I'm in the market for a new amp with roughly $1500 max to spend. I'm working to form a reggae/rock band and am really interested in the Vox AC30.

I found a handwired edition online for a good price. I'll include the specs of that model to compare with the standard AC30. What I've deduced so far:

AC30 - ~$900.
-Celestion Greenback Speakers
-Tremolo and reverb controls, 3-band EQ

AC30HW2 - ~$1300 + shipping
-Choice of Celestion Greenbacks, WGS Black and Blues
-Simplified controls
-Matched Ruby Tubes

My question: Is the Handwired model really THAT much better than the standard AC30? I've heard that Alnico Blues are the only speaker to go with if you want the "classic" AC30 sound.
I'd just get the AC30 unless you really have the extra money to drop. There's not going to be a huge difference in handwired vs. not handwired, I'd say the handwired aspect is really for bragging rights/sentimental value/resale value more than anything else.
Quote by Amaseng
I'd just get the AC30 unless you really have the extra money to drop. There's not going to be a huge difference in handwired vs. not handwired, I'd say the handwired aspect is really for bragging rights/sentimental value/resale value more than anything else.
+1, it may be slightly better (if even notable) but almost certainly not $400+shipping better.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Do you want Circut boards or point to point wiring?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
the trem and the reverb on the ac30 are solid state.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam