Hi,

I'm just wondering if it's worth the effort of trademarking the name of our coverband. I've searched Google and a ton of other places and it appears we have stubbled on a name no one has used.

I know if we are going to write our own music it's a must but I wonder if it's worth the $$$ for a cover band.

I'd love to hear from both, cover bands who decided to trademark and those who decided not to and the reasoning behind it.

We are not thinking we'll get rich as a cover band but we are going to run it like a business with Merch available at the shows etc.

Without an attoreny we could be looking at $1100 in filing fees although the lowest, just to trademark the name is $275.

I guess it would suck to start playing 50-100 gigs a year and then have some scum decide they like our name and file a trademark claim when they figure out ours isn't protected. My thinking was since we are playing other peoples music is a trademark really protecting anything?

I really appreciate anyones feedback.
Last edited by atcair at Mar 10, 2012,
if you're willing to spend the money then yes, if you have more important things to spend money on then no.
Quote by atcair

I really appreciate anyones feedback.

Play some shows first.

And write some damned songs.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by BK202
SHOULD WE TRADEMARK OUR COVERBAND

FUCK NO

Goddamn whatever happened to musical integrity.

That is why I'm asking. Several people in the business have told me there is no integrity in the music industry and you always have to protect yourself or some leech will rob you blind
BTW, I know it's not the most important thing right away I am just wondering about the pros and cons. I know the con is the $$$$ but has anyone ever run into a problem not haveing the trademark?
I know it's not the most important thing right away I am just wondering about the pros and cons.
I don't think it's worth it. I've never really heard of name stealing being a thing. I mean, sure, I guess it's possible, but I'd say it's pretty unlikely.

if you're that worried about it, then by all means go for it. seems way expensive though.
Quote by atcair
That is why I'm asking. Several people in the business have told me there is no integrity in the music industry and you always have to protect yourself or some leech will rob you blind

You're name isn't part of that.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
If the name being stolen is what you're most worried about, you'll never make good music.(Invalid img)
It depends on a few things.

First, what kind of "cover band" are you? Are you the type of band who plans on playing at festivals, fairs, and so on? Essentially a cover band that travels around, playing hundreds of shows a year and makes a living from it? Or, just your run-of-the-mill cover band that plays in local bars?

I ask that because I know guys in cover and/or tribute bands who make a nice chunk of change traveling all around the country playing constantly. They're in pretty high demand during the fair/festival months (late spring thru mid-fall). If you're looking at going that route, then sure, it might be worth looking into copyrighting your band name.

Another thing, how long has the band been around? If you're just starting out, have little-to no connections or booking, and you're not sure how "serious" you want to take the band, then it's not going to be worth your time to pay all the fees associated with getting a copyright for your name.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.