Hi, I'm making this thread of behalf of my friend who's internet is currently down.

I'm in need of a new electric guitar. My current Squier Affinity Strat is in pretty bad condition. I'm willing to spend up to $650 for a new guitar. I would say my amp is pretty good, so I don't think that's a problem. (My band got a new one ) I have a few guitars that I think would suit me: Fender Blacktop Stratocaster, PRS SE Singlecut Tremolo, Epiphone SG-400, Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul Custom. I'm willing to go used, if that helps at all. I'd prefer to keep it under $600 (but that PRS looks hella good). Thank you!

Edit: The amp he uses is, I believe, a Fender Mustang IV 150W combo amp.
The genre he plays ranges from contemporary music to hard rock.
Last edited by theKorean at Mar 10, 2012,
The musical genre your friend plays would be quite helpful for someone to provide suggestions. In fact, you could almost say that it would be.... INSTRUMENTAL! Ahahahaha!

... Sorry about that, i just got an overwhelming urge to use an incredibly bad pun. But seriously, what genre of music does your friend play?
Sorry for the lack of information.
The amp he uses is, I believe, a Fender Mustang IV 150W combo amp.
The genre he plays ranges from contemporary music to hard rock.
Bass:
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Acoustic Guitar:
Squier SA-100
Last edited by theKorean at Mar 10, 2012,
Im also looking at those guitars. The blacktop, the single cut, and a different epiphone les paul. I would suggest you also look at the Vintage v100. I have the SG-400 it sounds good through a good amp but i dont think its quite as good as guitars like the prs se singlecut (better feel) and the fender blacktop (coil tapping).
I think he needs to narrow down the type of sound he's after. He knows what he wants to play, now he needs to figure out what sound he wants for that. All the guitars listed would work for what he wants, but he needs to play them (if possible) and decide which feels and sounds the best for his application. Every player is different in not only their taste for feel, but for sound as well. Each guitar listed is going to sound different from the others. No one is the right one in a broad sense, the only right one is the one he chooses.
Quote by Fenderexpx50
I think he needs to narrow down the type of sound he's after. He knows what he wants to play, now he needs to figure out what sound he wants for that. All the guitars listed would work for what he wants, but he needs to play them (if possible) and decide which feels and sounds the best for his application. Every player is different in not only their taste for feel, but for sound as well. Each guitar listed is going to sound different from the others. No one is the right one in a broad sense, the only right one is the one he chooses.

+1

specificity is a good thing. What guitars does he like to play? Which doesn't he like to play? what do you mean by contemporary music?
"I like les paul and strat shapes, but I'll be fine with almost anything (except ibanez). By contemporary I mean songs like Deeper by Hillsong United [yea,my band's Christian :P])
Bass:

Acoustic Guitar:
Squier SA-100
I'm a huge PRS fan, but I wonder if he really needs a tremolo on his Singlecut. That's something to think about. (I'm just not a fan of tremolo bars in general personally, but that's up to him.) I would choose the PRS over either of the Epiphones. I've heard good things about the Blacktop series from Fender. I like Teles more than Strats, but again, personal preference. I'd go with either the Singlecut or the Blacktop Strat if I were your friend. I think both guitars would suit the contemporary Christian style fine.
He would like to know if there's any guitar that would be under $600 that's used.
Bass:

Acoustic Guitar:
Squier SA-100
Quote by theKorean
He would like to know if there's any guitar that would be under $600 that's used.

yes. there are lots.

it would really help alot if we knew what he wanted. features, construction, anything really. there are literally hundreds of guitars that might work
Quote by theKorean
[yea,my band's Christian :P])

Telecaster+delay+reverb

done.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Quote by moscaespañol
Telecaster+delay+reverb

done.

Would a Blacktop Telecaster work? Because he wants to play songs from bands like Skillet and Thousand Foot Krutch.
Bass:

Acoustic Guitar:
Squier SA-100
Last edited by theKorean at Mar 11, 2012,
I still think the PRS would be his most versatile choice. Skillet use PRS guitars, and the Singlecut can produce some great cleans as well. If the majority of the music he plays is like Hillsong United, then he could probably save some cash and go with the Tele. But if he's going to play harder stuff like Skillet or TFK a decent amount too, I'd go with a PRS.
I would avoid the blacktop's for what he's doing. they're good guitars, but the pickups are a little too weak for the heavier stuff.

I would, however, suggest a fender telecaster custom FMT. they have really solid pickups and the thing can rock. it also has lovely clean tones that are really nice and lively. just a solid guitar, and they're pretty easy to find for $600ish
I'd probably got for the Les Paul or SG. If your getting a Fender, don't get one from the blacktop series. Save up and get an american standard or anything classic like and 82 MIJ.

The SG and Les Paul will give you a really nice crunchy sound, and with the Fender amp you should be able to get some great cleans out of the guitar. If your looking at mostly clean/light overdrive sounds I would recommend a strat or a tele.
I thought single coil couldn't handle the high gain
Bass:

Acoustic Guitar:
Squier SA-100
Quote by theKorean
I thought single coil couldn't handle the high gain

pretty much right. while single coils can handle some degree of gain, some of the rock stuff mentioned prior simply isn't going to work too well with single coils.

better off getting something with humbuckers
Well, my friend just got back from guitar center and said he likes the feel and sound of the Blacktop Telecaster and the SG-400. Any other guitars you guys might want to recommend?
Bass:

Acoustic Guitar:
Squier SA-100
I've got some high end stuff but it hangs on the wall unless Im after a particular sound.The thing I use the most is a Schecter C-1 Classic.I'ts got a duncan jazz humbucker in the neck and a hotter one in the bridge.Its got two knobs and a 5 way switch.There's nothing this thing won't do.It stays in tune,sustains better than my 50 year old LP Custom,and the fit and finish.is great.and it looks great.It was a one-off custom shop deal and cost more than $600 but if they are all made like this they're a hell of a deal.I really can't think of anything bad to say about it.And can somebody tell me how to post a question about a guitar like this guy did?panhead201
Last edited by panhead201 at Mar 12, 2012,
There's a button above the threads called "New Thread". Just click it and you can make one of these :P
Bass:

Acoustic Guitar:
Squier SA-100
I am going to go ahead and be an incredible troll. Tell him to get Nergal's Ltd
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

If you think single coils can't do metal,check out the heavy metal clip of the sinner single coil set. The sinners are made by bare knuckle pickups.
]