how do you play that bend on the 4th fret G string which goes up a whole 1 and half steps? as in how high do you have to try and push it up? every time I try and do it, it sounds nothing like it does when Kirk plays it

it seems impossible bending it ridiculously high since the fret is so close to the nut

help plz
Quote by Diamond Dave
light strings or strong fingers, or both

Light strings? I'd get thicker strings, I'd be scared to death with .9s to do that bend, that string would snap in two. Sound better, toughens up your fingers. A bit more difficult at first, sure, but it's totally worth it imo.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Quote by LordPino
Light strings? I'd get thicker strings, I'd be scared to death with .9s to do that bend, that string would snap in two. Sound better, toughens up your fingers. A bit more difficult at first, sure, but it's totally worth it imo.

Honestly I've never sided with the commonly found "thicker strings sound better and make you a REAL MAN" mentality on UG. I prefer the sound of 9's. They seem crisper/brighter and more lively.

TS, practice bending with the third (ring) finger and using the index and middle finger to support behind it. Use wrist rotation to bend and over time you will get better at it.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Mar 11, 2012,
What about playing those notes on the D-string? Gives you more space to bend, because it would be in the middle of the neck.
first of all, bend is not on the 2nd , it's on the 4th fret of g string, but I play it on the 9th fret of the D string, because it's easier. I know cause I know the whole solo
Quote by fixationdarknes
Honestly I've never sided with the commonly found "thicker strings sound better and make you a REAL MAN" mentality on UG. I prefer the sound of 9's. They seem crisper/brighter and more lively.

Whilst i wouldn't be that elitist about it, i would say in almost all steel stringed acoustic guitar situations that thicker gauge strings sound better. Gives a fatter sound and just generally better acoustic sound in my opinion, not to mention it makes switching from an acoustic to an electric easy as shit, and chords and generally everything will be 100 times easier.

With an electric guitar i use 9-46s i think it is. Doesn't get much lighter than that, but for me being a lead player it's great. When it comes to much lower drop tunings such as drop B and lower though then you NEED some thicker strings otherwise it just wont work at all, not to mention heavy distortion i believe sounds better on thicker strings (but heavy distortion and drop tunings generally go hand in hand).

Anyways, that's my 2 cents.
Last edited by vayne92 at Mar 11, 2012,
Quote by LordPino
Light strings? I'd get thicker strings, I'd be scared to death with .9s to do that bend, that string would snap in two.

Haha, don´t be scared my dear. You can do 5 half steps without risking a snap with .9s no problem.