Page 1 of 4
Even though back when Bush was president, the 1.80 dollar per gallon gas was blamed on him? Apparently, if somebody blames Obama, people say the president doesn't control the prices of gas. Is this a double standard? Or is nobody realizing that gas is reaching 5 bucks per gallon? (6 dollars in some states actually)
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Last edited by Jostry at Mar 10, 2012,
It's not his fault, it's Ron Paul's fault.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
bcuz he blax
UG's King Neptune

Quote by AtaBorMan
You're the biggest dick we've had in the Pit for a while.
Quote by SLEESTAK_BRO
Stop talking, you have are the biggest dick the pit has seen in a while.
But no, on a serious note, this is a good question. It's not anything that can be blamed on any previous president, and he explicitly campaigned about 'stopping the pain at the pump.' I mean, I'd much rather have $1.80 a gallon.
UG's King Neptune

Quote by AtaBorMan
Quote by SLEESTAK_BRO
Because your population has grown in intelligence enough to realise that nothing is ever really the president's fault and that he's just a fall guy for the government he stands for?

Wait no, that'll never happen: down with the ******! Obama? More like 'A bomber'! Guffaw!! amiritemerica?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
It's stupid to blame any president for gas prices because there is literally nothing they can do about it. The oil industry is going to charge what they want, because gasoline is inelastic and they are going to make money off of it.

Plus, Obama is getting blamed for it
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
It's $4.50 here. Fuck this shit...
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
It's stupid to blame any president for gas prices because there is literally nothing they can do about it. The oil industry is going to charge what they want, because gasoline is inelastic and they are going to make money off of it.

Not really... back when Bush was president, gas prices were one of the main topics and everybody blamed Bush. I don't see or hear many people blaming Obama for gas prices today. In fact, everyones saying that no president can control gas prices.

I just find it funny how Bush was blamed for 2 dollar gas by everybody, but 5 dollar gas under Obama's presidency is shrugged off as not his fault.
Quote by progdude93
Quote by Todd Hart
Because your population has grown in intelligence enough to realise that nothing is ever really the president's fault and that he's just a fall guy for the government he stands for?

Wait no, that'll never happen: down with the ******! Obama? More like 'A bomber'! Guffaw!! amiritemerica?

It's not his fault, per se, but he specifically says the he will lower gas prices. He has said this for 3+ years. Now, call me crazy, but the Keystone pipeline would do a damn sight more to reduce gas prices than investing in green energy, especially when there isn't even a market for green energy at this point in time. Oil cannot be replaced in the near future, and yet it's his plan to wean us off of oil.
UG's King Neptune

Quote by AtaBorMan
Quote by SLEESTAK_BRO
Quote by Jostry
I just find it funny how Bush was blamed for 2 dollar gas by everybody, but 5 dollar gas under Obama's presidency is shrugged off as not his fault.

Do you think it's Obama's fault?
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55

It's not even the oil industry, it's the oil speculators (ie. banks) than make up around 60% of the market and have the most influence on the prices.

Obama shouldn't be blamed for it and neither should have Bush. It was wrong then and it's wrong now.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
wow, so you're almost paying as much as every other western nation, boo hoo.

Quote by StillSublime
But no, on a serious note, this is a good question. It's not anything that can be blamed on any previous president, and he explicitly campaigned about 'stopping the pain at the pump.' I mean, I'd much rather have $1.80 a gallon.

$1.80?

that would be ludicrous in this day and age
In the UK it's close to $10 a gallon. $5 a gallon is how much it costs to make gas - deal with it.

Instead of complaining spend your time staring in wonderment that bottled water is more expensive and appreciate the feat of engineering and industry that gets the gas in your car for so little.

