Yay! New Bass Day for me!! Traded my yamaha RBX for this one. This is a luthier made instrument with one year use (according to the seller). Imitation of a Warwick Corvette, it's active, controls are pickups selector blade, master volume, treble boost/cut with coil tap, and bass boost/cut.
The full name would be Customizadas Warwick Double Active.
this is the preamp. probably the least interesting picture.

Interesting story is that this bass was made by the luthier that not too long ago said their basses were made for professionals, and i should get some other bass if i was a starter. I found out about this when i was trying the bass before i buy it. what's interesting about this is that this was the first bass of the guy who traded it with me, that played not too good (not better than I do with only 4 months of bass classes...). So he was a completely beginner and he got the bass and no one cared. i just don't know why i was told what i was told just two months ago. anyways, maor p0rn!

I am very pleased with the deal i got, cause this bass justifies having two basses. the jazz and the RBX were both passive 4 strings, and were not too different one from each other. this beast is completely different. its active, has two soapbar pickups, is a 5 string, so it justifies having two different basses.

I like showing it little by little.

This bass is great sounding overall, and has quite a lot of tonal cappabilities since it's multiple controls. I'd rather independant volume knobs instead of a picup selector, but who cares. It seems well built overall, and i like it very much. i still have to get used to that 5th string, though.

I found some flaws though. the bridge looks ok, but i may upgrade it in the future. the tuners don't look sturdy enough for me, so they migth be a sooner upgrade. the knobs feel somewhat cheap, and the treble control is a little loose. the major flaw is that the lower horn comes in the way and makes frets 21-24 definetly unplayable. the problem is that it is too close to the neck. i checked some original warwicks pictures, and their horns are a little away from the neck... but that is it's only real flaw.

I'm very pleased with this new bass. i still have to use it a lot more to see what is capable of.

Still, I'd like to ask some pointers. what do i have to know about actives? I saw the other day that there are some chargeable 9v batteries, are they trustable? cause I like the idea of having a chargeable battery rather than buying new ones every now and then... also, this bass has two truss rods. how am i supposed to adjust them if needed? i don't need to adjust it still, but i'd like to know how to do it, because when i change the strings, I think i might get some thicker ones (not too much, but i feel that these are lighter strings than the ones i like [0.45-1.05] Is there anything else i should know?

Now, the family picture!!

lastly, i am not sure what are the woods. can anyone tell by the look of it? I can contact the luthier, though i'm not in the mood for that

To this day i haven't been able to post pictures... i uploaded them to photobucket, and then did the IMG /IMG between [ I hope it works this time.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Last edited by Sudaka at Mar 11, 2012,
Well I briefly read through your post, and for your pointers: Rechargable batteries will work, but you have to do some research on the kinds of batteries that the said actives are compatible with such as output and acid type (NiMH is a common one). The kind of charger you have matters just as much as the battery too. Can't help with the truss rods. You may need to change intonation just a little when you change strings.
I am the crack in the wall, The eye in the sky.
I am the final slumber, The great divide.
I am the silence in madness, That lies to your face,
My woe is accepted, 'tis the end of your race.
Very nice, got the bass you wanted and didn't have to pay the rude guy. Win - Win
Don't bother with rechargeables. You won't find yourself changing batteries often at all. I bought 30 9v batteries at the start of last year because they were cheap in bulk. I'm still not off the first box of ten. Add to the fact that most rechargeables never actually fully recharge makes them a pretty bad idea for an active bass. It'll cost you a couple of bucks every 6 months if that.
Anyway, HNBD! I really like the look of this one. Do you know what woods are used? Also, any chance of some sound clips?

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see your bit about the woods, if I had to guess I'd say it's an ash body and a wendge neck, not sure on the fretboard, hard to tell on a phone screen.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Mar 12, 2012,
Quote by askrere
Very nice, got the bass you wanted and didn't have to pay the rude guy. Win - Win

That's what I thought!

