Right, you're all probably sick of me making threads about a new amp, but I think I've had a change of heart. Previously, I wanted an amp with a great distorted tone, with no concern for cleans, but I've kinda changed my mind.

I'm looking for a head (no combos), which can take pedals well. And then I'll get myself some nice pedals

So, I'll probably get a Tubescreamer, a Tonerider British Distortion, an MXR Phase 90, a delay, a chorus, and a Crybaby.

This is an area of amps I have little knowledge of, so, what's out there?
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Tube or no tube? What price range? What kind of music do you play? Sorry if you said this in an earlier post, but this is kind of important.
Quote by DrewMeyer
Tube or no tube? What price range? What kind of music do you play? Sorry if you said this in an earlier post, but this is kind of important.

Well, if it sounds good, I care not whether it uses tubes, but from experince, tubes sounds better. Price range is up to £500, but I'd prefer it to be under £400, to allow more money for pedals
I play a wide range of music, but is mostly covered under the banner of rock, with the odd bit of blues, funk and alternative.
I love the tones of guitarists/bands as varied a The Edge (massive inspiration), Slash, Justin Hawkins, Joe Bonamassa, Paul Kossof, B.B. King, Hendrix, Richie Sambora, Dimebag Darrell and Def Leppard.
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Last edited by Any7423 at Mar 12, 2012,
I don't know if you would be interested, but the BlackHeart handsome devil amp is pretty amazing. It's 15w (may not be enough if you gig without a mic) but those are amazing for rock and blues. You can get one used for > $400 (don't know how that translates to £, though), and they accept pedals real well.
I had a really sweet experience using Fender Champ along with Jackhammer and a Wah. Tts about 4W, but I used it on a gig - doesn't really matter when you have a mic in front of it.
They both sound like cool amps, but I often gig unmic'd, and need something that can handle that.
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Just realized I posted this in the wrong place, but I don't really know what to do about it, sorry :')
Petra - Beyond Belief.
dude just get the laney gh50L

you're doing it backwards if you ask me

don't compromise your amp budget so you can get more pedals

an amp aimed at the tones you want will need fewer pedals, anyway
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
get a band master head

i wish you were open to combos, the twin reverb is THE amp for pedals
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Last edited by gerraguitar at Mar 12, 2012,
Quote by Any7423
They both sound like cool amps, but I often gig unmic'd, and need something that can handle that.

Well, it depends on where you are gigging. At a small gig, the 15w BlackHeart I mentioned could easily be enough un-mic'd. But if it's not your thing, don't buy it, I was just throwing it out there.
i have an older ampeg hybrid amp (not totally sure what model, but its a 1x12 and came with a Celestion 12" M70). it has a single tube (actually think it is preamp tube and not in the phase inverter position.

its cleans went right between a roland JC and a fender twin, not too warm not too cold. look into other amps like that. takes pedals better than anything i own.

i picked up a sovtek mig 50 and it has great cleans, get a little dirty with volume at 35% on the lower gain channel.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by gerraguitar
get a band master head

i wish you were open to combos, the twin reverb is THE amp for pedals

the new twin reverb reissue does not take pedals well at all. just because an amp is clean doesn't make it a good pedal platform.
If you want a good amp that take pedals well, look for amps with Effect Loops.

I would mention in that price maybe the Tubemeister. I really don't know the price in the £ but you should see that amp.

Also, Blackstar amps are a great choice. Amazing little amps.
Gibson Les Paul Standard

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier
Custom WG Cab with 2x12 Eminence Swamp Thang

Line 6 POD HD500
Quote by joe_k
the new twin reverb reissue does not take pedals well at all. just because an amp is clean doesn't make it a good pedal platform.

that's why you get the old ones pally
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican

Quote by Dave_Mc
dude just get the laney gh50L

you're doing it backwards if you ask me

don't compromise your amp budget so you can get more pedals

an amp aimed at the tones you want will need fewer pedals, anyway

I do want it, but it would be a massive push to afford one. If I gather the cash then yeah, but otherwise...
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Quote by joe_k

Quote by gerraguitar
that's why you get the old ones pally

I agree with Gerraguitar... I got a 74 Twin, takes pedals GREAT.. and set it on top of a 2x12 cab, and voila! Half Stack...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Any7423
I do want it, but it would be a massive push to afford one. If I gather the cash then yeah, but otherwise...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/laney_gh50l.htm

actually a lot cheaper on thomann than in the UK, unfortunately

http://www.rockemmusic.com/product/laney-gh50l-50watt-tube-guitar-amplifier-head ah there's a UK dealer who has one for £575

if you can't stretch i'd probably get a traynor ycv50b on thomann. or maybe a jet city.

I appreciate that maybe you can't stretch to the laney, but even if you can't there are still better options than going the clean amp with pedal route, if you ask me.

to clarify- i use pedals with my laney. But I use them as boosts, i still get most of the drive from the laney.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by joe_k
hence why i specifically said the new reissues

I haven't played through a reissue for more than 5 mins, and when I did it was just straight so I didn't have any pedals. But I know a few guys who say that, although they are a semi-far cry from their grandparents, they don't have many problems with pedals. But it actually wouldn't surprise me that they have issues like that.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican

my mate had one for a couple of years and there were no dirt pedals which sounded even decent through it. apparenbtly he read something about it being the speakers used in the reissues which were the problem. all i know is that it made all dirt sound horrible.