Hey all, thought I'd make this thread, partially cos I have a question, partially for a bit of discussion.

My band's recently found a new singer and started writing some tunes, so we're gearing up to get gigging in a couple of months (in that time we're going to record a demo, practice and get everything like social networking and minor promotion sorted).

Anyway, having a jam with a couple of members yesterday, we decided we'll have a bit of a photoshoot in a couple of weeks.

Here's where my question comes in. This new singer is a somewhat established acoustic singer songwriter type (and a model...lucky so-and-so ¬_¬ =P), so he's done the photoshoot thing a lot. His suggestions are looking at graffiti'd brick walls, rustic abandoned buildings...it's not a stretch to say, all the clichés. =P

My thoughts are kinda conflicting on this, the idea of being so clichéd and just taking a few pictures of all in front of a brick wall while we all look super-srs or whatever is one that makes me recoil a bit cos it's so overdone.

But on the other side, clichés work. A picture like that would have all the average non-musicians going "That looks so cool, the brick wall behind is really badass".

So, I guess I'm looking for opinions on this.
What does everyone think about the overdone abandoned building/brick wall photoshoot?
What are some other ideas that are a bit less lame (and equally free! ^.^ =P)?

Just any insight into interesting photoshoots would be great! =D

Thanks.
Quote by postmortem2006
Just get two photos shoots. That's what I always do if there're seperate ideas for a 'theme' - and everyone's happy that way. Problem solved, chief.

Yep, this is a good idea.

But i'm also not a big fan of those clichés... They can often send the wrong idea.
Just last week my band took a few shots to use for promotion for an upcoming gig, and we decided to keep it simple. We just stood on the balcony of our rehearsals studio, and had a fun moment. It's nothing fancy, but it's honest.

Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Find a really interesting place for the photoshoot. Scout some locations around the neighborhood for a cool place. Keep in mind the image you want your band to project- if you guys want to project a classy and well kept look, dress up nicely and go to a diner and have pictures of everyone sitting at a table.

I like that balcony idea- if the background has a nice view that's even better, so the top of a hill overlooking the city is great
postmortem2006, there isn't any debate in my situation, it was just a light conversation, we haven't got to properly discussing it yet, we'll come up with a decision that everyone's happy with. I'm just looking for a bit of discussion on the issue, and maybe suggestions for non-cliché locations! =)

Linkerman, I'm liking those pictures! The 'honest' vibe really shows. Casual poses, casual locations, looks real cool.

You Ruined It, I think an interesting place is key.
Even though this singer's suggesting clichés, he says he knows a few real nice locations, so at least they won't be poor quality clichés if we go with them! ^.^
By the time it comes to doing these photos I'm sure we'll take a scout and ask about for real cool locations.
I really like the balcony idea the more I think, but there are no places close by with a good view round here. =(
It'd be nice to all get dressed up and regally stand in a real posh building for the photos! But that vibe doesn't really suit the band! =P

Thanks for all your insight into this.
Quote by Linkerman
Yep, this is a good idea.

But i'm also not a big fan of those clichés... They can often send the wrong idea.
Just last week my band took a few shots to use for promotion for an upcoming gig, and we decided to keep it simple. We just stood on the balcony of our rehearsals studio, and had a fun moment. It's nothing fancy, but it's honest.

I like the idea of these pictures, but the execution needs to be worked on.

The lighting in the background is super harsh, which makes the photo somewhat hard to look at, because the whites are so blown out, there's barely any contrast. You would have been better off shooting earlier in the morning/later in the day, when there's less light out, and you'd have been able to to get more definition in the background, with a large dynamic range of color.

This is the reason people usually use a an opaque backdrop in portraits like this, with minimal reflective surfaces surrounding the subjects, because it's so hard to control natural lighting in a background. Unless you're working with a skilled photographer, who knows what he/she is doing, the lighting is going to come out poor.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I like the idea of these pictures, but the execution needs to be worked on.

The lighting in the background is super harsh, which makes the photo somewhat hard to look at, because the whites are so blown out, there's barely any contrast. You would have been better off shooting earlier in the morning/later in the day, when there's less light out, and you'd have been able to to get more definition in the background, with a large dynamic range of color.

This is the reason people usually use a an opaque backdrop in portraits like this, with minimal reflective surfaces surrounding the subjects, because it's so hard to control natural lighting in a background. Unless you're working with a skilled photographer, who knows what he/she is doing, the lighting is going to come out poor.

Yep, you're right, i know what you mean... But the weather is partially to blame, that thick fog kinda screwed us up.

Also, our bands' usual photographer is out of the country at the moment, so these were taken by a friend of ours with our lead guitarist sister's crappy camera. "Amateur hour" ftw

But i'm not worried, because they'll probably only be used on the event's Facebook page (maybe also in a couple of flyers posted in the bar we're going to play in).
Our target for this event is the people who already know us well, since it's a local bar and there's little-to-zero chance of reaching a wider audience in this particular gig.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Punk_Ninja
postmortem2006, there isn't any debate in my situation, it was just a light conversation, we haven't got to properly discussing it yet, we'll come up with a decision that everyone's happy with. I'm just looking for a bit of discussion on the issue, and maybe suggestions for non-cliché locations! =)

Granted, but my point still stands.