Hello guys,

I have a Blues Jr, with a Les Paul and a tubescreamer overdrive.
The other day I invited my friends over to play some songs (1 other guitarist and 1 drummer).

It was one of the rare times I crank my amp up.
So I tried playing alone first just to get the sound right, but then my tone just went to sh**.

The cleans were unbearable : muddy, bassy, unclear, low.. I don't know what word to use, but it was disgusting. And believe me I have tried all I can with the EQ !
I tried adding/reducing mids, bass and treble. But nothing seemed to do it.

I have a Gain knob and a Volume knob. I tried both : Gain up volume down, volume up gain down... No results.

I didn't seem to notice it very much when playing together, but on my own, it was simply unplayable.

Now my question is : Is it NORMAL to have a hideous tone at high volume when not jamming together ? Do my ears have to get used to it ?

I always have a great tone at bedroom level. And considering how much this amp cost me, and the reputation it has (good reviews all around), I am very surprised.
It wasn't beaking up. It was simply the tone. A HUGE amount of mids (from what I know about EQ) and bass. I tried scooping them but it didn't help much.
Yes I did. I mostly played on clean only to figure out the volume. I used the TS just for adding a tad of overdrive. The problem is with the clean !
So my problem would be the lack of clean headroom ?
Because, I am not suppose to have a terrible tone at high volume, right?

As I said it didn't seem to bother me that much when I was playing with the band, but once alone...

Do louder amps like the Hot Rod Deville etc have a good tone at high volume?
IMO, the EQ is useless on a Blues Jr. I used to have one, and I could never hear a difference in tone while playing with the EQ. I never cranked it, but I got massive amounts of feedback and noise when I added my tubescreamer. Returned it the next day. No regrets.
Hot Rod Deville should have really good cleans, but not @ maxed volume. I'm pretty sure all tube amps break up before getting to max power.
And the stock speaker tends to fart out and get crappy at max volume.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by alans056

Now my question is : Is it NORMAL to have a hideous tone at high volume when not jamming together ? Do my ears have to get used to it ?

Well, maybe not hideous, but a tone that sounds good and mixes well with a full band will rarely sound great by itself... All that 'bad sounding' midrange is where the guitar is heard best against loud drums+bass
Quote by entity0009
some retards decided it would be funny to use mental conditions as insults.
I actually bought a Red White and Blues speaker by Eminence. I tried it on but didn't see any difference at all. So I gave it back and put the original back on.

I'm not into changing speakers anymore. A ton of hassle for not much in the end IMO
Quote by sword shredder
Well, maybe not hideous, but a tone that sounds good and mixes well with a full band will rarely sound great by itself... All that 'bad sounding' midrange is where the guitar is heard best against loud drums+bass

By hideous I meant a huuuuuuge amount of mids ! The notes were so "big" and unpleasant to the ear!

Thanks for that info : an amp won't sound great on its own at high volume then?! Even with bigger amps?
My Diezel sounds great anywhere on the volume knob. It's just that the Blues Jr. isn't all that great of an amp.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

a red white and blue is not a good match for that amp.

and there are amps that sound good at high volume.

The blues junior tends to sound boxy.

loose and flubby.

billm talks about it on that website I linked you too.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
thanks for the website, it's very interesting!

But I'm really not into moding. I guess I should consider a bigger amp for playing in a band. Like the Hot Rod Deville ? 60w
HRD just sounds like ass. Yes, you need a bigger amp but not that one. What genres do you play and what's your budget.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

It sounds like ass ?! A lot of my favorite bands use them around the world. What is bad about it?

I play mostly rock like Modest Mouse, The Strokes, Eric Clapton, Oasis, David Bowie...
The drive channel is one of the worst I've ever heard. I owned one for 5 or 6 years. Fizzy and flabby regardless of settings. Really harsh. Cleans are alright but nothing special. Reverb is clangy and gross, even by spring standards. I can't think of many big name touring bands using HRDs... Though I know they're often used when the main amp craps out.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Look into like an egnater or something. I know several people who play on blues jrs and I do sound for them regularly and I can never get good tones out of those amps. It's always far too harsh and sounds like poop at high volumes.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
Quote by AcousticMirror
a cannabis rex is a great upgrade for that amp.

check this site out for information.

http://billmaudio.com/wp/?page_id=2

+1

Cannabis Rex and a tube swap did wonders.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Right so it's not me, it's definetly the amp that's bad for high volumes... Damn such a shame. I bought it new a year ago but now that I want to play in a band it lets me down.

Quote by mmolteratx
The drive channel is one of the worst I've ever heard. I owned one for 5 or 6 years. Fizzy and flabby regardless of settings. Really harsh. Cleans are alright but nothing special. Reverb is clangy and gross, even by spring standards. I can't think of many big name touring bands using HRDs... Though I know they're often used when the main amp craps out.

