OK so basically the way I practice downpicking is I do it in 3 minute rounds, with 1 minute break in between, for 30 minutes. With the metronome on, I play 16 quarter notes on the low E, 16 eighths, and repeat. I have done this just about every day for the past 9 months.

For the first few months I progressed rather quickly from 108bpm to 168bpm, though for nearly 5 months now I cannot get any faster than that!

How do you guys practice downpicking to develop speed and endurance in the picking hand? I'm a lefty playing a righty guitar, if that matters...
i usually find a song that is difficult for me to downpick and then i keep practicing it until i can play it easily.
My Guitar Rig:
Peavey 6505+ Head
Peavey 6505 slant cab
MXR Smart Gate
MXR Noise Clamp
Ibanez ts-9 tubescreamer
Ibanez RGA72tqm with EMG 81/85

Other Guitar Gear:
Fender Vibro Champ
TTM Guitars Devastator
LTD EC-200
Dude, you have to start taking baby steps, now, before you start feeling like you aren't going to ever learn to really play the damned thing.

Don't think of it as downpicking faster, think of it as "hey, I like this sone, so I am going to learn it". Learn it one run at a time, as if that song is 15 really short songs all put together. You have reached a plateau, and really only time on strings can get you past that into a new realm of playing.

Want to get better? Stop thinking in minutes and think in hours.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Want to get better? Stop thinking in minutes and think in hours.

Some of the best advice one could give. Good post.
http://www.twitter.com/iamcIine

ESP Eclipse II Standard
Krank Revolution+
Krank Revolution 4x12
MXR 10-Band EQ
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR Custom Comp
Maxon OD808
Boss NS-2
As stated above, you'll have to invest more time into it.

Then what i do (I believe this is very personal to me, cause i havent heard that many people say it before, but just throwing it out there as an advice) when i get stuck is i stop using the metronome. And i rather just sit and play (with a timer) at the highest tempo i can play cleanly and relaxed. For me this works to get over those barriers smoother. But as said, everyone's different. But you could atleast give it a try.

Hope that helped somewhat, good luck!
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Thanks for all the replies guys! I bumped up the speed to 176bpm and I've only practiced for half an hour so far, and I've already noticed an improvement!

I think my problem was that I was too focused on getting to the point where my picking hand was extremely relaxed at 168, but now I understand that this technique doesn't work as well for downpicking as it does for something like sweep picking. Thank you guys for making me realize something I should have realized a long time ago

Now, I think Ill go practice some more...
Quote by ThtGuyOvrThere
Thanks for all the replies guys! I bumped up the speed to 176bpm and I've only practiced for half an hour so far, and I've already noticed an improvement!

I think my problem was that I was too focused on getting to the point where my picking hand was extremely relaxed at 168, but now I understand that this technique doesn't work as well for downpicking as it does for something like sweep picking. Thank you guys for making me realize something I should have realized a long time ago

Now, I think Ill go practice some more...

Wait, what? No, you should definitely be as relaxed as possible.

You're too impatient, improving your technique enough to get faster can take years...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by ThtGuyOvrThere
but now I understand that this technique doesn't work as well for downpicking as it does for something like sweep picking.

IT'S NOT ****ING SWEEP PICKING

I prefer the term "economy picking". The idea of either sweeping or not sweeping created crappy musicians that just sweep all day.

Economy or alternate.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
You have reached a plateau, and really only time on strings can get you past that into a new realm of playing.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Wait, what? No, you should definitely be as relaxed as possible.

You're too impatient, improving your technique enough to get faster can take years...

The more I practice at said bpm, the more relaxed I get, but everytime I step up to a higher bpm, I am not as relaxed, but as I practice more, I become more relaxed doing it, and then I move up again once I feel I'm relaxed enough to do so.

Do you honestly think I would practice the same thing every day for 8 months if I was so impatient?