I've posted a couple times on this board and you all have been fantastic. Thanks.

I have a very cheap stat copy (3/4 size) that is essentially a very beginner guitar and recently picked up a Epiphone G400 '66 reissue. The ability to play the G400 is amazing.

I have picked up a thirst for learning some blues and what little I know, I am having a blast. It "feels" right, if you know what I mean. However, long term, my goal is to learn a variety of styles, but blues is very fun now. I can do 12 bar blues decent, am learning the minor pentatonic scale and am learning blues based chords. It's a blast.

However, I recently compared my cheap strat copy to my G400 and blues sounds way better on the cheap guitar. Now I thought the G310 and G400 are good for metal or heavy music, but I thought it would be versatile enough for almost anything. But I am not getting the distinction of notes on the G400 like I am on the strat copy.

So the question is.......

What is a good blues guitar? I am not necessarily looking to buy this instance, but would like to begin searching. I would imagine my budget being $500 or less (hopefully). My amp is a Mustang 1 and dialed in a nice Blues sound after some research and playing around.

I play exactly the same on both guitars and I can't pinpoint an issue with the G400 not being good at blues. Maybe it is somehow an issue with my playing but thankfully can compare it against another guitar and get a more bluesey sound with the strat copy.

By the way, I hate the strat copy cheap guitar because it is a bitch to play. So thanks, I've already considered "just use that one" already. lol.

Generically speaking, are hollowbody or semi-hollowbodies good?
it's the pickups, most blues blues like Hendrix, SRV, and Clapton (later years) use strats with single coils. The G400 isnt a very good guitar, it's below the standard and i don't believe either to be equipped with very versatile pickups
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Strat, Tele, ES, Les Paul
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Kinda depends what blues you like.
Generally a strat should do it, but there are plenty of freaky guitars out there just crying to play the blues, just look at jack whites guitar. But if you prefer the classics, you probs want a strat or similar...
There too school of blues players, One's who go for standard two humbucker guitars and one's who prefer fenders particularly the strat. Depending on who you listen to you may prefer the strat sound as you prefer players who go with that sound.

I would say in general semi hollows for blues are fantastic but you may run into the same problem as you epiphone as you may simply not like the sound of humbuckers for blues. You get slightly less for your money buying semi hollow guitars in my opinion.
SMILE!
i would suggest you check out guitarfetish.com their Xaviere guitars are very cheap but are pretty damn cool... i would suggest you look at the xv-950 model,the xv-910 model or maybe one of the tele's...
or if you want to spend some less cash check out their pick ups
So basically a Strat or Les Paul (or quality issue copies?)

Looks like I need to trade in and trade up lol.
Quote by Killsocket
So basically a Strat or Les Paul (or quality issue copies?)

Looks like I need to trade in and trade up lol.

most likely, what amp are you using though?
SMILE!
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
most likely, what amp are you using though?

Mustang 1 but found a good setting.
The G400 can do blues just fine, but since you like the sound of your strat better, a strat is what I would recommend. Others have suggested a Les Paul, but they won't sound that much different than your G400. Both use humbucker pickups

There are quite a few good choices in your price range, especially if you would consider used. A MIM (made in Mexico) Fender standard strat or a Squier Classic Vibe strat are both excellent choices. Your best bet is go and play a bunch. Get what feels and sounds best to you.
Quote by stormin1155
The G400 can do blues just fine, but since you like the sound of your strat better, a strat is what I would recommend. Others have suggested a Les Paul, but they won't sound that much different than your G400. Both use humbucker pickups

+1

a better strat or good quality copy (e.g. japanese-made tokai or something like that) would be the thing.

the other thing is the playability- if your strat copy is based on a vintage strat, that might also explain the playability problems you're having (assuming they're not just because it's a "bad" guitar). getting a strat with a more modern neck profile etc. would make it easier to play yet still sound like a strat.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?