Page 1 of 2
So I'm looking to purchase a new guitar. Versatility would be nice but mainly I'll be playing Thrash Metal/Heavy Metal/Hard Rock. My budget is right around $1000. I really can't go much higher than that. I've been looking at this Jackson http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-small-batch-rr3-rhoads-with-emgs-electric-guitar but any suggestions would be nice. I've been playing for about 2 and a half years so I'm not too experienced.
Are Vs the only kind you're looking for? You can find a sweet RG/S Prestige in that price range.
Try a PRS, I've never played a bad one. I know the high end Mark Tremonti signature is very versatile, but I'm also seriously contemplating this beauty
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SEMA/
Axes
Peavey V-Type NTB ST
Peavey PXD 23 II
Jackson JS32T
Ibanez RG 1570
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Blue Royale
ESP LTD EX-50

Amps & Effects
Mesa Boogie Nomad 55
Boss Katana KTN-Head
Roland JC-120
Boss GT-100
Boss ME-80
Zoom G5
I'm not limiting myself to Vs but I do like how they look. I was also really attracted by the EMG pickups which I've heard are great for thrash metal type sounds. I have heard great things about PRS but I've never played one and am not too familiar with its capabilities in Metal and shred type stuff.
You can get cheaper Prestige like a 1570, and have more than enough to change the pickups to your liking. As for Vs, I think LTD has a Alexi Laiho model around your price range.
look at jackson soloists.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Where are you located? Are you willing to go used? Do you have a neck profile/body shape preference? Tonewood preference?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Check out ESP LTD ec-1000's. They are $799.00. Save some money and have a bad ass guitar.
My Gear :
Gibson Gothic Explorer
Epiphone Les Paul Zakk Wlyde (Korean)
ESP LTD EC-1000vb
Jackson RR24m
Kramer Focus HSS
Alvarez Acoustic
91-95 Peavey 5150 2x12
Marshall MG 250 DFX 2x12
VOX ToneLab ST Muti Effects
My location ranges back n forth from Santa Barbara to Los Angeles. I'd much rather not go used especially since I feel that I'm in the price range to get something new but you never know. I could fall in love with a used guitar. I'm hearing some good stuff here. I'm not too knowledgable about wood types and stuff like that so any advice on that would be great too. I'm also getting recommended some stuff that's at a lower price than the guitar I currently have my eyes on and I don't mind spending less, but (correct me if I'm wrong), I've always understand that with things involving technology (guitars included) price usually reflects quality. That being due to the quality and price of parts that are used to put together the guitar. Also, would anyone be opposed to the guitar that I posted the link to? Anyone have any experience with it or something similar?
Quote by ESP Eclipse
Check out ESP LTD ec-1000's. They are $799.00. Save some money and have a bad ass guitar.

Thanks for suggesting this. I found this which is a bit more expensive and it looks awesome! Now I got my eyes on this too! I love that this has 24 frets while the Jackson only has 22.
what sort of amp do you use? depending on the amp you use, EMG's could be good or not so good.

I like EMG's, but they are definitely not a good bet with most solid state amps, as they will sound very sterile and overly precise.

also, do you want a trem or not?
Ouch that's bad news considering that I use a Line 6 Spider IV. I know most people view these modeling amps as useless and blah blah blah I've heard it all before. However, it sounds decent to me and I can't afford to replace anyway at this time. I'm spending quite a bit on this guitar so I want to get something that I can use for a very long time, not just something that will sound good on my current amp. The tremolo is not a must but it's a plus if I have it.
with that as your amp, i'd say grab a used ec-1000 for $500-600, and then trade in your line 6 and use the remaining cash on a new amp.
No matter what guitar you put through the digital amp, it will only sound so good.
Quote by Duv
And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.

Quote by guitarxo
I hope you get raped by a bayonet

Quote by beckyjc
Roland Cube / Vox Valvetronix / Peavey Vypyr / Hitler > Line 6 Spider.
Quote by larson8er
with that as your amp, i'd say grab a used ec-1000 for $500-600, and then trade in your line 6 and use the remaining cash on a new amp.
No matter what guitar you put through the digital amp, it will only sound so good.

