I hear no "clank" in the bass tone at all. I had to put in headphones and really listen to hear any bass at all or bass separated from the guitar it follows.

Rounds, lot of bridge pickupand playing close to the bridge, tone most of the way up on a passive/bit of a smiley face eq with an active--that should get you as close as anything. I think any "tone" you like out of this just comes from any bass playing in tight unison with the guitar and bass drum.
I'd disagree actually. I could hear a fair bit of clank myself, and the bass had a fair bit of presence considering the norm in this style of music. For this sort of sound, I'd have a fairly low action, fresh roundwound strings, and an aggressive picking style somewhere between the neck pick-up and bridge pick-up. Both pick-ups up full for the mid-scoop, and then blend a mid-scooped clean signal with a touch of a nice overdriven mid-heavy signal. Should get you there, or close enough.
Anyone in those metal-core etc (sorry if I got your core wrong) bands use flats and have a good sound?
Quote by askrere
Anyone in those metal-core etc (sorry if I got your core wrong) bands use flats and have a good sound?

are you implying you need flats for a good sound?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
are you implying you need flats for a good sound?

That wasn't what I read from it at all. I think he was simply wondering if anyone had managed to successfully incorporate flats into that genre of music.

I'd have no idea personally, it's not something I care for at all. The only person that comes to mind is Steve Harris, but of course Iron Maiden are miles away from anything "core".
Quote by Ziphoblat
That wasn't what I read from it at all. I think he was simply wondering if anyone had managed to successfully incorporate flats into that genre of music.

I'd have no idea personally, it's not something I care for at all. The only person that comes to mind is Steve Harris, but of course Iron Maiden are miles away from anything "core".

Yup that's what I meant.

My best friend decided to take up screaming in a "metal-core" start up with a guy from his work on guitar. I mentioned it a ways back (the guy who has a full 2 4x12 MG100 stack) anyways, they aren't getting much headway with other members, and I might join them when I'm in town for jams, and wherever that leads to.

Thing is they play all those tunings drop d to c standard kind of deal, so I figured my Jazz in BEAD or whatever works with a capo (bead would let me use a cap right?) to let me go between them would work. I don't like paying for strings so I have grown used to flats, and just EQ'ing to suit. I just know the "core" usually involves scooped mid + gain^nth degree. Flats I wouldn't say scoop at all, but tend to center around the big low mid hump.

The idea of flats in the genre or most metal/rock isn't the first or usually a common one. If anything, I guess, if I solo the bridge pickup, use my Sans VT and dial in some highs and, mids and some dirt, I'd be cutting through his tubby tone regardless of strings.

Edit: and I am hugely not a fan either, but if my friends starting something, might as well get some jam time in with him rather than myself. If anyone could enlighten me on the difference in various "-core" I'd appreciate it. I do know they are not the kind using a vocoder and a synth, but that might just be because of budget and persons available.
Last edited by askrere at Mar 13, 2012,
^I agree with that.

I'm currently working on a solo recording project idea that I have and I'm using flats in a stoner doom sort of setting, but the sound is still miles away from core stuff.
As much as i have a general distaste for the genre, what you're describing wuold be somethinn I'm at least I'd be interesated in hearing.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think