Hi guys

I've bought all the components for my PC build and i've across on teh net the issue of ESD?

can someone explain this concept? how to avoid it and what happens if i the components get affected by esd?

cheers
Gear

ESP LTD EC-401
Jackson DK2M
Line 6 POD HD300
well... did you try Google?

This forum is sort of for Guitar Gear & Accessories...

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Well I posted the whole build thread in the same forum, so if it needs to moved than so be it lol
Gear

ESP LTD EC-401
Jackson DK2M
Line 6 POD HD300
To prevent static discharge through your components, you must either be discharged, or your PC grounded. You can either wear an anti-static wristband, or leave the powercable plugged in (but not switched on)

Having said that, as long as you aren't working on a carpet or something you should be fine

What's spec is your build?
Basically - your body can act like a capacitor and store a reasonable charge. When you touch exposed, unprotected electronics, electricity picked up from say carpets suddenly has somewhere to go and rushes in, sometimes tens of thousands of volts. (thankfully pretty much no amps) You can mitigate ESD by grounding yourself before handling components, holding them by the edges where there are no contacts and using an ESD wriststrap. You can ground yourself usually just by touching exposed metal on radiators or (so long as the plug has a ground pin, may vary by country!) leaving the power cable into the back of the PSU and shutting off the switch; this isolates the AC voltage but keeps the case grounded and keeping one hand on the case while you install components isn't very difficult.
Quote by DavidMW
To prevent static discharge through your components, you must either be discharged, or your PC grounded. You can either wear an anti-static wristband, or leave the powercable plugged in (but not switched on)
I'd suggest doing both. Since computer PSUs are all three wire grounded affairs, you leave the rear switch on the PSU OFF, and the power cable plugged into a known grounded outlet. And wear the anti-static wristband. And touch open metal on the case before you put your hands inside.

This is the worst weather for a computer build. Humidity is low due to the central heating being on, and the air is rife with static potential when these conditions exist.

A work around is to cover any carpet with a huge piece of cardboard box. Come to think of it, one of those shipping cartons a new guitar comes is just about the right size and don't move off it. (The outer big ass double box).

Having said that, if you're not in a desperate hurry to start this project, the "rainy season" is only about a month away, which will further diminish the potential for static damage.

One last thing, keep the cat or dog far away from this project while you're working on it. Those little suckers build up enough up enough static to blow out all billion or so transistors in the rig, and they're all to eager to "help" by sticking their noses into the case while you're working

As a beginner, you should follow these suggestions to the letter, if only to aid in quelling your anxiety

Quote by DavidMW
Having said that, as long as you aren't working on a carpet or something you should be fine
Good point, and I tried to augment it a bit.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 11, 2012,
Thank's for the helpful responses

im building the computer in area where there is no carpet, and I think i have a anti static wristband (well my dad does) and i don't have any pets so its all good.

the Spec is:

i5 2500k
Sapphire Radeon 6850
Ripjaws 8gb
Corsair 600W PSU
Gigabyte z68 mobo (forgotten the actual model)
Cooler Master Silencio 550
500gb HDD + optical drive

cost me 540 all together, and ive a dell HD monitor lying around
Gear

ESP LTD EC-401
Jackson DK2M
Line 6 POD HD300