First of all, I'm new here so I hope it's okay to post this topic right here.

Just a little bit about myself, I play guitar for almost 2 years now, most of it on electric-guitar. I've been playing on a cheap beginner set and was quite cotented with it. However, since my budget and skill have grown in the cause of time (and so have my expectations towards my guitar) I'd like to get a proper guitar. I've been doing some research myself for now and I'm pretty much aware that a good guitar doesn't make all of the sound, you need a good amp, too, but I'll ask for it later perhaps, in the respective part of the forum.

I had little opportunity to play and check some guitars for real (been to a local small guitar shop close by and tried some Ibanez') but I'm planing a bigger trip to a bigger store where I could finally find what would fit be mest. However, I'd like to go there with some pre-knowledge. I was planing to spent more or less 700€ for my guitar.

I mainly favourise Ibanez and Jackson, but I'm pretty much open for other suggestions. This is what I'd expect from my future guitar:

- at best H-S-H pickups, but I could live with H-H. Stock pickups ought to be good, but I'll probably switch them for better once some time. Who wouldn't?
- 5-way-switch
- good, stable tremolo ("edge zero II with ZPS"-ish)
- don't care much abou the wood, but I prefer Basswood, Mahogany, Rosewood and Maple.
- 24 jumbo-frets.
- 7 strings are optional, but not necessary.

Concerning my musica preferences: I mostly play power metal and 80's rock. I don't prefer neither playing the rythm nor the lead parts, but iI had to chose I'd take the leads. Some of my favourite bands are Scorpions, AC/DC, Dragonforce, Hammerfall, Sonata Arctica. At least these are the bands I mostly play songs from ^^

Hope I didn't forget anything important,

Greetings,

Dragonfyre137
Last edited by Dragonfyre137 at Mar 12, 2012,
Good to see another Hammerfall and Sonata Arctica fan in here. That is awesome.

I'm not sure how many of Ibanez and Jackson's lines are 24 frets, but if that's not an issue I'd honestly reccomend a used Ibanez RG550 with some different pickups in it. But I've got no idea what the european markets like.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Charvel Pro-Mod SoCal or San Dimas if 22 frets are enough for you.
Great guitars for 80's and Power Metal with a good Floyd Rose tremolo, nice stock pickups (Seymour Duncans and Dimarzios) and great overall quality for the price.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Get a used RG550/570 - much better than anything ibanez are putting out in the midline and had all the features you wanted
As for Jackson - avoid at this price point - all of them use crappy licensed floyds that will eventually annoy you once they lose tuning stability.

If you are going new, now that all of the lower end Ibanez RGs use the edge zero 2, that should keep in tune fine, and again all have 24 frets and nice thin necks
Last edited by gman128 at Mar 11, 2012,
Quote by JesusCrisp
Charvel Pro-Mod SoCal or San Dimas if 22 frets are enough for you.
Great guitars for 80's and Power Metal with a good Floyd Rose tremolo, nice stock pickups (Seymour Duncans and Dimarzios) and great overall quality for the price.

Def. this. Although I don't know of any guitars made out of Mahagoni. I do however know some made of Mahogany
+1 on MIJ prestige (though from what i hear, they're not as good as they used to be... haven't tried any of the recent ones), MIJ charvel, maybe MIJ jackson if 700 euro will get you one of the neck-thru ones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
not sure what they cost where you live, but an ESP LTD H-1007FR should tick pretty much every one of your boxes (okay, it has a 3 way switch).
First of all, thanks for all the answers.
And yes, I meant Mahogany..., sorry, English isn't my native language.

The ESP LTD H-1007FR costs 1099€ over here, so slightly above my budget.

I checked the Ibanez S550/570 and some others and thus far these three caught my attention:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_s570dxqm_bbb.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_rga72qmtlb.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_rg870qmzrdt.htm

I actually haven't the bloody idea how things are about the premium series of Ibanez, heard a lot of people say they're actually even worse than the standard series. Any experiences here? From what I can tell by the first glance the basic diference seem to be the stock pickups (CAP for premium and low-end-Ibanez stock pickups for the standard).

Perhaps I forgot to add, but I was planing to get a guitar that would serve me well for the next, let's say, 10 years. I'd really hate to buy a cheap guitar and buy a new one a couple of years later.I guess it's a bad idea to be tight with money here.
Last edited by Dragonfyre137 at Mar 12, 2012,
Get a used RG1570, save the rest for when you figure out what pickups you want in it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I just have another question more or less concerning this topic: Could anyone tell me how much the guitar and amplifier influence the sound? Does most of it come from the guitar or the amp? Or ist it like 50:50? (I know most of the sound comes from your fingers, but besides that)

thanks for the help.
amp
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by Dragonfyre137
I just have another question more or less concerning this topic: Could anyone tell me how much the guitar and amplifier influence the sound? Does most of it come from the guitar or the amp? Or ist it like 50:50? (I know most of the sound comes from your fingers, but besides that)

thanks for the help.

Mostly the amp. More like 85:15. Sound does not come from your fingers. Nuances and style do. Your "sound", your "tone" is all your amp. The guitar also only adds nuances.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Used rg1570, 550 or 570. Guess you could look for an older s540/540s too. For the cost, I'd avoid the new premium models. I bought a used rg3570z for less than what a new permium would have cost me.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by Dragonfyre137

thanks for the help.

this is no help, but they're both super-duper important.

if i had to say, i'd say the amp is more important, but that's not to say the guitar isn't too. And the "amp is all that matters" brigade is mainly a backlash against the usual underestimation of how much the amp influences the sound.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?