i thiniking about buying a cheapish guitar and modding it just as a little project. This is all new to me so i was hoping somebody can give me an idea on what guitars are good to use for this kind of thing and of course some good modds to actually do to the guitar??
A squier is uusually a good starting point (get used) but I would avoid the Affinity series Teles as they aren't actually built like a tele. Epiphone is another good place to start, but I would avoid an Epi with a bolt-on neck. Arias are solid in my experience too.
Good mods: New pickups, new pots, coil split, killswitch, tuner upgrades, bridge upgrades and refinishing are all good if you're willing to invest some time and cash.
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
yes i was looking at 'at-the-creamery.co.uk' and the guiatrs are beautiful, obviously he knows what he is doing but it would be good if i can customize my own guitar to be half as nice as those are
Well I wouldn't get too ambitious. I'm no expert on modding, but the mods I have done took a lot of work, and that was the relatively simple stuff
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
i added a killswitch to a home made of mine and it worked fine. I tried it on an epiphone lp bolt on and it didn't work at all. i put it all back together and still didnt work.

Guitars: anything cheap, squire, epiphone, even a cheap Ibanez

Mods: I'd replace the pots and switch with any electronic modding. if your buying used instruments you have no idea what it's been through. also pickups. a killswitch is awesome too.

EDIT: check stewmac.com for pots switches etc. they might be overpriced but they still have everything. . .
Last edited by JCGGUITARS at Mar 12, 2012,
a killswitch is a momentary switch that when pushed on will stop the guitar from working then when released will work again so when playing a song you can push it really fast multiple times to sound like da da da da da really fast. look on youtube: Buckethead killswitch

you will see what i mean

EDIT: you can look on youtube to see how to install one too
Quote by jamie vk
thiws may be a silly question but what is a kill switch?

A metalcore band
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate