im looking for some pickups that'll get me a frusciante and john mayer sound. but im a little cautious about what im looking for because i have a ash strat and from what ive seen they use alder. soooooo im afraid that the pickups i like might brighten up too much in my guitar.

so any good pickups that'll warm up an ash strat and give me those kinds of sounds?

i was thinking irish tour BKPs

also im looking at an hss set and i'll split the bridge...sooo if that makes a difference.....
im mainly just looking for the two single coils though.
BKP make pickups called Mothers Milk which are based on Frusciante

So yeah that seems like obvious choice
thats what i was thinking at first.
but they sound like they'd brighten up in my guitar and be too bright.
plus mayer has more of a mid ranged thing so im looking for a more inbetween.
john mayer pickups have no mid range. you can tell from his clean sound. then he adds an overdrive pedal with a big mid boost.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
In the April 2009 edition of Vintage Guitar (page. 122) John (Red Hot Chile Peppers) is asked:

Have you kept the original pickups in your Strats?

Here's his reply:

I would like to, but they do eventually need to be changed. On my '55, I bought it with an expert who insisted we open it up to see if the pickups were original. He and the people at the store all thought that they were original. Then years later, we found out that they were Seymour Duncan Vintage Strat pickups. They are so similar to the original that it's hard to tell the difference in sound. I had my '62, which has the original pickups, and then I had the '55 with the Duncans, and the sound was very similar. The differences had more to do with the guitars than the pickups. Eventually, I had to get Duncans in the '62 as well.

I'm a huge Froosh fan but I ended getting a set of Fender CS '69s which are working out beautifully.
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
ahhh the overdrive makes sense
sooo i should look at the fender pickups?
which ones do you think would balance out the best in an ash strat to give me that sound without being too bright?
Low output, vintage style single coils will do the job.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by Frusciantay
ahhh the overdrive makes sense
sooo i should look at the fender pickups?
which ones do you think would balance out the best in an ash strat to give me that sound without being too bright?

The Duncans are about $100 more than the CS '69s. Watch some videos, see what other people here think about them and then decide for yourself. The bridge p/u on the 69s can get a bit too bright but you can always adjust it by rolling down the tone, should you have it wired like that.
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb