3000 - 3499
3 5%
3500 - 3999
2 3%
4000<
16 25%
Voters: 63.
Page 1 of 2
Ok so this is still somewhat of a pipe-dream at the moment, depending on whether or not I get the job I have an interview for next week, but either way it's still something for me/most people my age to think about anyway

So UG, I ask you this: How much did you spend on your first car? What were the kind of things you considered? How much does insurance vary etc?

yeah theres probably better places to ask this, but I'm not asking there, I'm asking here.
Last edited by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT at Mar 11, 2012,
Actually, I could use some help on this topic.

I'm moving out to LA soon and will definitely need a car there. I don't really care or know anything about cars, just need something that's durable and has light fuel consumption.

What price range should I expect for a modest used car like this? Any particular cars you'd recommend? What factors are most important?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana

Like a boss.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Xiaoxi

I'm moving out to LA soon and will definitely need a car there. I don't really care or know anything about cars, just need something that's durable and has light fuel consumption.

What price range should I expect for a modest used car like this? Any particular cars you'd recommend? What factors are most important?

I'd suggest not buying one IN LA. Maybe a smaller town more than 50 miles out.
Quote by captaincrunk
my current car cost 350 USD

My guitar cost more than that, not even by a little
but yeah I've seen some *decent* cars for around £500, but imagine how awesome it'd be if I saved up 3/4 months for this (for example). I can't even drive yet anyway, so saving up for a while doesn't really seem like that much of an issue, it's just the insurance that I bet'll bite me on't ass.
I spent 4500 on my first car and insurance is costing me 471 a month. Rediculous
My Gear:

Fretless Squier P Bass
Ibanez SR400QM
Gallien Krueger 1001RB
Traynor TC410
Digitech Whammy
Boss DD-7
Quote by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
but yeah I've seen some *decent* cars for around £500, but imagine how awesome it'd be if I saved up 3/4 months for this. I can't even drive yet anyway, so saving up for a while doesn't really seem like that much of an issue, it's just the insurance that I bet'll bite me on't ass.

craigslist

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Quote by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
but yeah I've seen some *decent* cars for around £500, but imagine how awesome it'd be if I saved up 3/4 months for this (for example). I can't even drive yet anyway, so saving up for a while doesn't really seem like that much of an issue, it's just the insurance that I bet'll bite me on't ass.

My stereo system cost ten times as the car that houses it.
My first car was a 93 Civic, 1.3L Carby, went ****ing no where, snails crawl faster.

Cost me $2,400 aussie dollars, 5 years ago.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by captaincrunk
My stereo system cost ten times as the car that houses it.

$3,500+? Well that's just silly.
I've had four first cars. First one was a $350 Volvo 240 that my dad got me. It blew up on the highway on a really hot day (Swedish cars aren't built for the Australian climate, apparently...)

The second car I bought was a 1977 280SE Mercedes for $3,000, and it was worth every cent. I only drive it on weekends nowadays though, as it's registered as a classic and I'd like to keep it looking nice.

Third car I got was a Range Rover (I don't want to say how much it cost), which dad then decided he liked more than his, and took it over.

Fourth car is my current car, which is a 1990 Ford Falcon GL and which I got for $800. So far, (with the exception of the Mercedes), it's the best car I've owned. Simple, rugged, powerful and extremely reliable. I love it. ♥
Quote by captaincrunk
Unlike a car I don't need to put gas in it, repair it, and in 5 years I can just put it in another shitty car.

Yeah but, three and a half grand? How much of a huge difference does a radicallyawesometubularsweetdudenice sound system make? (honest question)
Isn't there a car thread? You should probably try there, they could help out more. My car is my brother's old one, cost around 4,000 AUD and it's lasted about 10 years I think (although the engine did blow up and it was out of action for about a year) so it has served pretty well. Dunno how much insurance/rego is, my dad sorts that out. It's cheaper as a young driver (much, much cheaper) to go under your parents insurance and have you as an 'occasional' driver. Also, if you're like me and don't know jack about cars, try to take a friend who knows something so they can check out that everything's in ok shape. No used car is going to be perfect, but there can be a lot of difference between cars of a similar make and price depending on how well they're maintained, driven etc.
"People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis; you can't trust people."
Quote by Dory77
Isn't there a car thread? You should probably try there, they could help out more. My car is my brother's old one, cost around 4,000 AUD and it's lasted about 10 years I think (although the engine did blow up and it was out of action for about a year) so it has served pretty well. Dunno how much insurance/rego is, my dad sorts that out. It's cheaper as a young driver (much, much cheaper) to go under your parents insurance and have you as an 'occasional' driver. Also, if you're like me and don't know jack about cars, try to take a friend who knows something so they can check out that everything's in ok shape. No used car is going to be perfect, but there can be a lot of difference between cars of a similar make and price depending on how well they're maintained, driven etc.

Ah, didn't know there was one (never seen it around) but yeah my uncle works in a garage, only just dawned on me how it'd be a brilliant question to ask him, or how he'd be a brilliant person to ask* I think I really really want one of these
Quote by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
Yeah but, three and a half grand? How much of a huge difference does a radicallyawesometubularsweetdudenice sound system make? (honest question)

Kinda like the difference between a 300 dollar anything and a 3500 dollar same thing. But if you're gonna put 4 kilowatts in your vehicle it will cost a lot to do so.
My car cost $5000. The difference in insurance from that and the car I was going to get ('87 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham) was about $20 a month more.
Just realised that, cos a whole bunch of you are gonna be on the other side of the Atlantic, the poll is a bit redundant. $5000 is roughly about £2600
I bought a vauxhall corsa 1999 off a mate for £350 with 6 months tax and a years MOT. Its my first car

Insurance costs - £2130 a year (pisstake).

