Page 1 of 2
Hi all! This is my first build and I am very excited. I am making an oak telecaster with a maple/maple Warmoth neck. It is going to have a black Schaller Floyd Rose and I don't want to spoil the rest. Time for first pic:

Body and misc parts.

I hate these threads though... as a viewer we just want to see begining to end all in one post...

ah well

good luck with this!
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Going to practice cutting the neck pocket soon on some scrap pine today.

Neck specs because I want to leave you guys with something to drool over:

Telecaster®, Warmoth Pro, Right Handed Handed, Maple, Maple Fretboard, 1 5/8" Nut Width, Standard thin, 6105, Vintage Style (11/32") Tuner Ream, 22 frets, 10-16" Compound Radius, Black Face Dots Inlay, R2 Floyd Prep, w/ Mounting Holes, Clear Satin Nitro, 25-1/2 in. Scale, Standard 4 Bolt

More pics:

Last edited by Myaccount876 at Mar 12, 2012,
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
The Floyd came in today!!!

Original Schaller Floyd Rose

Thanks Stewmac.com

'Da box ^

Now, I encountered a problem!

So turns out the body is too thin, at 1 5/8" when the floyd's sustain block is 1 5/8". To fix this, the obvious and best answer would be a laminate top or back, most likely the back because I want to see the oak grain on the stained black finish I have planned. So I was thinking, particle board to the back?

Last edited by Myaccount876 at Mar 16, 2012,
Quote by Explorerbuilder
You could always take off the trem block and trim it.

That just doesn't seem like the best nor easiest solution to me. How should I trim it and how much if I were to?
Quote by Myaccount876
So turns out the body is too thin, at 1 5/8" when the floyd's sustain block is 1 5/8". To fix this, the obvious and best answer would be a laminate top or back, most likely the back because I want to see the oak grain on the stained black finish I have planned. So I was thinking, particle board to the back?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! ANYTHING other than that
geat a 1/2" slab of mahogany and glue that to the back. Dont ruin it with partical/plywood. Even Cedar would work.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
isn't there a smaller sustain block made for it?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Robbgnarly
geat a 1/2" slab of mahogany and glue that to the back. Dont ruin it with partical/plywood. Even Cedar would work.

Mahogany would weigh too much, the beast already weighs 7 lbs alone. I'm just going to shave off some of the trem block.
Quote by Myaccount876
Mahogany would weigh too much, the beast already weighs 7 lbs alone. I'm just going to shave off some of the trem block.

I had a Gibson LP that was 13 1/2lbs so you have a way to go
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i got a guitar that is all mahogany.. weighs a ton, but i like heavy guitars..

Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
i like the pine idea. good call ippon.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Want it light? How 'bout balsa?

Or do the mahogany and chamber the oak?

Just kidding on both counts.

Trimming the block might help it keep the Tele twang. Ought to be interesting...

Will this be a top-mount Floyd or are you routing it in so it can float? Not that it will make much difference...
It's going to be a top mounted floyd. I don't like floating floyds too much as they're harder to setup, unison bends are harder to do, you can't switch between drop D and standard, and I don't usually do pull ups.

Practiced routing for the floyd on pine. All done by free-hand. No templates.

It fits and works well!

PS - How do I get smaller pics? I tried to resize them all but it didn't work.
Last edited by Myaccount876 at Mar 20, 2012,
I use micrsoft picture manager
AMP:
Rocktron chameleon 2000
Roland GP16
Audio Technica wireless
Peavey valveking
Clydesdale custom case
GUITAR:
Indie super T black (modded with active and passive pickups)
Daisy Rock Rock Candy Special
Hope this turns out well. The only time I like a tele is if it has a floyd on it. I'm building one with a floyd at the moment. I haven't done anything on it in ages though. I'll be waiting to see how this turns out. Good luck.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
It may fit, but it looks worse than a cheap chinese guitar! The build looks great so far, don't screw it up by skipping templates.

I'm probably not going to skip templates, but I thought I did pretty damn good for free-hand routing, which was my FIRST time ever using a router. You wouldn't really ever get to see those mistakes I made. But don't worry I'll still use a template on the real deal.
Quote by Myaccount876
I'm probably not going to skip templates, but I thought I did pretty damn good for free-hand routing, which was my FIRST time ever using a router. You wouldn't really ever get to see those mistakes I made. But don't worry I'll still use a template on the real deal.

Get some practice with the template before doing the real thing. Maybe with some scrap oak, so you're comfortable with the feel.

If a big project like this is worth doing at all, then it's worth doing right. Even if shoddy work would be hidden from the casual observer. It takes a couple of seconds more to do it with a template, but you could live with the results for the rest of your life, and maybe the guitar will even pass down generations of your family.
Update!

Ok, so not too much has happened as I don't want to rush anything, but it could be done in a few weeks. Alright, so I made a neck template for the Telecaster neck out of Alder and drew the center-line for the template. Then I ordered the complete set of tremolo templates from Stew Mac for future builds. (I'll be sure to make a build thread for every interesting and unique goody. )

Templates in action.

Last edited by Myaccount876 at Mar 30, 2012,
The neck arrived!

Maple/Maple

22 Frets

6105 Fret Size

Warmoth Pro

Clear Satin Nitro Finish

10-16" Compound Radius

R2 Floyd Locking Nut

100% Satisfied
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
for now... ;]
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Pics attack!

Okay so measuring...

More measuring...

And more measuring...

Measure A TON of times, cut once...

Routing for floyd, after hours, yes hours, of measuring...

Successful route is successful...

Don't mind burnt template, it got burnt on one of the many practice runs...

I see it...

Measure for neck pocket with template for a template I made...

Big boy template. MEASURE!!!

Another successful route is successful...

It fits!

And as you can see, the pocket depth is 5/8" deep, and I left that little slim piece of wood to hide the Warmoth Pro side adjustment, which I just find hideous. I actually prefer the normal heel adjustment truss rod. It also makes the neck, in my case, more stable and it looks nicer to me.

So this is what I was doing. Measuring.
Love your measuring technique, gonna need a better laser level! Mine might work if I elevate it though
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Page 1 of 2