I've been screwing around with doing my own mastering recently, nothing too drastic, some minor EQ and a limiter (Waves Linear Phase Stuff if you're wondering.)

So when comparing my mastered track to the oZone pre-set I'd shoved on before out of ease (though turned off all but the compression and the limiter) two things strike me.

One - I have not limited the track as much, thus it is not quite as loud but is pretty close

Two - The track at points has up two three different guitar parts going at once and on my mastered version, these parts are far more discernible from each other than the oZone version

I'm assuming that this is due to the limiter squashing the track to a more uniform level, mashing these parts together more in the mix.

So my question is this, how do I reach "true modern" batshit levels of loudness without turning my track to mush?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Mar 11, 2012,
I haven't used oZone, but with Audacity(I know, I'm far from professional...xD) normalizing makes it as loud as possible without distorting. Is there a normalize button there?
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Normalizing is more to do with wave volumes see:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_normalization

My tracks are already normalized. I'm talking about getting market standard loudness (via mastering) without sacrificing my track clarity. I'm assuming something like a Stereo Widener would do it, but I want to be sure.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Sadly, there is no simple answer.

I think an amateur can get it most of the way home, but to really get it "there" is what has taken professional mastering engineers years of trial and thousands of dollars worth of equipment set up in specialized rooms.

I find the mastering stage very difficult. Compression, the harder you drive it, makes the track susceptible to pumping and breathing and limiting, the harder you drive it, makes the track susceptible to distortion artefacts. The fix is easy - back off on those a bit. But then you're not in the big-league "loud as bombs" territory. It seems kind of a trade-off.

Interesting to note that the Waves outperforms the "all-in-one" bag'o'tricks plugin.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Well the plugin I'm using are master bus specific plug ins. I read somewhere than the Linear Phase stuff is meant to be more transparent than the standard stuff.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Master bus specific, yes, but I'll place my bets that a pro mastering engineer WILL use stuff like EQ's and limiters from Waves and will NOT use an all-in-one "mastering" plugin.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Well good job that's what I'm doing then ^_^

Quote by DisarmGoliath