I won't be doing that. As I mentioned I'm just trying to get a guitar that I can use for a long time. A new amp will come in time.
Quote by Jasonconfused
Ouch that's bad news considering that I use a Line 6 Spider IV. I know most people view these modeling amps as useless and blah blah blah I've heard it all before. However, it sounds decent to me and I can't afford to replace anyway at this time. I'm spending quite a bit on this guitar so I want to get something that I can use for a very long time, not just something that will sound good on my current amp. The tremolo is not a must but it's a plus if I have it.

in that case, grab a duncan loaded LTD EC-1000. the SD pickups will give you way more versatility, and they'll sound good with pretty much any amp. they also have a less polarizing (in the love/hate sense) sound than the EMG's, so they're a much safer bet
Quote by krehzeekid
in that case, grab a duncan loaded LTD EC-1000. the SD pickups will give you way more versatility, and they'll sound good with pretty much any amp. they also have a less polarizing (in the love/hate sense) sound than the EMG's, so they're a much safer bet

Hmm.. so you don't think I'll regret not having the EMGs? The versatility will be nice but primarily I'll be playing thrash metal.
I guess my amp is under some pretty heavy fire here. Any amp suggestions incase I could upgrade in the near future. My budget for that would be even lower so don't suggest any of those $1500+ amps since it'll be many many years before I can even dream of getting one of those. Once again let me remind people I'm going for a thrash metal sound here.
Quote by Jasonconfused
I guess my amp is under some pretty heavy fire here. Any amp suggestions incase I could upgrade in the near future. My budget for that would be even lower so don't suggest any of those $1500+ amps since it'll be many many years before I can even dream of getting one of those. Once again let me remind people I'm going for a thrash metal sound here.

peavey 6505+ combo. dead easy to find for $400 or less used. they sound really good for the money (I have one), they're easily amoung the best metal amps for under $1000. they can also do a really bright tone, which is perfect for thrash (just look at the list of guys who use them, and you get a sense of what they do)
Quote by krehzeekid

I wouldn't necessarily say less polarizing. I, and a lot of other people on here, hate the JB with a passion. I would absolutely take any EMG over the JB.

Either will work in TS's case though, as both pickups are kind of staples in old school/thrash metal. If he wants the EMG though, I'd say it's the better choice of the two.

EDIT: TS, I can't stress enough how your amp will make infinitely more of a difference to your tone than your guitar. Don't cheap out on your amp. It's the bottom line. If you're playing a $3000 guitar into a $300 amp, it's still going to sound like shit, regardless of how nice the guitar is.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Mar 13, 2012,
Quote by krehzeekid
peavey 6505+ combo. dead easy to find for $400 or less used. they sound really good for the money (I have one), they're easily amoung the best metal amps for under $1000. they can also do a really bright tone, which is perfect for thrash (just look at the list of guys who use them, and you get a sense of what they do)

Lol Peavey's website says its used by Trivium and Bullet for my Valentine. Not exactly the kind of credentials that are going to convince me. haha
Quote by Jasonconfused
Hmm.. so you don't think I'll regret not having the EMGs? The versatility will be nice but primarily I'll be playing thrash metal.

EMGs are good for metal, but they're limited to rock/metal stuff by design. You can sneak a decent clean tone out of 'em if you're real good at EQing, but they're not designed with that in mind. Personally, I have a major preference for passive pups and have found that you can get a great metal tone from them provided they're high enough output to handle the gain properly. For example, any guitar equipped with a Seymour Duncan SH-4/SH-2 combo will handle metal as well as or better than an EMG equipped guitar, especially if you're looking at a solid state amp.

Lol Peavey's website says its used by Trivium and Bullet for my Valentine. Not exactly the kind of credentials that are going to convince me. haha

Whether or not you like the bands, they've gotten really good tones out of those amps and a lot of other bands do the same. The 6505+ combo is pretty much the entry level for your more metal-oriented amps. It's a tube amp, so that may or may not be a plus for you. Personally, I'm not a tube man, but I know folks who swear by their 6505s and their Triple Recs and whatnot who dial in some of the best tones I've ever heard. I can guarantee you this much: that Peavey is definitely gonna be a huge step up from a Spider IV. Discounting it because the website mentioned bands that you're not fond of is a very shallow reason to ignore an awesome piece of amp technology.
It was mostly a joke about the bands they mentioned I wouldn't discount equipment just because of that. I'll look into the guitars that have different pickups and try them out on several different amps and just decide from there. I'm only 18 and my occupation is being a student so I don't expect or even need the most professional setup imaginable. But seriously, thanks for all the tips guys.
I haven't met many people who have played PRS guitars but from the little bit that I've heard they're pretty good. Do they have the capabilities for thrash metal?
Also, how are different Gibson guitars for thrash metal? I'm think Flying V, SG, and Les Pauls.
Quote by krehzeekid

Don't do this.

