Page 1 of 3
I enjoy reading books, unlike many of my classmates, and I enjoy reading many of the historically "Great" books I've been suggested. However, I just cannot tolerate Grapes of Wrath. I liked Of Mice and Men, and I have a couple of friends with similar tastes who liked The Pearl, so I have faith in Steinbeck, but Grapes of Wrath is just torture. The Dust bowl is my least favorite historical topic ever, and now I've got to read this massive book about it for school. Please help me.

Also, inb4 sparknotes
Quote by WCPhils
My prayers are with you and your balls TS

Quote by jetfuel495
I ran out of chicken nuggets.

When will this misery end.
Reward yourself with a hand shandy for every chapter you read.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
The **** do you actually want us to help you with, you snobbish little twat?
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Read Harry Potter, its all based on a true story
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by slash_GNR666
Read Harry Potter, its all based on a true story

I KNEW IT!

caps
BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

I SAY, I SAY, BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

They say when they finally attack, all the impostors will peel themselves. In order to tell if you have been assimilated, check for a zipper somewhere near your pelvis.

"The Pearl" was awesome.

You think "Grapes of Wrath" is torture give William Faulkner's "As I Lay Dying" a whirl.
Become a drummer and have someone else read it for you.
Quote by caeser1156
Your dick could still have a chick even if that chick had a dick
Steinbeck is way, way overrated. F. Scott Fitzgerald is the ****ing Boss Mode of all contemporary American authors.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Grapes of Wrath is good. Of Mice and Men is shit. The Moon is Down is alright. Cannery Row is good. East of Eden is best.
Sing me to sleep.
How can you guys not be able to finish Grapes of Wrath? Such a great book.

Considering all of the horrendous Canadian literature I've had to read in school (some of it was great, don't get me wrong, but most sucked), Grapes of Wrath was a treat and a friggen half to read.

Also one of the best movies I've ever seen. Just a great story overall.

Quote by JustRooster
Steinbeck is way, way overrated. F. Scott Fitzgerald is the ****ing Boss Mode of all contemporary American authors.

I wouldn't call Steinbeck overrated, but yes. Fitzgerald is one of the best of recent times without question.
Last edited by Pagan_Poetry at Mar 12, 2012,
Of Mice and Men was required reading in school, and i think that contributed a lot to my mindset now. I've since read most of Steinbecks stuff and i have to say, you're absolutely mental.
Quote by jugglingfreak
"The Pearl" was awesome.

You think "Grapes of Wrath" is torture give William Faulkner's "As I Lay Dying" a whirl.

I would never even try.

I'm reading TGoW right now for school. It's not that bad. Everyone in my english class is bitching about it too. Just suck it up, it's an easy read and if you get bored easily it completely changes topics and stories every few chapters.

I may just tough it out instead of sparknotes, for the cred, but as of right now it's torturous. Also, I absolutely adore The Great Gatsby, for those who have mentioned it earlier
Quote by WCPhils
My prayers are with you and your balls TS

Quote by jetfuel495
I ran out of chicken nuggets.

When will this misery end.
I can't get through most books that are considered "great" or "classic", tolstoy is boring as F, dostoevsky is boring as F, most pulitzer prize winners are boring as F, but grapes of wrath I actually enjoyed, and the ending was amazing. Took me a minute to figure out what was actually happening. Then the image came into my head. So low, so low.
Quote by Rockford_rocks
More like The Wrapes of Grath, amirite?
The Rapes of Math
ggg1 ggg3

that book is so goddamn boring it feels like it was written by a hamster

that's how boring it is
OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM
Could not stand that book. Same with The Great Gatsby. Didn't have to read Of Mine & Men in school.

Hell, the only good book we ever had to read in school was Ender's Game, which I had already read a million times because it's one of my favorite books.

The majority of the "classic" books don't appeal to me. The plot and the characters bore me to hell.
Quote by SheKILaDZE
I can't get through most books that are considered "great" or "classic", tolstoy is boring as F, dostoevsky is boring as F, most pulitzer prize winners are boring as F, but grapes of wrath I actually enjoyed, and the ending was amazing. Took me a minute to figure out what was actually happening. Then the image came into my head. So low, so low.

Some Pullitzer Prize winners are great. Read some Albert Camus

Quote by SaintsofNowhere
I would never even try.

