Page 1 of 2
*I apologize for the question, as it may be "THAT" question everyone always asks*

After 2-3 hours worth of solid research on the web, i'm still questioning how my band can "make" it as a touring band and make a living off of it.

My band has been active locally for two years and i'd say we've been successful locally. We draw very well, we get great feedback from promoters and fans, and it's always been a great time.

But what are the tips and tricks to making it to where we can make a living off of it?

Do we hire a band manager to do the work that's outside of our hands for us?

Do we spend the next year all saving up from our jobs to buy a touring capable vehicle + trailer, and just do a mini tour along the states adjacent to us?

Do we send our press kits to labels and sit and wait for what's to come?

Would very like any feedback offered , i've been sending a lot of time dwelling within this question and can't seem to find the answer that gets me off the internet.
It was a multimillion dollar movie to make, and is still under copyright protection. I wouldn't suggest trying to recreate it.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
I would say look into getting a record deal and releasing an album. That would definitely get your name out and do a tour to support it.
1. Record album
2. Become megastars
3. ????
4. PROFIT!
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Quote by Saruko27
*I apologize for the question, as it may be "THAT" question everyone always asks*

Well, there are several ways -

1. Play shows until you generate enough buzz that a label notices you.
2. Play a show with a rep in the audience (unlikely these days) and make them interested in signing you by playing a hell of a show enough to convince them you're worth spending money and studio time on.
3. Play shows and release EPs to sell at your shows to get noticed by a rep based off grassroots buzz.
4. Play shows until you get noticed enough that a label feels they could make a profit off your albums vs. the amount of money they spent on making it.

Basically, it's almost all luck, and your band being in the right place at the right time.

If there were a surefire way to get signed and tour for a living, nobody would play dingy crap clubs that smelled like urine for drinks instead of money.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Watch this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBOFbTYNQcE&list=PL24985218623B9391&index=14&feature=plpp_video

Record a demo. Release that demo online via cdbaby or itunes.
Shop that demo to independent record companies
promote yourself online via Youtube, myspace and facebook.
print said demo cd to sell at shows along with band merch..

You don't need a record company these days to be successful, you just need to market yourself. At this stage there is nothing a record company can do for you that you can't do yourself.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
You should be doing all of those things. Add strong online presence to that list. Think of your band as a brand and a business. Ask yourself "what should a business to do to be successful" and apply to the band.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Adopt these guys' dress and mannerisms:

At worst you'll be an obnoxious, attention-seeking dildo, but at best you'll be rich and famous.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Last edited by ErikLensherr at Mar 11, 2012,
2 eggs
Flour,
Milk.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
do lots of drugs and alcohol and you should be well on your way
this is my signature, and it's purple in bold, you can't do anything about it.
With LEGOs.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: The Police

#wolfie2017 #freegyros #gifsftw G7#9
Your band can make it if you check out mine first.

Honestly, these days, I question whether I would really really want to have music be my career. It seems like it's an awful lot of work with small chance of reward. I'll always keep making music, but making a career off of music? I don't know man.
Pick up an acoustic guitar young, and learn to play it. Meet a past friend at the train station. Noticing the records under his arm, you kick it off and he invites you to listen to some with a group of like minded individuals. Meet a guitar player, who is good, and you get on well with. Also meet a piano player, who is in a band with the guitar player. Trial bass players, and hire the one with the best amp no matter how good or bad he is at bass. Put an ad in the paper looking for a drummer.

Name your band after a song from one of your favourite artists. Find yourself a young manager. Change the spelling of your name, as well as your bands to make it more 'pop'. Be a huge dick and kick out your piano player as you sell out going for the big time. Get signed by a major record label, who partly sign you out of desperation having missed a chance to sign a bigger band. Knowing you can not match other bands of your time, you become the antithesis to your biggest rival.

Cover an average song, which turns out pretty average on the charts. Embarrassingly, allow your biggest rivals to pen a song for you. Cover a few more songs, until finally you muster the courage, pick up your pride and pen an original song. It is shit, but hey your making a start. Practice makes perfect, and finally you pen a decent song. It is your first big hit, but with the help of a fuzzbox, you get your first international number one single.

