Hey, I searched and couldn't find a thread specific about this so I thought it would be safe to ask
I got some DiMarzios for Black Friday (I've been struggling with this problem for quite a while now) and have been putting them in my Iceman. I've done a couple projects working with guitar hardware and such but the solder/sodder part I left to a friend, seeing as this is a useful skill to learn I'm trying it out

I bought an iron, 30W, and when I try to tin the tip the solder balls in on itself, so instead of going onto the iron tip it goes back down the wire. So I bought another iron... Same thing.

TL;DR
Trying to solder/sodder pickups, but can't even tin the iron tip because the solder forms a ball and goes down the wire instead of go on the tip... Any help?
Quote by So-Cal
Incest is wincest!

Quote by Neo Evil11
Because he's the hero The Pit deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Anus.
^ By wire I meant the solder, not the wire I'm soldering sorry... I'm just trying to tin and get solder on the iron tip
Quote by So-Cal
Incest is wincest!

Quote by Neo Evil11
Because he's the hero The Pit deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Anus.
sounds like your soldering iron tip or the solder itself may be dirty if you have some steel wool use it to clean your solder irons tip see if that helps.
A little 2000 grit sandpaper, or a small fine file to rough up the first 1/4 inch of the soldering iron tip will help.
Also make sure you are using the correct solder ( i.e. 60/40 rosin core solder ).
A couple of good tutorials on yout#be could be enlightening.

Peace.
RavenWest 1000Q/Schecter neck
ibanez RG3EXFM1 /Dimarzio Evolution
Martin Stinger ST-4 /Kona Strat neck
Martin Stinger ST-2
Squire DG-9 acoustic
Jay Turser JT Slimmer
Bugera 333
2x12 homemade cab
Marshall AVT150H head
B-52 4x12 cab