Who cares what your first car is or how much, its a car and a start. If your in the UK just watch out for insurance costs.

Im saving up for a new car though.
Quote by smokedereefa
Who cares what your first car is or how much

I want mine to be made out of some sort of special alloy, so it becomes a Chick Magnet. Or I might just buy one of those really shitty peugeot 206s and just spraypaint 'chick magnet' with some supercool hot rod flames down the side.
Quote by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
I want mine to be made out of some sort of special alloy, so it becomes a Chick Magnet. Or I might just buy one of those really shitty peugeot 206s and just spraypaint 'chick magnet' with some supercool hot rod flames down the side.

Yeah i see alot of ******s 'boying' up there shitty motors, putting racing exhausts n body kits n shit on them.
I wish I could just get a van or something and put a sofa in the back, be so chill, no more getting high outdoors in our gLoRiOuS English winter, ha.
about £400, lasted a couple of years then i moved to the city and scrapped it;
now extra flamey
I got my brothers first car as my first car which was 3500. When I moved here I got a car, which was the first that I paid for (though not all in one go) which was $20k
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I actually was given my first car, the one I have now, by my dad. So, I haven't spent anything on it either because he is also paying for insurance since I can't have a job.

/spoiledbrat

But, anywayyy

Would never be able to afford a car myself. A good one here cost atleast 2000-3000.(one that barely works that is)
Last edited by ErlingMK at Mar 13, 2012,
Quote by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT

So UG, I ask you this: How much did you spend on your first car? What were the kind of things you considered? How much does insurance vary etc?

To get the car, I paid nothing. I was promised it when I was a little kid. 12 years later, i got a free car.

Over about a year I've paid (nearly all of it done myself, so no labor fees) 600$ tires, 30$ both inner tie rods, 800$ exhaust manifold, flex pipe, cat, + muffler (it was rusted together and leaking so I had to replace the entire thing), 39$ for brake pads/+$35 for brake shoes (go through them like paper), DOT 5 brake fluid $30, $40 spark plugs (iridium for long life), spark plug wire set 36$, Oil change every 4.5k miles 25$ every time and $7 for an oil filter every 2 changes, and slap on an additional 150$ for a master rebuild kit for my auto transmission (my clutches are burned out along with my band, not including other worn parts yet).

So free car that's 16-17 years old and had 175k miles originally and i now have it at 210k miles, I've paid $2005+ (in the calc i put in 7-8 oil changes.)

Gas money not inlucded. When I first got the car i got a pretty bad 11mpg, now after weight reduction and a tune up I'm at 27-29mpg.

I pay $128 insurance per month (USAA is godlike cheap)

EDIT: 1996 Accord Annerversary Edition (man who dislikes Hondas drivin a Honda)
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Last edited by Deadlock Riff at Mar 13, 2012,
Quote by Deadlock Riff
*cryworthy wall of text*

ouch

I'm not looking for one so cheap it's gonna cost me shitloads to maintain, just as cheap as possible. Gonna have to try and find the line between 'spending too little and recieving shit' and 'spendind too much for the sake of a status symbol'
Quote by Xiaoxi

In terms of MPG? Weight, the size of the engine, how old it is, and how well it has been maintained.

The cheapest route is nearly always a Honda CR-X, paper weights that get 40-50mpg based on how they're driven. Usually get 2-3mpg boost with the general I/H/E bolt ons (a real cat-back, not a ricer piece of shite that just makes noise)

EDIT:
Quote by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
ouch

I'm not looking for one so cheap it's gonna cost me shitloads to maintain, just as cheap as possible. Gonna have to try and find the line between 'spending too little and recieving shit' and 'spendind too much for the sake of a status symbol'

Well if you look at it my way, I got a free car that now runs like a champ (except for tranny) and hasn't had any major problems during it's life. All that cost is just the general maitenence that happened to need done at the same time. It also cost alot less than most cars aswell.

Granted if labor was included (as in I had a shop do it) It would be well over 4k most likely.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Last edited by Deadlock Riff at Mar 13, 2012,
Not to mention when I buy parts, I try to buy the best I can so they can handle a beating.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Quote by strat0blaster
Aston-Martin-DBS.jpg

Like a boss.

The DBS is seriously one of the most gorgeous things i've ever laid my eyes on...

TS, don't spend too much on a first car. Driving a bomb for a couple of years can be a bit of fun, and you wont cry too much if you stack it.
LollipopSkeletonsLollipopSkeletons
LollipopSkeletonsLollipopSkeletons
Good point, about the 'stack'ing it, aha. I was thinking about having it for around 6 years minimum though, and spending around £3k, that makes sense right?
Quote by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT

From your posts I gather you're from the UK. In which case you'd have to wait 3-4 years before anyone would insure you on that. Then another 3-4 years before the insurance was under 5 grand.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
Ah, didn't know there was one (never seen it around) but yeah my uncle works in a garage, only just dawned on me how it'd be a brilliant question to ask him, or how he'd be a brilliant person to ask* I think I really really want one of these

Don't get an old British car for your first car. It'll break down a lot, and cost loads to fix.
MANCHESTER UNITED
Page 1 of 2