The speaker in it is utter shite.
Quote by Jasonconfused
I haven't met many people who have played PRS guitars but from the little bit that I've heard they're pretty good. Do they have the capabilities for thrash metal?
Also, how are different Gibson guitars for thrash metal? I'm think Flying V, SG, and Les Pauls.

Flying V's are excellent; they're great for getting a classic 80's tone. But I don't like the faded ones because of their finish and the QC is reportedly iffy. Classic V's are not smothered with plastic binding or abalone jewelry that teenagers like these days, but they're very well constructed and great sounding guitars.

The SG's and LP's are fine just as long as your amp is good. They tend to be associated with classic rock and many people say that is all they can do, but its a common misconception. If you prefer thicker necks, you'll be comfortable with a lot of Gibsons in general.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 13, 2012,
Quote by Jasonconfused

If you can hunt one down pick up a Peavey 5150 or 6505 2/12.

It's a good amp for pretty much anything you'll play

Clean
Metal
70's 80's
My Gear :
Gibson Gothic Explorer
Epiphone Les Paul Zakk Wlyde (Korean)
ESP LTD EC-1000vb
Jackson RR24m
Kramer Focus HSS
Alvarez Acoustic
91-95 Peavey 5150 2x12
Marshall MG 250 DFX 2x12
VOX ToneLab ST Muti Effects
Quote by ESP Eclipse
If you can hunt one down pick up a Peavey 5150 or 6505 2/12.

It's a good amp for pretty much anything you'll play

Clean
Metal
70's 80's

I looked up a video of the 5150 on youtube and I must say it sounds great! However I can't afford to get a new guitar and change amps right now so I'll just have to ride it out with my Spider IV for a while. I'll keep these peaveys in mind though.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Don't do this.

The speaker in it is utter shite.

Flying V's are excellent; they're great for getting a classic 80's tone. But I don't like the faded ones because of their finish and the QC is reportedly iffy. Classic V's are not smothered with plastic binding or abalone jewelry that teenagers like these days, but they're very well constructed and great sounding guitars.

The SG's and LP's are fine just as long as your amp is good. They tend to be associated with classic rock and many people say that is all they can do, but its a common misconception. If you prefer thicker necks, you'll be comfortable with a lot of Gibsons in general.

Yea I would definitely be getting the classic V if anything. Haha I'm a teenager myself (kinda, im 18) but I know what you mean. Also, I know looks aren't as important as sound but since I'm planning on using this for thrash metal.. thrash is also very visual and in-your-face about everything so having a badass looking guitar doesn't hurt!
Quote by krehzeekid

^this
Quote by Ashe_Mc
anything with emg 81/85 combo really. and a thin neck.

This guy.
I vouch strongly for this guy not only because i have one but because it's the best guitar i've ever played. Love it to death.
Quote by krehzeekid

I just bought myself an ec-1000vb with the duncan pickups. LOVING IT!! The emg's are a bit of a one-trick pony. I'm very, very pleased with this quitar!
Quote by strumandbang
This Schecter might pique your interest. V shape, mahogany, 24 frets, EMGs with coil splitting, original Floyd Rose rather than licensed, set neck. Only $900.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Hellraiser-V-1-FR-Electric-Guitar-520218-i2172387.gc

Sir... I think you just showed me exactly what I'm looking for. This has moved to the top of my list for now.

Quote by vayne92

This guy.
I vouch strongly for this guy not only because i have one but because it's the best guitar i've ever played. Love it to death.

What guitar is this?
Quote by Jasonconfused
Sir... I think you just showed me exactly what I'm looking for. This has moved to the top of my list for now.

What guitar is this?

Ibanez RGT6EXFX
Quote by Jasonconfused
Yea I would definitely be getting the classic V if anything. Haha I'm a teenager myself (kinda, im 18) but I know what you mean. Also, I know looks aren't as important as sound but since I'm planning on using this for thrash metal.. thrash is also very visual and in-your-face about everything so having a badass looking guitar doesn't hurt!

Here's the thing. The Flying V's do look badass. I think they look a lot better than any LTD or Schecter with more abalone in it than wood.

and based on thrash metal stereotypes, having all the abalone in the world makes you look a fag if image is that important to you.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 14, 2012,
Quote by vayne92
Ibanez RGT6EXFX

Looks nice. too bad it doesn't seem to be for sale anywhere.
Quote by Jasonconfused
Looks nice. too bad it doesn't seem to be for sale anywhere.

They're sold on ebay :P
Quote by vayne92
They're sold on ebay :P

Ahh. found it. I like it and the price is right. I guess it just comes down to whether I want a tremolo or fixed bridge.
Page 1 of 2