Page 1 of 4
Hello Pitters.

Grab a seat around the fire. Anywhere will do. Yeah, right there’s fine.

No wait. That's my chair! No, that's Blake's. There's good. Now how about that fire? It’s really the best I can do.

So, now that you’re comfortable, let me welcome you to the first, of what’s hopefully many, fireside chats. This is a place where you can sit back, and discuss a topic each week with your fellow Pitters. We’ll probably center on music for the immediate future, but at some point we could change to movies or books or whatever.

Remember that this is supposed to be a fun, relaxed discussion. There’s no need for holding your own tastes as superior and belittling others. We’re all bros and lady-bros here. Music (and movies and books and {insert other medium here}) are subjective; we all like cramming different things into our earholes. So, every genre is welcome in these chats. You’re a fan of metal? Post away! You’re into late70s punk? Feel free to participate! 3rd wave ska? Go ahead. You want to discuss jazz? Aren’t you a little old for the internet?

What discussion topic do we have for you this week? We’re going 90s. But not the 90s that everybody remembers. This week let’s talk about bands that nobody remembers. Let’s talk about the forgotten bands and albums of the 90s.

Here’s a list that may help get things started:

*Disclaimer: we know that some of you will know these bands, so you don’t have to point out if you do*

Hum

Hum are best known for bringing the genre space rock to the airwaves with their appropriately named hit “Stars.” Although space rock is the worst name for a genre, maybe ever, it fits. All the songs have the standard post-Nirvana sound, but with spacey/atmospheric quality. Nirvana fans will enjoy this band, as well as fans of post hardcore bands like Jawbox and Quicksand. The best place to start would be their "hit" album You'd Prefer an Astronaut. Listen to "Suicide Machine"

Digable Planets

Some of you may know this hip hop group as the guy from Shabazz Palaces’ old group, but don’t expect a similar sound. Instead of alternative hip hop, the three members of Digiable Planets rap over Jazz beats. You’ve probably heard the song “Cool Like Dat,” but like most one hit wonders from the 90s, their album has much better songs. If you’re not a fan of hip hop, check them out anyways. Very few “gangster” themes; instead you’ll hear shout outs to Sartre and Camus. Listen to "Where I'm From"

Helmet

I don’t know if this has actually been said, but it wouldn’t surprise me if Helmet has been called “The Thinking Man’s metal band.” That’s silly, but there definitely is something that separates Helmet from other early 90s metal, at least to me. There’s an effort to expand the sound and push it in a different direction. Listen to "FBLA II"

Vic Chessnutt

Vic Chesnutt is an alt country/folk singer/songwriter, who has been called "skewed, refracted version of Americana that is haunting, funny, poignant, and occasionally mystical, usually all at once". His songs are incredibly honest and introspective. Listening to one of his songs is looking into his mind, like each song is part of him. He was haunted by something his entire life, and two years ago he committed suicide, but not before releasing many incredible albums throughout the 90s and into the 00s. Listen to "Degenerate"

Broken Hearts are Blue

With only one album to speak of, it's no surprise these guys are forgotten. Broken Hearts are Blue's Truth About Love is a solid release with great songwriting, showcasing an almost emo indie vibe throughout. Sometimes the best moments are when the vocals drop back and the band just jams out for a while. Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72apQ_9zJn8& ;feature=related.

Harvey Danger

Harvey Danger's Where Have All the Merrymakers Gone was their most popular success for their hit "Flagpole Sitta." No one seemed to go past that, though, which is a shame for the rest of the album was great as well. A more polished sound but still comparable to Broken Hearts, the production's a bit easier on the ears, but the quirkiness of the music is turned up, and again a great band backs the vocals giving a great 90's indie soundscape. Nelson's vocals are a great presence throughout the album. Check out "Jack the Lion".

Discount

Florida punk band Discount, led by Alison Mosshart, put out Half Fiction in 1997. Featuring a great dynamic between the band and Mosshart, each song fits a perfect summer time punk vibe. I actually prefer the album to No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom which is an impressive feat. Definitely listen to "On the Counter".

(Invalid img)

Better than Ezra

Possibly the least forgotten of the list, I have such a soft spot for this band due to driving around with my dad a bunch listening to Deluxe and Friction, Baby. Great vocals and songwriting throughout both albums (they have more, those are just my favorite) and a solid rhythm section to boot, it'd be good for you to listen to this.

So, feel free to post your own lists. You don’t have to follow our format. Remember though, this thread is for discussion, so please feel free to single out albums from posts and discuss them in depth. The lists are just a jumping off point for discussion.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Anal Cunt's I Like It When You Die is the best album of the 90's. Discuss
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.

This will do just fine.

Quote by theogonia777
Anal Cunt's I Like It When You Die is the best album of the 90's. Discuss

I am off put by their homophobic song titles.

Recycling is most certainly not "gay."
Last edited by blake1221 at Mar 11, 2012,
90s - home of the best Saturday morning cartoons.

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
We can guess what Blake wrote and what I wrote.

Hint: Blake's are the good ones.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown

Portishead have slowly become my second favourite band of the 90s. Only second to Radiohead, also of the 90s... but we know them...

So Portishead.
Second wave of black metal was big in the 90s
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
Quote by OVER9000VIDEOS
Can't go wrong with Anal Cunt.

This too
Quote by Stranglehold
That's it, you're all banned.

Quote by stevebomb
If I wanted to listen to something slow, I'd play some hippie music.
I'd like to bring up the band Liquido. I'm sure most of you have heard their hit Narcotic but they also had other, great songs, such as Tired?

Also: Travis, The Verve, Oasis, Blur, Soundgarden, Dr. Dre, Bloodhound gang, The Hives, Kent, The Cardigans, The Smashing Pumpkins... just some 90's band nostalgia.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by OVER9000VIDEOS
Can't go wrong with Anal Cunt.

I'm finding out that you can.

Pottery isn't gay, either.

Quote by Piñata

Portishead have slowly become my second favourite band of the 90s. Only second to Radiohead, also of the 90s... but we know them...

So Portishead.

Post your favorite song by them.

Quote by Kensai
I'd like to bring up the band Liquido. I'm sure most of you have heard their hit Narcotic but they also had other, great songs, such as Tired?

Also: Travis, The Verve, Oasis, Blur, Soundgarden, Dr. Dre, Bloodhound gang, The Hives, Kent, The Cardigans, The Smashing Pumpkins... just some 90's band nostalgia.

Tired is a great song. Still don't like Oasis lol.
Quote by Kensai

Are Oasis, Blur, Soundgarden, Dr. Dre, and the Smashing Pumpkins forgotten though?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

i know none of these!!

My 90's consisted of pogs,the fresh prince,saved my the bell,pokemon and hansen
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by element4433
Are Oasis, Blur, Soundgarden, Dr. Dre, and the Smashing Pumpkins forgotten though?

Who?
Ok, here's one band that's definitely forgotten. Guano Apes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFvCx6w_ptE&feature=related
I suppose I'll have to check me out some Helmet.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by blake1221
I feel like I need to be half comatose in the corner of my room with a needle hanging out of my arm to fully appreciate this song.

This is basically true.
let me just roll down to the local record store and listen to these new ditties

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
gin blossoms
live
blessid union of souls
cowboy mouth
sunny day real estate
#DTWD
Quote by justinb904
I suppose I'll have to check me out some Helmet.
Meantime or Betty
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

I don't know any obscure bands from the 90s since I wasn't alive then

Well, I was. But I didn't listen to music which just means I wasant' alive.

What about the pixies? Are they well known?
Quote by primusfan
gin blossoms
live
blessid union of souls
cowboy mouth
sunny day real estate

Good post.

I wasn't sure if it was best to include bands like Sunny Day Real Estate or Moss Icon, but they're definitely awesome. 90's Emo could run rampant in this thread if they counted lol.

Quote by Piñata
This is basically true.

Good song, thank you for sharing.

Quote by OVER9000VIDEOS
I sold your dog to a Chinese restaurant so I could buy herion.

Don't you dare touch Fudge.

I would end you.

Quote by ali.guitarkid7

I'd say they are decently well known. They formed in '86. The only album I know by them has "Where is My Mind?" from the end of Fight Club, but that came out in '88.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I don't know any obscure bands from the 90s since I wasn't alive then

Well, I was. But I didn't listen to music which just means I wasant' alive.

They're well-known if you're into music.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Broken Hearts are Blue and Harvey Danger are pretty rad. I did not know this before this thread.

Good thread.
Quote by wizards?
I agree with most of the bands in the OP, but you forgot American Football and Blur. Two bands from the 90's that are essential.
Everybody in PP&E and even hardcore still remembers those bands
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

They are known. But they don't get nearly as much respect as I think they should.

Soooooo many good songs.... certainly more than just where is my mind and hey.

I bleed is awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqhHPl_oCmU
Quote by wizards?
I agree with most of the bands in the OP, but you forgot American Football and Blur. Two bands from the 90's that are essential.
Blur was played on the rock radio station I listened to in high school. American Football have been pretty influential in the underground music scene for the last few years.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Ya, Broken Hearts are Blue are so good. The Truth About Love is one of the better emo albums.
Does anybody else really despise the late 90s industrial music? Like the stuff used in The Matrix? Makes me want to stab myself.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by wizards?

See my "90's emo" addition to my post.

Field day if American Football had counted.

Quote by bradulator
Does anybody else really despise the late 90s industrial music? Like the stuff used in The Matrix? Makes me want to stab myself.

I know that I hate industrial music and Trent Reznor.

/mind

Quote by due 07
Ya, Broken Hearts are Blue are so good. The Truth About Love is one of the better emo albums.

I'm glad you posted about them, because I thought about making a comparison to MBV.

Would you see where I was coming from or is that a little off?
Page 1 of 4