Hey guys, I tried recording guitar and when I recorded it, it came out sounding airy and roomy. I was hoping I would get a tight, studio like sounds. When I recorded it, I did 3 takes each with 2 different mics resulting in 6 separate tracks and each take had different settings on the amp. I also added a bass to try and make it sound better. The bass helped, but it still isn't sounding like I want it to. Also, I didn't eq it or add any effects to it.

Here's the track: http://soundcloud.com/ramans/guitar

I can attach it without bass if you want as well (because I think I made the bass too loud).

Any tips on making it sound better would be appreciated.

P.S I don't play guitar, so don't judge my playing :p
are you putting the mic in front of the amp? does the room you're recording in actual has this sound coming from it?
Definitely need to know your recording chain.
Making something sound less "airy" would be cutting the very top frequencies with a basic EQ, but reverb like this needs something changing in the way you record it.
Quote by joaod94
are you putting the mic in front of the amp? does the room you're recording in actual has this sound coming from it?

Well, I have 1 SM57 on an angle pointing at the area right outside the center of the cone and then I have an Apex 870B pointing directly to the center of the cone on another speaker. And when I actually play the guitar, it doesn't sound this thin and airy, it's only when I record.
Quote by SkepsisMetal
Definitely need to know your recording chain.
Making something sound less "airy" would be cutting the very top frequencies with a basic EQ, but reverb like this needs something changing in the way you record it.

Ooh, okay, I'll try eq'ing the guitar.
Also, would you recommend just turning the reverb off completely?
How close to the amp are your mics?

Strip it back and just use the SM57. That Apex looks like a piece of crap and won't do anything to improve your sound - it's probably made it worse. You might also have a phase issue, which would cause your recording to be very thin and lifeless.

Try recording with the SM57 pressed up against the grill cloth at a 90 degree angle, about halfway between the centre and edge of the speaker.
Last edited by kyle62 at Mar 12, 2012,