For those of you who are (or have been) in gigging bands, I'm curious how long after taking up the drums did it take before you were good enough to play out?
there is almost no correlation between those two things. drumming means you have to be decent at holding a beat.(nowadays its not really that hard cause half the bands play to a click track)
gigging in a band means finding 2-5 other people who can play and write on your level, and collaborating with them.

ex. i played drums 5 years and never did a live gig, switched to guitar/bass/vocals and was terrible, played within my first year.
In all honesty, really it depends on how decent you want the gig to be. You and a couple of mates could probably go down the local boozer next weekend if you wanted to and play a show, doesn't mean it would be any good
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
My college always held events for us to perform for our course, aside from that it took me about 4 years since I started playing to perform a gig, haha.
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
I started playing drums at Christmas 2010 (just over a year ago), and joined the band I'm in now (also my first) about 2 months later. Not because I was fantastic, just because I was (and pretty much still am) the only drummer in my school year, despite there being a sh*t-ton of guitarists and a couple o' bass players.

First paying gig (£10 between 4 of us haha) was only last month (12th Feb), since we only wanted to start gigging when we got near a solid lineup and felt comfortable playing our own stuff.

Sorry for the biography, just thought it might be useful to have an example showing no real correlation between how long you've been playing and gigging, since there's that much chance involved with a group.
Quote by Skinny91
My college always held events for us to perform for our course, aside from that it took me about 4 years since I started playing to perform a gig, haha.
Quote by Lordyboy
I started playing drums at Christmas 2010 (just over a year ago), and joined the band I'm in now (also my first) about 2 months later. Not because I was fantastic, just because I was (and pretty much still am) the only drummer in my school year, despite there being a sh*t-ton of guitarists and a couple o' bass players.
Thanks for answering the question.
Last edited by strumandbang at Mar 11, 2012,
Started playing drums about 6 years ago properly, started gigging after 5 months, I was 15 at the time and we called ourselves Shag Shotgun (Yeah, we were huge sex pistols fans >_<. Had to change the band name eventually but we did covers really, like Smells Like Teen Spirit, You Really Got Me and American Idiot.

First proper paying gig was 2 years after that, but it was the first of 4 gigs which I did where bands had to buy tickets and then sell them to make some money (The pay-to-play scheme shitty promoters use). After that I started doing work as a drummer, mainly live stuff, and gigging with a blues covers band that played weddings and functions.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Played first gig at 15/16 or so must have been playing less than a year.

First paid was when i was 18 so then about 3 years. On saying that i haven't gigged that much and i am in "semi-drum retirement" lol.
Drummer of 7 years, Bassist of 5 years, Guitarist of 4 years.
Ive been playing 11 years ive been playing since 2nd grade but ive been to a few gig's it depends on your where you live and what style of drumming you are and what kind of band your playing, like ive been playing rock/ alt, and metal but ive ben to quite a few shows and they were pretty decent but it depends on the area your in