Congratulations, I would say you have made it by now. Go on to release some good albums, until your lead singer suffers from LVS (Lead Vocal Syndrome) and f's off to become a prat.
You have two options:

A:

1. Either get Biber haircuts or tease your hair.
2. Every song must have four chords and a chorus
3. ????
4. PROFIT!!

B:

1. Leave said band
2. Audtion for American Idol or Xfactor or similar
3. ????
4. PROFIT!!

In all due seriousness, you will have to make stunning music, tour the hell out of your counrty and get a massive following before you can "Live" off music.
And even then, you will still have a job.
METAL!
By sucking a lot of dick and playing a lot of shitty gigs. Mostly sucking dick though, you better get used to making this face
You want to be in a position where you're making a living from playing music?

One second.

🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by Saruko27

After 2-3 hours worth of solid research on the web, i'm still questioning how my band can "make" it as a touring band and make a living off of it.

My band has been active locally for two years and i'd say we've been successful locally. We draw very well, we get great feedback from promoters and fans, and it's always been a great time.

But what are the tips and tricks to making it to where we can make a living off of it?

Do we spend the next year all saving up from our jobs to buy a touring capable vehicle + trailer, and just do a mini tour along the states adjacent to us?

Would very like any feedback offered , i've been sending a lot of time dwelling within this question and can't seem to find the answer that gets me off the internet.

Depends upon what exactly you mean by 'making it' as a touring band.
If it's a case of making just enough to live on, then the easiest way to get paying gigs is to be a covers band, although being a tribute band will generally get you higher wages, but these are both very limiting, nobody ever became hugely successful playing nothing but covers, so to be really successful, you need to play original 'quality' songs and have your material available to buy. (which obviously involves making 'quality' recordings)
The problem is, it's harder to get decent paying gigs for an original band in the beginning and it's only a relatively small number of original bands that actualy become very successful.

Definately try to buy your own transport, hiring transport takes too much out of your overheads.

Management isn't always necessary, you can easily manage yourself if you know what you are doing, but a good manager will be an asset. Personaly, I've always found that a good agent is a better asset than a manager. Theoreticaly, the more an agent makes from your gigs, the more money he also generates for the band because he gets a percentage of your earnings.
Always try to get a NET percentage deal with agents, managers, ect, rather than a GROSS percentage deal.
When someone agrees to a NET deal, it means that their percentage is taken out after expenses have been payed for. GROSS means that their percentage is taken out before expenses have been deducted.

Let's say you play a gig for $100 and your agent/manager gets 20%. ($20)
In a GROSS deal, you'll have to give him that $20, but it may have cost you $20 vehicle hire, $20 in petrol just to get to the gig and $20 to pay the sound engineer, leaving you with just $40, suddenly the agent/manager's percentage of 20% is looking more like half of your profits.
Under a NET agreement, he'd only be getting 20% of that $40. ($8)

But remember, the more people you have involved in your business, the more money you have to pay out in percentages, so if you can do your own management and getting gigs, it will generaly save you money.

A word of warning about touring.
It sounds simple doesn't it, you drive for a day, play a gig, grab some food and get some sleep, repeat the next day, absolute doddle..... but it's anything but.
The reality is, you spend the day sitting in a cramped vehicle with a buch of other people that after a while starts to feel like a prison cell, by the time you get out of the vehicle your legs and hips and back are quite stiff, this gets worse as the tour continues.
You invariably constantly eat shit. Roadside cafes, pizza, junk food, or if you're more sensible, sandwiches that you have made yourself from various fresh ingredients bought at a supermarket. But even this isn't really a healthily balanced diet.
So you're eating shit and slouching in a vehicle all day for days on end. Then on top of that, you have the gigs themselves, which involves a lot of nervous energy and, for many entertaining musicians, an almost 'aerobic' workout for the duration of the gig. It's like going from standing still to running flat out for a prolonged period of time with no warming up both physicaly and mentaly, every day.
This soon takes its toll on a person.

But wait, it gets worse, there are a whole bandfull of you going through this, while at the same time being locked in a vehicle together for most of the time. People get cranky and start taking it out on each other, before you know it, the whole band's immediate future is in jeopardy, best friends are suddenly fighting with each other and playing gigs together is becoming a real drag.

Because of all of the above, by the time you are 7 or 8 dates into your tour you will feel completely spent and continualy physicaly and emotionaly tired, you'll literaly feel ill and all you'll want to do is go home. By the end of the tour, if you stick it out, you may be suffering from serious depression and be physicaly malnourished, vowing never to do another tour ever again for as long as you live.