I would never use the drive channel. I have a Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde for that.

Bands I listed like The Strokes, Modest Mouse ... use HRD everywhere and they get great tones. It was my first choice but I went with a Blues Jr because of budget.

I know nothing about Egnater. How are they better ?
Quote by mmolteratx

The new ones are a lot better than the old ones, especially after changing the tubes. I will agree about the reverb tho. I can only take a little before it gets annoying.
I am considering a Fender Supersonic 22w combo. Would that be a significant step up from my Blues Jr in terms of band volume playing and tone?
Quote by AcousticMirror
when has modest mouse ever used a hot rod deluxe.

I thought I saw them once on youtube, but I may be wrong. The Strokes definetly do.
isaac plays custom fender super sixes.

johnny marr is a 100 watt marshall and a fender super.

nick valenci plays a supersonic 100 now.

The 22 is going to have all the same problems that your having now.

It's got the same speaker and it's going to sound boxy.

if you get a new amp you're going to want the 60.
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Mar 11, 2012,
They were promoting We were dead before the ship even sank. My mistake, no HRD there!

Nick and Albert from the strokes used HRD everywhere from 2000 to 2006, which -they say- was a huge part of their sound, with the jekyll and hyde.

I am considering a Supersonic 22 because of the watts, the overall style, and the reviews. Unfortunaty I can't try it out where I live.
the hrd's were used live and micced.

if you micc your blues junior then you won't have a problem.
Quote by AcousticMirror

The 22 is going to have all the same problems that your having now.

It's got the same speaker and it's going to sound boxy.

if you get a new amp you're going to want the 60.

Are you absolutely sure about that ? 22w tube sounds really loud, the Blues Jr already hurt my ears after 30min at mid volume.
Won't it keep the tone better at high volume?

60w tube is really expensive. Is there another way around?

Quote by AcousticMirror

the hrd's were used live and micced.

if you micc your blues junior then you won't have a problem.

Right I see! I forgot about the whole "micced" thing. Yes of course, then maybe I can live with it.

Would you have any tips to have the best tone I can a band volume with a Blues Jr ? I tried scooping the mids but it got worse
Last edited by alans056 at Mar 11, 2012,
Egnater's a great brand. Though TBH, I really like the Fender SuperSonics for the price. Not the 22 though. It suffers from the same problems as the BJ. The 60 and 100 are killer though. My buddy's a Fender endorsee and uses a Super Sonic 100 and an EVH 412. Awesome sound. But the Egnater is also significantly cheaper and not much worse. Just less versatile on the fly. Personally, I need multiple channels for an amp to be of use live unless I want to bring dirt pedals and boosts.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Egnater claims to be boutique without actually being boutique. They make really good amps that have ridiculous tweaking capabilities. I don't use them myself, but I've liked them whenever I've played on them.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ P90s
Epiphone Wilshire Pro Reissue w/ Pearly Gates Pickups
JCA2212c
Vox Night Train
Raven 1x12
Digitech Whammy
TC Electronic Polyphonic Tuner
Earthquaker Devices The Hoof Fuzz
Carbon Copy
BYOC BBO
TC Arena Reverb
Hang on a sec guys. Am I reading this right? It sounded good and then turned to shit? Do you mean without touching any knobs? It changed?
We may be looking at a fault here, not a shortcoming of the amp, fellas.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by alans056
Right I see! I forgot about the whole "micced" thing. Yes of course, then maybe I can live with it.

Would you have any tips to have the best tone I can a band volume with a Blues Jr ? I tried scooping the mids but it got worse

Swap the speaker for a Cannabis Rex, like he said before, then swap the power tubes for JJs and play around with preamp tubes (BillM's site has a great list of some common set ups for the preamp) and you've got a beast that will destroy the HRD. I've got a BJr with those upgrades and I play with two friends with HRDs and both acknowledge that I have better tone, even when playing loudly enough to keep up with a drummer.

I really don't get the BJr hate in here at all. They go for $300 used all day long and you'd be hard pressed to find anything better for that price. Whoever said the EQ has no effect is deaf. It may not be the most responsive EQ (but its not the least responsive either) I've used but to say it has no effect is just ridiculous. Turn all the knobs down to '1' then tell me the EQ doesn't do anything.

I think there's a lot of hype in here, because there are better amps out there for sure... But don't take that to mean you have to dump the BJr to get a decent tone.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Cathbard
Hang on a sec guys. Am I reading this right? It sounded good and then turned to shit? Do you mean without touching any knobs? It changed?
We may be looking at a fault here, not a shortcoming of the amp, fellas.

+1

Mine doesn't sound that different loud than it does quiet... If anything better. If it really sounds as bad as he says then I'd say something is wrong. In my opinion the BJr is meant to be played loud, saying the opposite doesn't make sense. I just assumed he's bought into the hype and convinced himself he just 'needs' something better though, which may still be true.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!