Hi, I mainly played rock and funk music for along time, but as of a few months ago ive tried learning jazz. I learned some of the basic chord shapes like maj7 and min7 and a few others, i understand how to make them but it takes me a few seconds to go from one to another. I have a teacher and he's helping me but i am stuck. I suck a soloing over jazz, i've always used pentatonics which i regret because (to my knowledge) using the notes in the chord to solo sounds better and is more "jazzier", and i cant go from pattern to pattern so fast.

Where should i go from here? Should i buy a book and practice some progressions? should i learn all my triad shapes? should i learn more chords and inversions? Should i learn every single note on the fretboard? Where do i start??? Jazz is so complicated

And also, my friend and his friend (drummer and bassist) want to make a "Jazz fusion" band. He's tried to explain it but i just dont get it. what is the fusion part??? and finally, what can i do to learn (or practice/ get better) at Jazz Fusion? Like i said, i barely understand jazz

Thank you for your help!!!
I hate when people compare John Frusciante to God. He's
good and all.............but he's no Frusciante.
The best way to learn jazz (or any genre) is by playing jazz. There's a whole heap of jazz standards around for you to practice.

As for thr "fusion" part, it usually donates a mixture of jazz and rock I believe, but I personaply think it's silly to pick a genre before playing the music. Have a jam and the genre will figure itself out.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
The second-best way to learn jazz is by listening to jazz.

Familiarize yourself with the jazz-fusion 'greats' and take cues from their songs and solos. Some artists to get you started:

Jeff Beck
Jaco Pastorius
Victor Wooten
Herbie Hancock
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Weather Report

I'll leave you to discover 'regular' jazz on your own.
I can't wait till my fro is full grown.
Last edited by FishStik at Mar 11, 2012,
we jammed yesterday and it was my first time jamming with other people, so we were all over the map but they said i wasn't bad or anything. can you recommend any slow progressing standards so im not switching triads every bar ? and thanks for your help ill give those guys a listen
I hate when people compare John Frusciante to God. He's
good and all.............but he's no Frusciante.
Jazz fusion can mean a bunch of things, but generally it describes a wonderful mixture of jazz, funk and rock music.
Learning some Weather Report wouldn't do you any harm, although generally the guitar in their music isn't too prominent (you could learn the parts for other instruments though). Mahavishnu Orchestra/John McLaughlin would be a good bet too, since he's actually a guitarist.
Just listen to how some fusion guitarists play. You'll notice a lot of chromatic work/deviation from scales. For example, Jaco Pastorius' basslines aren't often in a key as such, but have a tonal centre (Teen Town is a good example of this).
I don't suppose this helps much, but you have to really "feel" what you're playing. That doesn't mean you necessarily have to play slow, "emotiony" stuff, rather that you should rely more on your hearing than on playing things from scales and such.

Practice playing along to some jazz/fusion tracks. The fact that Weather Report doesn't feature guitar prominently could be to your advantage in terms of jamming here.
learning jazz .. its a life long process...how well do you know the blues..as this is one of the main ingredients of jazz...learn some blues progressions in 12 keys .. then study some blues with "jazz chords" and alternate progressions..this will help your ear with new chords(13b9 7b5 9#5 etc) and how to play over them..

and of course listen to some of the masters play...miles davis (all blues)..joe pass..larry carlton..john scofield..scott henderson...to name just a few

play well

wolf
Quote by wolflen
scott henderson

TS, if you can find him on YouTube, check out Dolemite.

Edit: Can't find him... loads of covers but you don't want that shit. It's definitely worth getting hold of it on iTunes or Spotify.

It's one of the most jazzy, fusion sounding versions of a basic 12 bar blues you'll ever hear.

2nd edit: I must say, having just listened to it, I'm lovin' the keyboard/hammond solo!

3rd edit: 3:26 - 3:32 is killer altered stuff.
Last edited by mdc at Mar 12, 2012,
Quote by wolflen
learning jazz .. its a life long process...how well do you know the blues..as this is one of the main ingredients of jazz...learn some blues progressions in 12 keys .. then study some blues with "jazz chords" and alternate progressions..this will help your ear with new chords(13b9 7b5 9#5 etc) and how to play over them..

and of course listen to some of the masters play...miles davis (all blues)..joe pass..larry carlton..john scofield..scott henderson...to name just a few

play well

wolf

If you talk about blues and jazz, then you can't forget Wes Montgomery.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
mdc is who to listen to!

Transcribing the 4.36 (and all over the place) lick atm
Last edited by Ulfe at Mar 12, 2012,
Quote by Ulfe
mdc is who to listen to!

Transcribing the 4.36 (and all over the place) lick atm

mdc likes this.
Jazz is an endless world, I play only jazz its fun. IMHO lots of jazz teacher complicate jazz so much, when it's not that complicated. I suggest you work on the basic 4 notes chords at first and only when you are familiar with these shapes learn shapes with tensions. Regarding soloing I suggest you start off by applying the key center approach (so you need to know the 5 major scale shapes) and only when you have it nailed work on the arpeggios and try to follow the changes. jazz is mostly hard work.
God forbid you keep practicing and try to get better.
Shit comes with time. One day you'll wake up and something thats been bothering you for a while, you'll just go "Oh, well I'll just do that." And it's fixed.

And remember back to when you first started playing guitar. Remember when it took you 2 seconds to switch from G to C? Now you can do it when your eyes closed, behind your head, upside down, under water.

Just ****ing practice. Stop looking for the quick fix. If there was one, every guitar player who wanted to play jazz would be Joe Pass.

Jazz Fusion though is a mixture of rock and jazz. Like Weather Report's Birdman or Jaco's
The Chicken... Herbie Hancock's Chameleon. Blah blah. It's rock beats with jazz chords and solos.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Last edited by King Of Suede at Mar 13, 2012,