Hey everyone, I have a Vintage V100 LP copy guitar with some decent sounding humbuckers but I was thinking of changing the pickups. I play mostly rock but would also like to get a good 80s metal tone (Motley Crue, GnR, Metallica). I play through a Marshall JMP1 and a Randall rx120d
Dimarzio Super Distortion or Seymour Duncan SH-4. If your in the UK (which I'm guessing you are) Bare Knuckle Puckups are a good choice.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Dimarzio Super Distortion or Seymour Duncan SH-4. If your in the UK (which I'm guessing you are) Bare Knuckle Puckups are a good choice.

No Canada.
Personally I'd god with the Super Distortions, both the SH and super distortion are great rock and old school metal pups.

Bare-knuckles are pretty pricey but they do indeed sound great
Since you're in america, look at creamery pickups. They're basically the american version of Barew Knuckle Pickups. They have fewer products in there range but they, unlike BKP, are very flexible and allow you to change any aspect in a pickup and even create custom ones.
so you could tell them to overwind and pickup and replace an alnico II with an alnico 5 or anything else that you want.
BUT, WHEN buying from abroad, bkp take of any VAT and only charge for the pickup without added tax and the shipping (which is only about $15). you will have to pay customs when they arrive.
Quote by TheDuckMajor
BUT, WHEN buying from abroad, bkp take of any VAT and only charge for the pickup without added tax and the shipping (which is only about $15). you will have to pay customs when they arrive.

I had no duties on my bkps
Canada too
Quote by TheDuckMajor
Since you're in america, look at creamery pickups. They're basically the american version of Barew Knuckle Pickups. They have fewer products in there range but they, unlike BKP, are very flexible and allow you to change any aspect in a pickup and even create custom ones.
so you could tell them to overwind and pickup and replace an alnico II with an alnico 5 or anything else that you want.

Bare Knuckle will do all that too.

If you want a good pickup for that tone that doesn't cost the earth, get the Super Distortion. If you want the best pickup you can get for that tone, get a Bare Knuckle 'Holydiver'.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
Bare Knuckle will do all that too.

If you want a good pickup for that tone that doesn't cost the earth, get the Super Distortion. If you want the best pickup you can get for that tone, get a Bare Knuckle 'Holydiver'.

not any more. they've become very big and they are too busy to do one-offs/customs any more.
there was actually a thread about it on there forum yesterday.

But, the holy diver is awesome.
Id personally recommend the rebel yell as an alternative though, it has VERY tight chords when disstorted, great bass response and really good cleans.
Last edited by TheDuckMajor at Mar 11, 2012,
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
I had no duties on my bkps
Canada too

REALLY???!!!!!
I guess i'll be ordering a new set then. I've moved abroad since my first order of BKPs.
Thanks everyone I'll look into BKPs. Seymour Duncans sounded good in some of the youtube videos I saw.
DiMarzio Super Distortion or Seymour Duncan Custom in the bridge, SD Pearly Gates in the neck. That's pretty much the standard, common combination for rock and heavier 80s tones in a Les Paul.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.