I just bought a used B.C. Rich Bich Special Edt. and It came with the B.C. Rich pickups. I would like to swap them out with some Seymour Duncan Invaders, but I don't know if it's worth the time and money to do so. I play everything from Asking Alexandria styled music to all out shredding to Steve Vai's slowest. I was also wondering if there was a pickup out there that would be able to have that kind of range, if so, would the Invaders acomplish that? I know Synyster Gates uses them on his custom guitar and they sound great heavy and also when he uses them clean, but could that be effect pedals? I would greatly appreciate your input..
I'd pick based on what you like out of a pickup rather than who uses what - Asking alexandria's guitarists use Duncan blackouts (Cam), and i think ben uses a jb or a distortion. Vai has dimarzio evos and breeds, and of course Gates uses invaders. So there isn't a pickup that will do all those sounds. you need to pick based on what your guitar is built of, what you tune it to, which amp you are using, and what kind of EQ you like.
Well, for heaviness, i would like Asking A's pickups but for clean i want Vai's. Gates has a nice sound but after listening agiain, it's just not heavy enough. Can i put the blackout on the bridge and the emg on the neck?
Quote by Serephim
Well, for heaviness, i would like Asking A's pickups but for clean i want Vai's. Gates has a nice sound but after listening agiain, it's just not heavy enough. Can i put the blackout on the bridge and the emg on the neck?

Blackouts > Emgs.
You could do that but i dont think those two would sound good. It woukd be too much of a difference between the two. Ever look into Bare Knuckle pickups?
I think you need to consider going active carefully, blackouts and EMGs sound great distorted for certain types of tones, but both have cleans that don't match up to passive pickups, plus they require you to change the electronics (pots, output jack, and maybe capacitors). I have both blackouts and passive duncans in different guitars and the passives can give you that heavy tone you seek, but will clean up so much better than an active pickup. Try something like a duncan distortion/invader/patb2 in the bridge with a lower output neck bucker (jazz/59/pearly gates etc..) this will get you most of the tones you describe, and also remember a lot of the tone is in your amp, so you need to pick based on whether your guitar/amp are naturally brighter or darker toned, and whether you need a pickup with lots of clarity, or something more bass and low mid heavy.
Amp has more to do with it than pups.

If you're using a solid state amp like most of them, it'll mask the sound of the pups a lot.

Gates has been using a Marshall JVM410h a lot for the last several years. I don't recall which effects he's been using. IMHO the JVM doesn't do a stellar job with it's higher gain channels, but then again, I haven't taken the time to tweak a good tone on those channels. I typically get most of my tone through a workstation pedal and then either run it through the PA or the half-stack on the crunch channel, depending on the venue. It sounds a little better through the JVM, but not enough to justify hauling it unless we have to bring drums, too. The JVM doesn't give you instant awesome high gain like you get from a Mesa ___ Rec or Mark __ amp.

I've got Invaders in a mahagony Schecter and D-Activators in a mahagony Ibanez. Both do fine for heavy stuff for me, but I'm not playing the really heavy stuff live.
Quote by gman128
...Try something like a duncan distortion/invader/patb2 in the bridge with a lower output neck bucker (jazz/59/pearly gates etc..)...

My favorite guitar is a heavily modded Squier with Detonators (cheap Invader copy) in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck. The Jazz/Invader combo is surprisingly popular out there. I see it in a lot of YouTube videos, too.

BTW, you'll hear about Gates' modded Invaders. The only difference is the poles are shiny instead of blacked out. I don't think there's any difference in tone from regular Invaders. Also he has a couple of his Avengers loaded with a Sustainiac in the neck. Essentially that converts the electronics in the guitar to active regardless of whether the Sustainiac is activated. The neck pup isn't actually a pup at all, but rather a driver to make the strings vibrate. So when you switcth to the neck pup, really it's taking the bridge output and processing it to simulate a neck tone. It will also let you simulate single coil or bucker sounds, but that's pretty low fidelity (bucker is just higher db output). If you split the bridge at the same time, that will help with the fidelity of the single coil sim. But if you only have a single coil in the bridge, then it won't give you the humbucker advantages with the bucker sim. And you can't get it to cancel hum like you could with an SSS Strat in positions 2 & 4 (unless it's in a SSS guitar).
If this guy lives in the US he should just abuse duncan's return/swap policy and try out various pickup combos until he's satisfied
Well TS what's your amplfier?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
First thing is to take a look at your amp and what (if any) pedals you use. That's far more important than your pickups in terms of determining your tone, and especially the range of tones you can get.

But I will say this, the Invader is pretty much the least versatile pickup you can buy and having them in both the neck and bridge (especially the neck) is a bad move 99.9999% of the time.

As for the Blackouts/EMG thing, you can mix them but only in certain, limited ways. You can't mix the X-series EMGs with Blackouts (unless you take out the tone controls and modify the pickup buss, I believe), and mixing regular EMGs with Blackouts can be done but it requires some careful attention and I don't believe you can use all the usual options (such as the extra pins for different outputs on Blackouts). There's also just not much point. EMG X-series pickups have a wider response than Blackouts and regular EMGs have more compression than Blackouts, so if you want either vibe it's easier to just go with EMGs in both positions. Blackouts were great at first but now that EMG have made their X-series the Blackouts simply occupy a weird middle ground that's not of much use, in my opinion.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.