Well, I've noticed that when I play music my brain creates personalities and stories for each note. It's really weird. For example, if one part of a song I slide from 3-5 then hit an open on the next string my brain is thinking something like, 3 and 5 are good friends, but they hate 0 (open) which keeps annoying them.

It's weird. Its not a conscious thing, I just always realise after I've practiced a song for a while that I'm actually thinking about stories between the notes when I play. Sometimes it makes me really hate playing a note, because my brain has derived that note to be the evil character. Sometimes it also helps me remember how to play songs, because I remember the "story".

Is this a normal thing for musicians?
It's normal for the sort of person that appears in a news report called "Man found with 8 severed heads in his freezer"

I don't actually believe that anything you said was true.
Last edited by MegadethFan18 at Mar 10, 2012,
hahaha I don't know about other people but I also do that a little bit. I usually separate sections of the songs out into nice and mean personalities. I never do it with individual notes though, there's always a group of notes that go together to make the personality.
Quote by MegadethFan18
It's normal for the sort of person that appears in a news report called "Man found with 8 severed heads in his freezer"

I don't actually believe that anything you said was true.

I'm listening to rust in peace right now.

OT though, if OP isn't messing around this is a pretty interesting reaction to music. And to answer your question directly, yes this is strange to me. But it's cool.
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Last edited by ItsThatDude at Mar 10, 2012,
Some riffs I write remind me of friends of mine or shows I like
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
I'm not lying guys! I'm not trying to say I'm a superhero or anything, its just something I've always wondered was normal or not. Although, kinda like a dream, I can't really remember an exact example from memory. Next time I'm practicing and I notice it I will write it down immediately.
I'm going to bet those characters change quite a bit depending on what key you're in.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I'm going to bet those characters change quite a bit depending on what key you're in.

Rats, no wonder I lack creativity. All I hear is one voice, telling me I have to restore the Dauphin to the throne of France....
no but I used to do something similar with numbers. 1, 3, 5, 6 were supposed to be "evil" numbers
I'm not a James Hetfield fan
My username is "hames jetfield" because "farty mriedman" sounds weird.

Quote by laid-to-waste
i have rabies from licking my pet rat's face

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
Quote by chronowarp
sounds like you need modes.
Perhaps, but then we'd ten pages to sort out who the character was, since you'd need to determine if you were indeed being haunted in a mode, which mode was eliciting to voices in your head, and which TV theme uses modal music in their intro, ad nauseum, ad infinitum.......
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 11, 2012,
Are you weird?

Short answer: Yes with an "if"
Long answer: No with a "but"
Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
id hat to be u while shredding or anything, your brain might explode with a story.....or everyone would be running everywhere? ;P

seriously though, that is kinda weird, although when im in the car i try and tap my feet to the rhythm of the song...then imagine that when my feet tap down, they send a laser out to either side of the car and i try to make all of the lasers connect to something on the road like the light reflectors or the gaps in the lines on the road or i try and make them go into a gap in the side of the raod, like the start of a foot path, a drive way or another road that turns off the one im on, and if i hit another car then i loose points :/

try it some time
Ibanez RG470AHZ
Squire Strat
Walden G630CE

Blackstar HT-40
Marshal MG30FX

OFFICIALLY A 'BEAUTIFUL PERSON'
I think OP is CRAZY

Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
I think I know what you are trying to say. I do something similar, but it's not characters - more like images. I think you may have a slightly overactive imagination however. But don't let anyone tell you that's a bad thing.