I'm reading TGoW right now for school. It's not that bad. Everyone in my english class is bitching about it too. Just suck it up, it's an easy read and if you get bored easily it completely changes topics and stories every few chapters.

You know what's awful?
Far From The Madding Crowd.
Seriously, **** you, Hardy. That book sucked so hard, I don't think anyone in my class actually read past chapter 2. I tore mine up and jumped up and down on it afterwards, I hated it so much.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Some people just don't like some books. I HATED The Great Gatsby. Hated it... but it's considered a 'classic'.
Quote by gunsnroses#1
Some people just don't like some books. I HATED The Great Gatsby. Hated it... but it's considered a 'classic'.

How can you hate The Great Gatsby? That's like hating Shakespeare (which far too many people claim to do).
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Mar 12, 2012,
Quote by Todd Hart

How can you hate The Great Gatsby? That's like hating Shakespeare (which far too many people claim to do).

A lot of people do hate the way Shakespeare is taught in schools, because it's taught appalingly badly. And it's difficult to separate that from a dislike for the actual material.
I mean, they'll make you read a whole chapter of a book before doing any critical work on that chapter, but when teaching Shakespeare, they'll go to the end of a page and stop there.
And considering that happened at the school I went to(at the time, the top non-fee paying school in Scotland), I shudder to think how it was done in a 'shite' school.
Quote by Diemon Dave
I hated the Pearl, disliked The Grapes of Wrath, and loved The Great Gatsby.

Seriously though, an entire chapter describing a turtle that got flipped on a road? What the heck, Steinbeck.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
Quote by slapsymcdougal
A lot of people do hate the way Shakespeare is taught in schools, because it's taught appalingly badly. And it's difficult to separate that from a dislike for the actual material.
I mean, they'll make you read a whole chapter of a book before doing any critical work on that chapter, but when teaching Shakespeare, they'll go to the end of a page and stop there.
And considering that happened at the school I went to(at the time, the top non-fee paying school in Scotland), I shudder to think how it was done in a 'shite' school.

That isn't a reason to hate the text though; it's just people blaming someone else. The majority of people avoid reading Shakespeare for the rest of their life simply because they hated it at school, and then still claim that they don't like it. It's like claiming you can't appreciate the beauty of the lake district because you had a bad geography teacher.
My school had no idea how to teach us about 1984, Atonement and Macbeth, yet I still loved all of those. I just hated doing work on them because, again, my school didn't know how to approach these. Like in Macbeth, we'd be busy looking at how many triplets there are (or things in threes) as opposed to looking at deeper and more concerning themes.
Quote by Todd Hart
That isn't a reason to hate the text though; it's just people blaming someone else. The majority of people avoid reading Shakespeare for the rest of their life simply because they hated it at school, and then still claim that they don't like it. It's like claiming you can't appreciate the beauty of the lake district because you had a bad geography teacher.

Actually, it's more like claiming you don't like the Lake District becuase you were ill while you were there. For a lot of people, it's a subconcious association that no degree of logic will shift.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Actually, it's more like claiming you don't like the Lake District becuase you were ill while you were there. For a lot of people, it's a subconcious association that no degree of logic will shift.

It's a bit of a stretch to compare a lack of health with boredom or disinterest in class, even though both aren't pleasant experiences.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

It's still simply somebody searching for an excuse to dislike something rather than actually attempting to experience it themselves and then deciding they don't like it. Most people have only ever read Shakespeare's work in a classroom environment, and thus they can't claim that they don't like it for any reason other than a clinging on to teenage angst.

People are welcome to dislike Shakespeare's work (although personally I'd hold his works to be one of the greatest things humankind has ever produced), but refused to acknowledge it because you disliked your teacher is nothing more than searching for an excuse.
Quote by Todd Hart
It's still simply somebody searching for an excuse to dislike something rather than actually attempting to experience it themselves and then deciding they don't like it. Most people have only ever read Shakespeare's work in a classroom environment, and thus they can't claim that they don't like it for any reason other than a clinging on to teenage angst.

People are welcome to dislike Shakespeare's work (although personally I'd hold his works to be one of the greatest things humankind has ever produced), but refused to acknowledge it because you disliked your teacher is nothing more than searching for an excuse.

There's no searching; the link isn't made through any effort of will.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Page 1 of 3