Yo, I've spent many, many hours researching amp heads, and I simply cannot choose between them. I have a 2x12 cab with eminence speakers.

I primarily want a kinda The Darkness/Airbourne tone. Like the tone here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFtywrOTnHw
I know Justin uses a Mesa/Boogie Rectifier, but I ain't got the cash for that.

Heres a list of the amps I've been looking at:
Peavey Windsor
Peavey ValveKing
Marshall DSL50
Marshall Mode Four
Laney GH50L
Jet City JCA100h
Jet City JCA50h
Blackstar HT-50
Hayden MoFo 30
Bugera 333XL
Bugera 1990
Bugera 1960
I need enough volume for gigging un-mic'd.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Last edited by Any7423 at Mar 11, 2012,
Quote by TheDuckMajor
Budget?

£500, I can find all the afore mentioned amps within that budget.
Petra - Beyond Belief.
So the jet city JCA100H would be a good bet.
You should try out all of the amp though.
In the back of my mind there's an amp that I know I should recommend to you but I'm having a bit of a blackout.
I'll post as soon as I remember.
Peavey 6505
Blackstar HT-50

Now, with the usual comments over and done with, let's get you some real advice.

Are cleans something you need?

The Laney will get you a great sound. It sounds quite like a hot rodded Marshall.

Both the Windsor and the valveking would get you in the ballpark, though the Valveking need some mods. They don't sound quite as alive as the Laney, but with a bit of tinkering and an overdrive pedal, they will sound good.

Have not tried the Jet Citys.

Bugeras tend to be flammable.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
No, I care not about cleans.
Petra - Beyond Belief.
The Laney will get you a great sound. It sounds quite like a hot rodded Marshall.
on second thoughts, that Laney GH50 looks like it'd suit you really well. I didn't have a chance to listen to the song so i generalized the mesa sound but now i do have the chance, they sound more like they're using a cranked JCM800, the laney would be great for that. I'd also recommend the Laney Ironheart. Very high gain but sparkly cleans too.
Yeah, the Laney does look to be the best option
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Quote by TheDuckMajor
they sound more like they're using a cranked JCM800

I know, but you can see that Justin is using a rectifier, and Dan is using a Plexi.
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Laney GH50 and a TS-9 or some type of clone.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Any7423

I know Justin uses a Mesa/Boogie Rectifier, but I ain't got the cash for that.

But he is not using it in the modern mode, he is in the vintage mode on it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
There is definitely a mesa boogie on stage, but it doesn't really sound like one. Actually, when I think of Darkness, my first association is that beautiful guitar tone coming from an old plexi. I don't know what they are using, but to me that is a classic Marshall tone.

Laney GH50L or even better an used JCM800 or JMP 2203 would get you there for sure. A plexi would be out of your budget.
Most likely gonna go for the Laney, however, are the Marshall MA series really as bad as people make out?
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Laney GH50 and a TS-9 or some type of clone.

+1

actually i prefer a more transparent od (i use the dano timmy clone) and then i use a TS clone when i want more mids (solos, say).

i'm guessing the jet city would be worth a look, too, though i haven't tried it. Out of the ones listed i think it's probably a two-way race between the laney and jet city.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Any7423
Most likely gonna go for the Laney, however, are the Marshall MA series really as bad as people make out?

They aren't very good if that is your question. They have a so-so clean ch, and a wreched crunch ch.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate