I'm interested in learning classical guitar, but I'm unsure where to start. Would I be looked down upon by modding an acoustic for nylon strings or should I deal with insanely wide frets? Are there classical guitars with fretboards in similar sizes to the acoustic and electrics I'm used to?
I'm not too sure about your second question, but there is nothing wrong with using nylon stringed guitars. Modding seems a tad... excessive. I bought a crappy Yamaha nylon string guitar for just over a hundred dollars two years ago and it still works beautifully for classical pieces (especially Bach's Lute Suites)
yeah, man, just get the classical. the nylon strings are further apart for good fingerpicking and makes a nice tone. i believe the body shape contributes as well.

it sounds beautiful, and i only paid 130NZD for it.
A modded steel string, (even if it has classical type tuner pegs), is a far different animal than a classical guitar.

With a classical guitar, cedar, (instead of spruce), is the sound board material of choice, the soundboard bracing is different, and in most cases, the neck does not have a truss rod. These differences, (along with those already mentioned), all contribute to the nylon string tonality / experience.

The neck width of the classical is, (as mentioned above), is specifically designed for easier finger picking. A higher action than you're probably used to will also be the norm. Because of the low tension of nylon strings, their excursion is also much greater than steel strings. Hence, if you try to drop the action below a certain point, all you'll get is fret buzz
Im just worried about the width between frets and having trouble with technique and chording. I will check out a crossover and play a few classicals to see how they are.
Quote by AlanD
Im just worried about the width between frets and having trouble with technique and chording. I will check out a crossover and play a few classicals to see how they are.

It honestly doesn't take that long to get used to. It's been a while since I started playing classical guitar so it's hard to say, but I think it will only take you a week or so.