Hey Everyone,

I'm new to this forum, as it was highly recommended to me by a friend of mine.

I haven't played guitar before, but have always had an interest in playing, and this same friend recommended an Epiphone Dove or Hummingbird as a first guitar.

Would either of these be a good choice? Anybody have any other suggestions as to what to get?

Thanks!
Welcome to UG....!

Not to give you a short answer, but have you digested this info yet? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233360

You have to compare the specs on these 2 guitars. While both are the same size, one is maple, the other mahogany. The maple body will trend toward being brighter.

Any of Epiphone's, "Masterbuilt" series would get higher recommendations here, but they come at a much higher price tag, and this is your first guitar.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 10, 2012,
what kind of music are you interested in playing? hummingbirds go for around 150US if you know where to look. good for john mayer/jack johnson kinda stuff. you can even get in some A7X or even Metallica with it. i've seen many postings here on the 'bird but. don't recall any stories on Doves if that helps.
epis don't have great qc, and don't sound great to me, except maybe the masterbilt series. that being said, if you like the way they sound, there ya go.

i generally suggest either the seagull original s6 (wonderful axe!), the yamaha fg700s or its slightly more expensive brother, the warmer sounding fg730s.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Thanks for the warm welcome and that thread Captaincranky, I'll give it a read . And yeah, my friend told me about the maple/mahogany thing, I guess I'll just have to see which sounds better.

stepchildusmc, just casual acoustic music I guess, as I haven't really played before. Thanks for the good advice.

Thanks for the suggestions patticake, I'll check those out.
happy hunting single. both choices arent bad ones( dont think any guitar that will get you playing is bad, tho some make you give up prematurely). i do like patti's suggestions better. for the money nothing beats an S6 or 700 series. dont forget that when you do make your selection, you'll have to post a NGD thread so we can all enjoy it also.
Another welcome!

I agree that the Seagull S6 is a superior guitar than either of the Epi's you are considering (at 2.5x the cost) - make sure you try the original and "S" series (slimmer -actually more standard neck). I bought one for my brother that's been playing for over 30 years when his old Gibson J45 got stolen - he LOVES the S6.

He can find, and pay for, a replacement '68 J45 on his own (it'll probably be his) ;-)

Spill.
hey guys. yea UG has been there for me time after time.
deff a good place to get started
Quote by spillproof
Another welcome!

I agree that the Seagull S6 is a superior guitar than either of the Epi's you are considering (at 2.5x the cost) - make sure you try the original and "S" series (slimmer -actually more standard neck). I bought one for my brother that's been playing for over 30 years when his old Gibson J45 got stolen - he LOVES the S6.

He can find, and pay for, a replacement '68 J45 on his own (it'll probably be his) ;-)

Spill.

My friend has a seagull and the tone is really nice. Are they worth the high price?
Quote by spillproof

I'm not sure where you're deriving this math. The base S-6 is about $420.00, http://www.zzounds.com/item--SEAS6 either the Epi Dove or Hummingbird can be had for $300.00. (+ 27% ?)

(I didn't recheck to see if the Epis are AE). If they were, that would change my take on the math.
Yes, they are a great deal as has been said here many times over. It's all relative, a brand new Santa Cruz Guitar will run you upwards of $7,000.00. Doesn't $450 sound better now?

and Sorry about the bad math - thanks for the correction Cranky.
Last edited by spillproof at Mar 10, 2012,
oh, thats not bad at all. MY friend said he shelled out 600$ + for his. thats a bit steep for an acoustic. Its more than im willing to spend at this moment is all.
Quote by spillproof
and Sorry about the bad math - thanks for the correction Cranky.
It wasn't really bad math, per se. The S-6 designation runs across 2 product lines and includes several models, some of which are AE, and some of which push the $600.00 mark.

I've been under the impression that the basic, "Original S-6", was what is normally recommended.

If you buy today, I think you can get 12% off a MF. (Only if you call).
that said, you can get 12 % off, plus a couple of extra points, by asking zZounds to match that price.

I don't know how eager to get the ball rolling, as it were, but it's as good a time as any.
Speaking as the friend who made the original recomendations, I really like the sound of the S-6, and the Yamaha as well. Completely forgot about Yamaha's line, being a primarily electric player haha.
Whatever guitar you decide to buy, you'll probably suffer from GAS at some point. (that's Guitar Acquistion Syndrome) Guitar players are fickle, always looking for something just a little more perfect...

However, whatever you buy, consider spending another 50 bucks or so and having it professionally set up. Many guitars are shipped with the action a bit high, and your brand-new fingers will thank you for having the action properly adusted.

I would say that more beginning guitar players quit because of finger pain caused by no set-up than any other reason.
Guess I have some choices to make, and some thinking to do.

Thank you all for the great suggestions and advice