Page 1 of 2
This is one of those things where it's crucial to read the ENTIRE ARTICLE before posting. No, this has nothing to do with cryogenics.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/parents-who-froze-girl-in-time-defend-their-actions-430852.html

I'm interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on this. I'm not 100% certain how I feel about it.

Quote by Julz127
TL;DR

Basically child has a brain developmental problem, and will always have the mind of a baby.
Parents used hormone treatments + surgery to stop the child growing.
Last edited by Shotgunmerc at Mar 10, 2012,
This is nothing less than child murder.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I wish I could read the entire article.. but then I would have to read the entire article.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by ErikLensherr

I don't know if you know what child murder is.
TL;DR

Basically child has a brain developmental problem, and will always have the mind of a baby.
Parents used hormone treatments + surgery to stop the child growing.
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
it's horribly sad, and there's no totally right answer

"But scores of supportive comments on the parents' website revealed how their decision had touched a nerve. "I worked with the severely disabled for 30 years and know the problem of a 190lb, 6ft tall man with the mind of an eight-month-old," reads one. "To bath, change and just move him was a nightmare."

Years down the road, this will be an important factor. She would be a full-grown adult when her parents were old, and this could make things difficult or dangerous. It's a terrible situation either way.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Popsicles are nice

Yeah, they didn't kill or actually freeze the kid. Read the article.

I'm sort of torn. It seems really unconventional and almost unethical until you take into account that the actions will significantly increase the quality of life for both the parents and the child in the long run.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Mar 10, 2012,
Quote by devourke
I don't know if you know what child murder is.

I assure you, I'm quite an expert.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I think it's unethical to freeze anyone in time without your wizard license, though if the daughter was under 18 I can see the parents' reasoning.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I don't see what the big deal is. If anything the parents are giving their child more opportunities by preventing her from being burdened by a superfluous body.
Quote by article
static encephalopathy

this is all I needed to hear. This is bad and totes unethical.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Quote by jthm_guitarist
I think it's unethical to freeze anyone in time without your wizard license.

Motherfcking sigged

I laughed so hard when I read your post I spit milk onto my monitor.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I think that given the situation I support the decision. They can more easily take care of her, which means that the girl gets the best quality care that she can, and the parents can give this care for longer as they get older, not to mention it's just easier on everyone. One of the responses was that it was a 'violation of her human rights', and I don't agree with that. The girl will forever have the mind of a baby, allowing her to reach the size of a full grown adult--and thus making it more difficult to give her proper care--seems like more of a violation to me.
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Quote by ErikLensherr
I assure you, I'm quite an expert.

I guess that must be why you think child murder would be ethically comparable to this.
I donno about this one...
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Quote by devourke
I guess that must be why you think child murder would be ethically comparable to this.

Of course not, that's ridiculous.

I said they were one and the same thing.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Did anyone else read the thread title and think it was about parents tricking their child into thinking it was the 1950s or something?
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
Did anyone else read the thread title and think it was about parents tricking their child into thinking it was the 1950s or something?

I'm not quite sure what they accomplished by doing that. The article didn't give a lot of detail about what exactly the daughter's condition was, or how that helped it.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
I think that it's kind of crazy, But am i the only one who though HOW AWESOME WOULD THIS BE TO HAVE A PUPPY STAY A LITTLE PUPPY FOREVER!?!?!?!?!****ING AMAZING!
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
I'm pretty much fine with this. Can someone explain why it's so unethical?
Quote by Polar13

Because short people are an abomination
Quote by Polar13

I suppose it's kind of selfish of the parents really. Not giving the girl the life she was meant to live so that they can have it a bit easier.

But, At the same time... She wouldn't know how to use an adult body so I am allright with it as well.
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by OfCourseNot
I'm not quite sure what they accomplished by doing that. The article didn't give a lot of detail about what exactly the daughter's condition was, or how that helped it.

This. In my opinion what bugs me the most about this is about how poor this article was written. More then half of the article is spent discussing other professionials opinions' on the subject but little on the subject itself.

When it does discuss the actual case it doesn't really have an in-depth description of the factors (which seem to be the most important part) of why the family did what they did. It may just be because the author is not an expert on this things, which I obviously wouldn't expect, but they didn't do too much research on the actual circumstances
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
At first, I thought it said she had the mind of a 9 year old. And I was like, well, that's not so bad. There are a lot of reasons I would love to have the mind of a 9 year old. That was the happiest period of my life.

But the mind of an 8 month old? Ehh, that's pushing it.
all it did was prevent her from growing from 4'5'' to 5'6''. thats not a very dramatic improvement. i dont find it necessary. maybe if they did this procedure when the kid was a baby, so she would stay a baby with a baby brain, but at this stage? isnt it kinda late? for their convenience of taking her on trips?
**** i would hate to have a mentally ill child. i dont think i could live with it. i would definitely abort it if i could find out that early.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
all it did was prevent her from growing from 4'5'' to 5'6''. thats not a very dramatic improvement. i dont find it necessary. maybe if they did this procedure when the kid was a baby, so she would stay a baby with a baby brain, but at this stage? isnt it kinda late? for their convenience of taking her on trips?
**** i would hate to have a mentally ill child. i dont think i could live with it. i would definitely abort it if i could find out that early.

It's not about having the mind have a suitable body. It's about the girl having a body which can easily be taken care of.
Quote by devourke
It's not about having the mind have a suitable body. It's about the girl having a body which can easily be taken care of.

but its not about the parents. what are they gonna do after 10 uyears? be miserably depressed? see no improvement in their child?
Quote by Godsmack_IV
^^abortions should be legal up to the 72nd trimester

why? what would make it illegal?
It's difficult for us to say what we would do, since we don't know the burden of that kind of situation. I feel bad for the parents; I can't imagine what they've been through.

It makes you think though. In the past, people like the child would have died soon after birth. The only reason she's alive is because of the feeding tube. Before that, she would have starved to death. Yes, lifespans are longer today because of medicine, but there are more unhealthy people that are alive that 100 years ago wouldn't be. Not quite related to the point of the article, just a thought.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
but its not about the parents. what are they gonna do after 10 uyears? be miserably depressed? see no improvement in their child?

Quote by article
The diagnosis means that her brain has been damaged and the addition of the term "static" means that her condition will not improve. She will remain for the rest of her life with the mind of a baby.

Improvement is not coming, regardless of if her body grows or not. This treatment is trying ot ensure that the a high level of care can be given to her for the entirety of her life
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
why? what would make it illegal?

I don't know what the abortion laws are like in strawberry fields but around here its generally frowned upon after the 2nd trimester, not illegal, but definitely not kosher.
it comes down to its their child and they love it no matter what, so if it brings them joy being able to care for it, then more power to them.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct

After that Reddit AMA by the 1920s couple, I really, /really/ hoped it was this.
Quote by strat0blaster
Motherfcking sigged

I laughed so hard when I read your post I spit milk onto my monitor.

Bro it's not even funny. Chill.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Page 1 of 2