I've decided to build a more useful home studio with what I have for demos or my band. I currently have a Roland VS-880 digital recording thingy that I've had for quite some time, a laptop and a lightsnake guitar cable to usb plug. I have mics I can use for drums and vocals and some headphones for monitoring.
What sort of cables will I need to plug my roland unit into my laptop?
What are some reletivly cheap and easy to use recording programs? I'm not on a mac comp, so I can't use garage band.....or can I???
I don't need the recordings to sound hyper polished and beautiful, but I do want them to sound good enough to where I won't be too embarassed to post them to facebook or youtube.
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Last edited by sonny bb at Mar 11, 2012,
The VS-880 isn't designed to act as an interface to your PC, it's a standalone unit.

If you want to switch to PC based recording, you'll need to get a proper interface (something like the Focusrite Saffire 6 which is often the recommended option here). For software, check out Reaper.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Really? Well how do I use the VS-880 to It's full potential? Like for CD burning and what not, cause If I could just use that, I'd be set for what I need it to do.
:
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
That's a pretty old unit, I doubt you can get a CD writer for it - it was designed to use a Jaz drive, and they were outdated years ago. The only other way to transfer data from it is via the SCSI port - does your PC support this?

As they are both fairly old technologies, you could be best off getting yourself an updated multitracker. More modern equipment have built in CD writers, and often also include USB ports for data transfer.

Even with just a couple of hundred dollars you should be able to find something used on eBay which will give you these options - and as you're happy with the recordings you're getting from your VS-880, you'll be absolutely delighted with the increased capability you'd get from a more recent (and therefore more advanced) multitracker.

Fostex, Tascam and Zoom are the main brands to search for. Although Roland/Boss obviously still make multitrackers, they tend to be more expensive than the others.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I think my computer, which is also quite old, does have an scsi port, but I found an scsi to usb 2.0 cable. Will that work? Cause the data transfer would be very useful.
:
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Don't know about that part - I've never used an SCSI connection, I always ensured I had a CD writer in my multitrackers.

Common sense says that if you have the cable to connect from your VS-880's SCSI output to your PC via a USB port then data transfer should be possible, but you'd need to read the manual to find out how.

At that point it just depends exactly what that unit means by data transfer - making an educated guess from my experience with multitrackers over the years there are two main possibilities:
1 - Hopefully it can export either an mp3 or wav file of the finished recording, then you'd be able to just use your PC's CD writer to burn it direct to disc in a usable format.
2 - It may only be designed to provide data transfer as a backup facility. If this is the case, then it is likely that the data will be in a bespoke format that is only usable by the VS-880.

With the first option, a quick read of your manual should be enough to get you moving.

If it's the second of the two options, you may have no alternative but to upgrade your multitracker.

Multitrackers are a great way for people to record at home, however yours was designed at a time when all the different companies were still experimenting with different ways to store and transfer data, unfortunately the technologies used on your particular unit weren't the methods that stuck around.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Mar 11, 2012,
I believe it works in the first way, but I'm not entirely sure, but I do think so. Thanks!
:
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>