- To get to oil in the ground you have to dig down hundreds of feet with thousands/millions of dollars of high pressure drilling equipment.
- It's then sent hundreds of miles down a high pressure pipe (try making a non-leaky pipe system in your bathroom fro mthe sink to shower to get an idea of how tricky it would be to scale that up to a whole country with mountain ranges)
- It's then refined in a giant boiler into 10+ different products from methane to heavy oils (remember, this stuff is flammable - you refine it by heating it... with fire...)
- It's then put onto trucks and driven to a network of thousands of gas stations, each of which is well stocked near permanently
- it is then stored in sealed underground containers so it doesn't sponatneously catch fire (which it's liable to do)
- It's then pump at high pressure into your car

You get all that for cheaper than water...
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by Jostry
Not really... back when Bush was president, gas prices were one of the main topics and everybody blamed Bush. I don't see or hear many people blaming Obama for gas prices today. In fact, everyones saying that no president can control gas prices.

Well bush did stir up a lot of shit in the middle east that made it more difficult for us to get cheap oil.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by Diamond Dave
wow, so you're almost paying as much as every other western nation, boo hoo.

$1.80?

that would be ludicrous in this day and age

Boo hoo because it could be avoided very easily. Not everyone wants to waste their money on gas.

Remember a few years ago in Bush's term? $1.80. I know, I know.. That just doesn't seem right. Bush was SO MUCH WORSE than Obama.
UG's King Neptune

Quote by AtaBorMan
Quote by SLEESTAK_BRO
Wow, I didn't realize some people were paying that much. Gas just jumped from $3.30 to $3.64 a gallon here and everyone's complaining about that. I am too, with my 16mpg of course.
Quote by Alex Vik
Wow, I didn't realize some people were paying that much. Gas just jumped from $3.30 to $3.64 a gallon here and everyone's complaining about that. I am too, with my 16mpg of course.

Buy a better car.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by soul_power
Well bush did stir up a lot of shit in the middle east that made it more difficult for us to get cheap oil.

Yeah and when Bush left office, the national average was 2 dollars. Now it's climbing to 5 dollars, and some states are actually past that and are climbing towards 6 dollars. 2 dollar gas now looks cheap doesn't it?
Quote by progdude93
I "lol" when people blame the president on gas prices.

Especially people that defend Bush (when prices were also high) and use it to say "Why isn't our president helping". Maybe it's the fault of the oil industry, and not the fault of any presidents?

Edit:^ Source? I don't think I've seen gas below around $2.80 in my entire life, and that's when I was young.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Mar 10, 2012,
Quote by StillSublime
It's not his fault, per se, but he specifically says the he will lower gas prices. He has said this for 3+ years. Now, call me crazy, but the Keystone pipeline would do a damn sight more to reduce gas prices than investing in green energy, especially when there isn't even a market for green energy at this point in time. Oil cannot be replaced in the near future, and yet it's his plan to wean us off of oil.

As someone who has worked for a major US utility I can tell you the Keystone line was an economic disaster. The aim of it was to stop the reliance on the East coast line from the southern states up to the gas hungry northern cities (e.g. NY, Washington). As it has turned out, shale gas derived from fracking has provided more than enough alternative and so the pipeline build across the Rockies to connect to the midwestern gas fields isn't needed as much as it was 7 yrs ago when it was first proposed. If the US hadn't been able to access shale, you would b seeing much higher gas prices ($10/gal in US, $15 in Eur).

The shale gas reserves are a solution, but it's short term - even optimistic estimates put it at a max of 25 year life. That is not a energy supply for the future. Renewables (e.g. wind, solar) tend to come with a life of 25 years. If you don't start building now, you will have NOTHING to plug the gap when the shale runs out. That's before the environmental arguments even kick off.

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Because the media is for the most part, really liberal.
I smoke like Rasta, got hair like pasta
I be sippin' on them shots then bustin' rhymes like Busta

Load up the bong, crank up the song, let the informa call 911
Quote by Jostry
Yeah and when Bush left office, the national average was 2 dollars. Now it's climbing to 5 dollars, and some states are actually past that and are climbing towards 6 dollars. 2 dollar gas now looks cheap doesn't it?

