custom will blow any Studio out the water. Sounds, sustain, build quality, finish, pickups, hardware... Everything on a Custom is superior to a Studio. Customs even make the Standards look bad if you find a good one.
Quote by hgh_carey
cheers for that guys I hear what your saying about the active pickups dominating the sound I play mostly metal but I want to get a beautiful tone as well - I'm playing mellower stuff like Zakk Wylde / Alice in Chain where am turning down the gain so am looking for a quality tone. its a tough call but I think u might have hit the nail on the head when u say it doesn't make sense modifying a custom so I might just go ahead with the studio or the faded studio. i see some online second hand Ill go along and check out can I get the "sound" I'm looking for thanks again to all your contributions guys

You may want to look into EMG X.

Also EMG's "negating tone" is total bullshit. I've had EMG's in guitars with the *same* type of body wood, and it still sounded different, even through my modeler. Every guitar is unique.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
You may want to look into EMG X.

Also EMG's "negating tone" is total bullshit. I've had EMG's in guitars with the *same* type of body wood, and it still sounded different, even through my modeler. Every guitar is unique.
This is true, to an extent. If anything, EMGs run clean will make the differences between guitars much more obvious. But the vast majority of EMG users don't pay too much attention to their clean tone and are typically looking for a specific kind of distorted tone; once you start piling on that gain, the differences between guitars becomes much smaller.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Dunkelheit-164
Look into these
http://www.epiphone.com/News/Features/Features/2012/All-New-Prophecy-Les-Paul-Customs-Better-Than-Ever.aspx

And don't give me that 'but that's not a real Gibson' crap.
These guitars will kick butt!

Compared to his other options, all these offer is having active pickups already installed. Beyond that you're looking at worse wood (significantly worse, and perhaps not event he same species), a thick poly finish and your standard plastic nut.

Other than the Epiphone Elite/Elitist models, there really is no time when buying an Epiphone is a smart choice over buying a Gibson.
Ebony fingerboard,bound body,higher quality wood.better workmanship,stuff like that,not counting a couple of thousand bucks.I've got a 68 custom and a 68 goldtop.I've got a 60,s tribute goldtop studio,cost $1094.00 at guitar center.Baked maple fingerboard.I prefer the cheap one for recording.panhead201 They are great guitars for the money,and I don't have to worry about dropping it as much as the other one.
Last edited by panhead201 at Apr 2, 2012,
There's so a slight difference. Custom is expensiver, but well that has reasons. Custom is a lot better. As wood, as pickups, as hardware. And, putting emg's on a les Paul is not a very good idea. You want heavy tone? Go for a super distortion in your bridge. Drives your amp even better then active pickups. Yet let the neck pickup stay, it is really a perfect neck pickup they put on customs. Studio is simply cheaper version, with cheaper wood, craftmanship, and hardware, yet it is a real Gibson Les Paul. If you don't have enough bucks for custom, you can buy standard, which is the best one available for both price and quality, or you can buy studio for even cheaper. Buy if you search a LP custom with emg, try zakk wylde custom model.
Why not just buy an esp? They have the les paul body shape with emg's already in it
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
The chambered bodies don't handle active pickups very well.might be a lack of resonance,mahogony is'nt very dense,Idon't have the tschnical reasons but i've tried it and went back to humbuckers or p-90,s
[59 Goldtop,lefty
[72 ES-355-TDSV
[68 Black LP Custom,lefty
[68 Goldtop,lefty
[06 Schecter C-! Classic,,lefty
[28 National resonator
[Mesa triple rec Marshall "A"cab
["B"cab,4-12 Mesa,s
[Mesa Nomad 45,4-10,s,combo
[ 64 Gibson-ES-330-TDC
Customs have a much nicer neck (at least for me). The playability is night and day. After playing the standard and the custom ( and about every other LP Gibson puts out ) I "settled" on a standard because of the price difference. Play a studio then play a custom and you will see a HUGE difference in tone, playability and craftsmanship. It's worth it in my opinion.....
My Gear:

Jackson RR3 Pro
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender CD140 Acoustic/Electric
Line 5 HD500 effects unit
Marshall MA100

"Grunge was invented for people who can't play solos"
Quote by OldRhoadsFan
Customs have a much nicer neck (at least for me). The playability is night and day. After playing the standard and the custom ( and about every other LP Gibson puts out ) I "settled" on a standard because of the price difference. Play a studio then play a custom and you will see a HUGE difference in tone, playability and craftsmanship. It's worth it in my opinion.....

You're absolutely tight.There is a huge difference,for stage and recording I prefer a Standard,and I just love Goldtop,s.I would'nt consider it "settling"on a srandard.The only reason I have a Custom and my two ES,s is ebony fingerboards are faster for me.I prefer the standards for sound,P-90,s 0r buckers.Congrats on a great guitar.It,s like PRS,s.I love em,I just can't play any one I've ever tried,as well as a Gibson thinline neck.panhead201I know this is gonna make me some new(friends?haha bt I think grunge was invented for people who can't play guitar,but I think Dave Groehl is brilliant.He was Cobains drummer and look at his own stuff.And we shared a common opinion about mrs cobain
[59 Goldtop,lefty
[72 ES-355-TDSV
[68 Goldtop,lefty
[28 National resonator
["B"cab,4-12 Mesa,s
[ 64 Gibson-ES-330-TDC
I've got a 2006 Schecter Antique Amber C1 classic Diamond series,and I play the hell out of it all day when nobody,s lookin.I can hit the 24th fret as easy as the twelfth,it's got duncan buckers on it,two knobs and a 5 way switch,rosewood board,made in Petaluma,It was kinda a special one but they're all like that.Look in my pics,the top is beautiful,It's got more names than the Gueen of England.panhead201 and it's got more sustain than anything I own.5 piece neck-thru,string thru,locking tuners,jesus,this sounds like a commercial
[59 Goldtop,lefty
[72 ES-355-TDSV
[68 Goldtop,lefty
[28 National resonator
["B"cab,4-12 Mesa,s
[ 64 Gibson-ES-330-TDC
A 68 LP custom was my stage guitar fo years,and if we were playing big bars or smaller clubs,no sound guy effing with it,I could make it sound incredible,nothing like it.But I'd have maybe 40-50 all tube watts tilted behind me,you play with the right guys for enough time,you get your levels right,not some jerk wannabe with a PA makes everything sound like its coming out your AC vent.Metal grilles for empty JD bottles.By all means eat vacuum tubes,but not dead ones,they have no more power.THERE AINT NO BRAKEMAN ON THIS TRAIN !PANHEAD
[59 Goldtop,lefty
[72 ES-355-TDSV
[68 Goldtop,lefty
[28 National resonator
["B"cab,4-12 Mesa,s
[ 64 Gibson-ES-330-TDC
I've had both.. The custom is a better guitar .. I am almost sure it has a thicker maple top of the Mahogany body. A lot of customs were chambered to keep the weight down, and chambering can help sustain, and weight balance.. It's interseting because Gibson is doing it now to their cheaper guitars to compete in the market with cheaper overseas guitars..INHO.. Some have Maple necks instead of mahogany which makes them clearer sounding to me.. The neck wood is usually quartersawn, which is better and stronger, at least mine was. I think the standards are too, but might be wrong, but I don't think the studio's are.. Could be wrong.. I know the customs were at least. Also, they have the binding for looks, but they supposedly have tighter tolerances for neck to body fit, hand picked wood for resonance, the new one's have maple necks that are backed to give them a brown apperance, but they have that maple fingerboard feel. The older one's had Ebony, and I'd get one with Ebony. It's getting harder to get.. The 70's models are outstanding in my opinion. Now days though I think Gibson is really good. They're going the extra mile and they have a load of LP's now with different models.. You should be able to find one that's between the cost of a custom and a studio that has most of the features you want, but check out the sound above all.. ! Play them, and check them out unplugged. How do they sound.. Then plug them in to an amp that's yours if possible, or like yours and play like you would live or at home.. Studios are plenty good guitars.. I had a white one that had an ebony board and it was killer, but the best one I had was the studio lite which was hollowed out or chambered and you could hold a note until the cows came home.. it was killer and yet had that really resonant sound.. So, all things being equal, it's up to your ears.. Good luck and check out the Gibson web site. They have some great guitars! When I hit the lottery, I'm buying about 237 of them.. hehehe..
Tim
EMG"s are good in any guitar if that's what you want.. They are super quiet. You can't get shocked, and they are good for about any style but maybe jazz.. They don't sound sterile or the same.. I don't know why people say that. I think they give you the true sound of the guitar.. and just amplify it.. I also like Dimarzio's a lot.. I think though a good PAF pro from Dimarzio or even better yet a Norton would be great in any of the LP's.. Also, Duncan's Pearly Gates has loads of harmonics and sounds so clear and good without being ice pick in the ear treble in an LP. To me most LP's because of the woods and short scale sound muddier than a strat. An LP sounds like a blues guy on the corner, and a strat sounds like a choir singing in unison. Different animals.. But, EMG's in an LP of any type get rid of muddy sounds.. I love them.. I have some in a Jackson now which is a bolt on and they sound great!
Tim
Page 1 of 2