i think a mic in a room and have everyone yell at once, thats how machine head did it for a song
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
What I've found works best is having at least 5 people (more is better) face a mic (I personally use an sm7b) and yell the line several times and layer it. Also it's best to move around between takes. Pan the layers of yells. And not to be sexist but don't have girls do it. You don't want the higher yells in with it. Good luck!
In my old band we would always do gang vocals by having a single mic in a room and have atleast 5 of us stand shoulder to shoulder and yell the line. Then re-track but yell louder. Then re-track again and yell very loud/scream. Then we would do 2 more takes but we all stand different distances from the mic with closest being about 3 feet away. then choose to do more/take some layers away in the final mix to suit the songs needs.
AMP:
Rocktron chameleon 2000
Roland GP16
Audio Technica wireless
Peavey valveking
Clydesdale custom case
GUITAR:
Indie super T black (modded with active and passive pickups)
Daisy Rock Rock Candy Special
On my band's soon-to-be-released album, for one of the songs the chorus has a chant/group type thing on the repeated line and to do this the singer, bassist and I all stood down the corridor of the room with the mic (Rode NT1A) in, with the door open, and shouted from there. You need a fairly quiet space to be able to have the gain up enough without picking up noise from neighbours/outside in the street/planes flying by etc. but small noises that slip through can actually add to the massive effect.

If you wanna hear how that turned out, first song in my profile
(Edit: First instance is at 2:08, and then throughout that chorus and the final one)

Oh, and generally speaking, if you record each voice individually you will not only end up with a huge track count to get the same effect, but you will also have to spend a lot of time panning the tracks about so you don't end up with the image of literally those people standing in a line, left to right... unless that is the effect you wanted. One trick you can use (as we did in the above song) if you have lead vocal lines between the shouts, is to have the singer stand in the middle each time (or for takes that will be panned more centrally/louder) so the listener still keeps some sense of perspective on what voice to focus on, while the rest add depth and size. Also helps if your singer is a much better singer than the rest of you!

Additionally, recording a track or two of the singer on his own doing the same line, to keep dead centre (along with the lead vox elsewhere) can also keep some focus and structure to the mix. Then just add a bit of reverb to the group shouts and pan them out wider to give some space down the centre for the lead vocals to shine through (particularly if the chants overlap with single-vocal lines).
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Mar 13, 2012,