I have a Blackstar Ht5 amp and its a really ****ing great amp, but I want more distortion out of it. Like heavy/thrash/Metallica/Slayer sort of sounding distortion. And I bought a Modtone Extreme Metal dist pedal the other day, its not really doing much. I've tried different settings but theres just something that its not doing for me.
I also tried a few other pedals but it was more overdrive and more classic rock sounding than what I'm looking for.
Then I stumbled upon another pedal which was a Digitech Death Metal Distortion Pedal and it seemed pretty good too. I just need a pedal that I can switch from the clean channel on my amp to wall shaking, ball breaking distortion tone.
So in short, just two questions:
Is there any way I can make the Extreme Metal sound more thrash?
If not, then would the Death Metal be a better choice?
If you have any other suggestions of what I should check out then leave it in a reply.
Have you tried an overdrive pedal ontop of your distortion?

I use a Badmonkey for stuff like that and it works fine for me
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Have you tried an overdrive pedal ontop of your distortion?

I use a Badmonkey for stuff like that and it works fine for me

Yeah, I used a tube screamer overdrive (I tried it through a Blackstar Ht5 they had at the store). But like on the distortion channel on the amp at the same time? Yes.
But I want to be able to have a clean tone on the amp, then a heavy dist when I step on the pedal.
^This. Try an overdrive in front of your gain channel. Put the drive on the pedal around 10 o clock, and crank the level. This will give you more gain, and it will be your amp's natural breakup instead of the harsh distortion you'll get from those death metal pedals