So we just added a bass player to my band and he plays a six string bass and prettt much plays it in standard tuning for a six string. The thing is the guitars are in C standard and drop Bb. What want to tune up to C standard because he says he'll snap his neck which I think is reasonable but hedoesnt want to tune down are there any otheralternatice tunings he can tune to? We don't to tune down the half step because it changes the qualities of the chords and parts we've written and we don't want it to sound dull. Any help? Oh and if you were wondering his tuning its (from low to high) B-E-A-D-G(/G#)?-B
http://circlekstrings.com/store/standard-drop-tuned-6-strings.html
Based around .142 or .150 if the bass player in question prefers higher tension.

That set should allow the bass player to have Bb/A# drop tuning without floppy strings. As far as normal string sets, tuning up a normal set up a half tone shouldn't snap the neck, but some truss rod adjustment will be needed. But Bb/A# will remind a rubber band.

EDIT: Be sure to check out all info on that site, before deciding to buy.
EDIT2: Of course if you want to experiment with tunings, Circle K offers single strings too.
Last edited by El_Bozo at Mar 10, 2012,
Try using the heaviest strings you can possible find. Put a Capo on the First fret (if a 6 string capo does not work, try a 12 string capo) and Drop tune 3 semitones to Bb. That's the best thing i can think of right now.
Alright thanks guys ill tell him about this stuff hopefully he'll consider it if not I might have to find a new bass player
Can't you guys just play all the same notes? I could easily play your songs with a 4 string bass in standard.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by jemhead93
Ya but he only plays a six and we do a lot of really fast riffing doing octave jumps with C being the 7th string or Bb being the 6th string here's some videos of the stuff I play www.youtube.com/user/Wereboy/videos

What do you know about notes on the fretboard? You do realise that he still has them yeah?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Ya I'm very aware but he doesn't seem to understand that he's even though I tried explaining it to him he had trouble fretting the C and trying to jump to the other notes even though he can simply play.them within the same finger position he insists on using the exact same frets we play.