If you want to really enjoy your tours and get the most out of them, give yourselves 24 hours recuperation time every 4 dates or so. Just spend a day walking around a town or city (which gives you light exercise, just what your body will need after a few days touring) taking in it's sights, go to museums or art galleries, (which helps you re-centre yourself emotionaly) eat two or three healthy cooked meals during the day (which properly re-fuels you) and get a good night's sleep (a by-product of walking around all day and eating well) before continuing the tour the day after, feeling fully re-energised.
You'll have more fun that way, your gigs will be better and you will have probably learned a few things about culture and art along the way too, which is always good for inspiring artistic people like us musicians.

These blogs may be helpful.
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/SlackerBabbath/blog/51119/
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/SlackerBabbath/blog/51018/
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Mar 12, 2012,
Goddammit Slacker, now I want to find a new band more than ever.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Slacker, do you EVER half-ass a thread response? great post man.
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Quote by Harvey Swick
Slacker, do you EVER half-ass a thread response? great post man.

That was half-assed, that's why I had to post links to my blogs for more information.
Quote by Saruko27

frankly i wont give you advice unless you can prove your band dosnt suck
Quote by dazed60
frankly i wont give you advice unless you can prove your band dosnt suck

Surely it should be taken as read that 'not sucking' is obviously part of 'making it'?
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Surely it should be taken as read that 'not sucking' is obviously part of 'making it'?

*cough* Black Eyed Peas *cough*
1. Write some good music
2. play loacl gigs
3. If you're good enough you'll gain a fanbase
4. tour europe
5. highest selling album of all time
6. **** bitches
7. take drugs
8. **** more bitches
9. die from OD
10. Have a tribute concert
PARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTYPARTY
Very interesting post, Slacker!

May I add that you´ll probably need to spend much money. I don´t know where you`re from and what "locally successful" exactly means in your definition but I talked about this topic with an agent of a small label some time ago.
He serves some small bands and of them (called kleinstadthelden) played on a nationwide contest about a year ago and already supported national acts. Although this band has a lot of potential to become famous and they got much attention because of this contest, they´re just playing in small-sized venues (up to 200 people I suppose) and I´m sure the organizers don´t pay this much money for a gig.

So, what I want to say is that besides the huge amount of effort you have to put in your band, you also need to spend money for proper recordings, advertising (e.g. distributing cds on gigs for free, small gadgets you can throw to the audience), presentations and management (as Slacker already said), a vehicle (fuel is too ****ing expensive here in Germany these days) and perhaps sometimes a hotel room to rest, because you can´t live in a car for some weeks. Sadly most of the small venues can´t afford to pay as much as your costs for a gig will be.

tl;dr Earn some money dude!
Quote by Matse
Very interesting post, Slacker!

May I add that you´ll probably need to spend much money. I don´t know where you`re from and what "locally successful" exactly means in your definition but I talked about this topic with an agent of a small label some time ago.
He serves some small bands and of them (called kleinstadthelden) played on a nationwide contest about a year ago and already supported national acts. Although this band has a lot of potential to become famous and they got much attention because of this contest, they´re just playing in small-sized venues (up to 200 people I suppose) and I´m sure the organizers don´t pay this much money for a gig.

So, what I want to say is that besides the huge amount of effort you have to put in your band, you also need to spend money for proper recordings, advertising (e.g. distributing cds on gigs for free, small gadgets you can throw to the audience), presentations and management (as Slacker already said), a vehicle (fuel is too ****ing expensive here in Germany these days) and perhaps sometimes a hotel room to rest, because you can´t live in a car for some weeks. Sadly most of the small venues can´t afford to pay as much as your costs for a gig will be.

tl;dr Earn some money dude!

Basically, TS should become a rent boy.
Well then, thanks for the serious posts!

To the trolls:...... you get a 3/10... the trolling was pretty meh... i could've done better than that.

<333 to you guys actually giving a shit.

And Slacker, i do sort of realize the touring procedure! Spent many days in a row recording demos and EP's out of state with just the band and little food enjoyment. I'll be sure to keep in mind the physical and emotional aspects. Thanks!

and dazed, all though i don't see the sense in that post.. i'll be glad to post my band's facebook page with our latest EP... but i doubt you'd stick around to listen.

Cheers!
Quote by Todd Hart
They can't.

And there's the truth of it. The Odds are stacked WAY against.

But...and here's both the good and bad of it...they are similarly stacked against everyone else as well, and SOMEONE 'makes it' every day.

Might as well be the TS.

But it probably won't be.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Page 1 of 2