Would you look at that? Prices started going down around election time and plummeted around Inauguration time. What a coincidence.

Pro Tip: It had nothing to do with Bush.

Quote by StillSublime

The Keystone Pipeline would have done absolutely nothing for gas prices in the United States. When you drill for oil in your own country, that oil doesn't stay in your country, it goes out into the international reserves and gets sold all over the world. A Republican Congressman actually proposed an amendment to the Keystone Pipeline bill to keep all of the oil we drilled in the U.S. and it was voted down by a significant majority.

That aside, the United States is at current record highs in domestic oil production...we're doing more drilling now than we ever did during the Bush years. By your logic, shouldn't gas prices be going down?
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Mar 10, 2012,
Quote by slipknot5678

Especially people that defend Bush (when prices were also high) and use it to say "Why isn't our president helping". Maybe it's the fault of the oil industry, and not the fault of any presidents?

Edit:^ Source? I don't think I've seen gas below around $2.80 in my entire life, and that's when I was young.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/11/16/news/economy/gas_prices_sunday/index.htm

By the time it was January 2009, it was around 1.80-2.30.
Quote by progdude93
Quote by vanhailin
Because the media is for the most part, really liberal.

I lol'd

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by Jostry

I see people all over the internet and hear people irl blaming Obama for it. You just happen to not be looking in the right places. Obama shouldn't be blamed, and Bush should not have, either.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by slipknot5678

I remember it being $0.80 a litre in Aus when I was little. That's about $2.40 per Gallon but back then I'm pretty sure the Aus dollar was weaker and the US dollar was stronger so it might have averaged out or some weird shit I dunno lol
Quote by doive
As someone who has worked for a major US utility I can tell you the Keystone line was an economic disaster. The aim of it was to stop the reliance on the East coast line from the southern states up to the gas hungry northern cities (e.g. NY, Washington). As it has turned out, shale gas derived from fracking has provided more than enough alternative and so the pipeline build across the Rockies to connect to the midwestern gas fields isn't needed as much as it was 7 yrs ago when it was first proposed. If the US hadn't been able to access shale, you would b seeing much higher gas prices ($10/gal in US, $15 in Eur).

The shale gas reserves are a solution, but it's short term - even optimistic estimates put it at a max of 25 year life. That is not a energy supply for the future. Renewables (e.g. wind, solar) tend to come with a life of 25 years. If you don't start building now, you will have NOTHING to plug the gap when the shale runs out. That's before the environmental arguments even kick off.
Hmm.. You have a point. But then again, that isn't the only way gas prices could be reduced.
UG's King Neptune

Quote by AtaBorMan
Quote by SLEESTAK_BRO
Edit: ^lol wat 'Zionist swine'. True Americans support Zionism silly, and Obama isn't a true American cause he's an evil Muslim.

Looks like I stand corrected by both of you. Maybe it's just both of the states I've lived in.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Mar 10, 2012,
get over yourselves. $5 a gallon is cheap as ****.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Wow. Here gas is like $2.10 a gallon at the moment.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

I think people assumed gas prices would go down because we invaded Iraq, so Bush got a bit of a bad rap for invading Iraq AND not making prices go down, whereas Obama never claimed to control the price of gas (that I know of).
Quote by StillSublime
Boo hoo because it could be avoided very easily. Not everyone wants to waste their money on gas.

Remember a few years ago in Bush's term? $1.80. I know, I know.. That just doesn't seem right. Bush was SO MUCH WORSE than Obama.

you appear to have a complete lack of understanding of supply and demand, and the world wide availability of oil.
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
I see people all over the internet and hear people irl blaming Obama for it. You just happen to not be looking in the right places. Obama shouldn't be blamed, and Bush should not have, either.

Yeah idk... I swear that there was a lot more talk about gas prices being Bush's fault back then, than Obama today. Even though it's not any president's fault.

It basically boils down to people over hate Bush, and over love Obama. A mix of both.
Quote by progdude93
Page 1 of 4