As far as the woods, I'll try to contact the luthiers... still, The frets are put on the neck... there seems to be no different wood or "layer" between the neck and the frets.

I'll post closer pics of the woods when i get home tonight. As far as soundclips, I'll record something, and I'll tell you when i do, so that you listen how it sounds. what pickup would you like to hear?
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Nice man, I see your taking the bass pretty seriously. Keep it up
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Nice man, I see your taking the bass pretty seriously. Keep it up

yes I am... and I am continuously developing! Still I am just a beginner!

Uploaded an mp3 to my profile with the bass straigth to an external audio interface! check it out! I'll try to upload some more things, yet! but please, enter a comment if you like it, comment on the tone and on what you hear. be warned, it won't be perfect, but if you can help me with suggestions, i'll be grateful. hope you enjoy!
Quote by FatalGear41

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Bump a loompa!

Need some tips yet! and also I'd like to hear what you thought of the clips!
Quote by FatalGear41

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
I really like the sound of the bridge pup. The neck pickup sounds a little tinny to me though.

Also, on your 3 finger playing, it's really easy to get into the habit of playing triplet things. Try playing 8th notes and keeping all the notes even volume. That way when you're playing quarters/8ths/16ths at any speed, you'll get a consistent tone and not sound like you're trying to play this cool syncopated rhythm all the time.

And keep in mind, while the natural sound of your bass is cool, the tone you'll be getting live is dictated I'd say about 80-90% by your amp/cab combo.

But I digress. It's a nice sounding bass, while I don't like the look of it as much as I like warwicks (which I don't care for one way or another anyway), it sounds like a nice enough bass. Hope it plays well too.
I saw the width of the neck on that shot of the back and thought "Another 6er?" And I got that anime face when something good is about to happen

But then it was only a 5 and I sadfaced.
Owell
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by King Of Suede
I really like the sound of the bridge pup. The neck pickup sounds a little tinny to me though.

Also, on your 3 finger playing, it's really easy to get into the habit of playing triplet things. Try playing 8th notes and keeping all the notes even volume. That way when you're playing quarters/8ths/16ths at any speed, you'll get a consistent tone and not sound like you're trying to play this cool syncopated rhythm all the time.

And keep in mind, while the natural sound of your bass is cool, the tone you'll be getting live is dictated I'd say about 80-90% by your amp/cab combo.

But I digress. It's a nice sounding bass, while I don't like the look of it as much as I like warwicks (which I don't care for one way or another anyway), it sounds like a nice enough bass. Hope it plays well too.
I saw the width of the neck on that shot of the back and thought "Another 6er?" And I got that anime face when something good is about to happen

But then it was only a 5 and I sadfaced.
Owell

LOL! Yeah, the neck is the only thing i don't like very much. It has the same string spacing than any other 4 string, and is as phat as a bat. it's quite difficult to come used to it coming form a thin, slim Jazz bass neck.

as far as the triplets, this is the first exercise i do with 3 finger playing, and is supposed to use triplets the whole track. I will start playing 8ths with three fingers in the near future. still, i do some 8th playing, fooling around every now and then.

Thanks for all the input, it is much appreciated!
Quote by FatalGear41

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Yeah my issue with 5ers is that out of the 50 or so that I've played, I did not like the neck on ANY of them. They just never seem to have a comfy spacing for me. This looks like no exception xD
And yeahyeah, I hear you on the triplets and it's easy to get into that pattern. I dabbled in 3 fingers for a while and pull it out when I'm feeling lazy. I found being able to play 8th's at a moderate tempo with it more applicable than being able to play 8th trips at 200bpm.

And can I use this thread to declare that people on UG should use this gif at any point they see applicable? Cause it just makes smile every time
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
It makes you smile?

that's so cute!

Quote by FatalGear41

Sterling Ray 35
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Hnbd!
Main Basses:
Warwick RB Corvette 5
Douglas Sculptor 825 NA Fretless 5

Main Rig:
Sansamp>GK Backline 600>2 GK BLX 210 Cabinets