Hey,
**Warning this is back story and guitar info if you want to skip to the question just go after this to the line break.**
I have a couple questions. I know low-action and it is what i prefer. I own an Ibanez RG5EX1 Black, and so you don't have to look it up it has 24 frets a Floyd Rose floating tremolo system with two humbuckers and a single coil for its pickups. I'm pretty new, and I know that these are features all well above my skill level, but I've been playing for about half a year, I took a guitar class at college level, and I wanted a guitar that I felt a connection with that I wouldn't have to replace as soon as I got sick of being a beginner and wanted a better a guitar. Anyway I had an ordeal with the spring tension, and after I failed to fix it and my guitar teacher turned out to be to stubborn to admit he know nothing of a floating bridge I had to pay to have it set-up again. But after the setup the 6th string (or thickest) was just barley to low (I told them to put it as low as possible without creating a sound issue) just the first 5 or 6 frets buzz on it and I'm not even sure that the amps are picking up the buzz... (Rocksmith doesn't seem to even recognize it an almost always picks up the notes fine, but I do have a line 6 practice amp spider IV).

I know what what I have do to change the action, but my questions are:
If I only raise the top portion of the action is that bad that the top and bottom won't be level?
Will this alter the tuning? (it has locking nuts so tuning isn't an every day thing for me)
Is there any thing I should know about changing the action? (even if you consider it trivial and that I already know it, just say it anyway. I'm new and teaching myself.
I'm no expert, but I believe minor string buzz is normal and usually doesn't come through the amp. My teacher's guitars have some buzz and the tech guys at my local shops have buzz. If you want no buzz but low action, you need to have you frets leveled. Essentially, they get sanded down or replaced so that they're exactly the same height. Even a new machine-cut guitar will have slight unevenness which worsens with wear. The bad news is a fret leveling costs a few hundred dollars. I'm gonna have it done soon because my guitar is buzzing quite a bit, but in you case it may not be worth it. You seem to like your guitar enough and be enough of a perfectionist to warrant it, but there doesn't seem to be much buzz really. It's a question of whether perfection is worth $300 more than extremely near perfection.
Thanks for the tips, but just to clarify to change the action on my guitar its just two screws that will lower or raise it (not sure what you meant when you said they'd have to sand it to fix it. But I didn't think it would pick up the buzz either since its all the way at the top, but i'm no expert. So I'll assume your right for now and this minor buzz isn't all that important, its not like I'm playing professionally and I can't afford to throw another 300 dollars into this hobby right now. Thanks for the advice, it good to hear I'm taking some small things to seriously from a third party every once in a while.
Changing the action would help a little, but as buzzing decreases, the action will become less comfortable (unless you like it high, but you said otherwise). Also I believe the intonation (making sure the 12th fret played normally and it's harmonic are in tune with each other) and truss rod (a metal rod through the neck that determines how much it "pulls back" against the string tension) will need adjusting.

In order to make you guitar play with no buzz at whatever action, you need a fret job like I described, and that usually comes with action, intonation, and truss rod adjustments as well.
Last edited by s guy at Mar 13, 2012,