I've been interested lately in getting some cool synth sounds like what you'd hear in modern electro dance music out of my guitar and I figured my knowledgable friends here at ug can surely help me out in building a pedalboard for live use

I don't really know what's out there for synth units then beyond that you layer distortion and oscillators and other modular effects and you've got a cool sound right? Please enlighten me UG!
Don't use straplocks... That will enhance the 'drops.'
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
thats pretty cool but id prefer to do this without a computer if possible.. my gt 6 has a shitty synth thing on it so there must be a good version of it in a pedal somewhere, what happens when i take that into a high gain amp with some wah or something?
Quote by Wylde14
thats pretty cool but id prefer to do this without a computer if possible.. my gt 6 has a shitty synth thing on it so there must be a good version of it in a pedal somewhere, what happens when i take that into a high gain amp with some wah or something?

you're gonna drive yourself crazy bypassing computers to get 'dub step' sounds. it'll also be pretty expensive.

i'd actually buy a midi guitar, like a roland strat. that way it the whole setup would be almost entirely midi. get some of those cool toys laidback mentioned. get yourself a midi module or some software and you're off. (looks like going the computer route properly is pretty expensive too)

if you want to attempt to bypass all the computer stuff, then you can go all organic. i'd use

-cool synth style effects:
--MF-101
--MF-102
--MF-107
--ehx HOG
-some sick fuzz with possible OD run into the front of the fuzz
-a robust wet dry signal path
-one of those moog theremins with the VC outs

that would be fun.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Mar 12, 2012,
For one thing, the wub in dubstep is actually an effected bass, so you're barking up the wrong tree with guitar in the first place.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Wylde14
The sound this guy has is awesome! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtQfqKOxwOI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

But hes using a computer of course, I'll check out those synths you reccomendef gumbilicious, thanks!

LOL...he isn't really playing that on the guitar. Just sayin'...check his other vids and all the comments. He is ****ing around...note the Ibanez, model skr111ex lol.
Quote by treysonpwaters
LOL...he isn't really playing that on the guitar. Just sayin'...check his other vids and all the comments. He is ****ing around...note the Ibanez, model skr111ex lol.

ahaha damnit i totally didnt catch that!

Quote by Raijouta
For one thing, the wub in dubstep is actually an effected bass, so you're barking up the wrong tree with guitar in the first place.

im not looking to play dubstep i just want to experiment with a different sound
Last edited by Wylde14 at Mar 12, 2012,
Lol in all fairness I have seen that video before though. Experimental sounds though maybe a reverse delay. Ehx electric mistress does some cool stuff. So does their sitar pedal, the ravish I think it's called. Pogs. Zvex fuzzes. Whammy pedals and octavers All do some cool different stuff. Not dub step necessarily but pretty experimental.
Quote by tubetime86
Don't use straplocks... That will enhance the 'drops.'

11/10
Quote by Wylde14
The sound this guy has is awesome! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtQfqKOxwOI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

But hes using a computer of course, I'll check out those synths you reccomendef gumbilicious, thanks!

the analog stuff was kinda what the computers where doing to a certain extent.

-MF-101- moog low pass filter. that is what they also call an envelope follower or filter.
-MF-102- moog ring modulator. crazy noise on tap. ufo landings included
-MF-107- freq box, it's a synth oscilator in a box, tons of synthy fun
-ehx HOG- adds harmonics, makes all the above effects sound more full
-fuzz and od run before these effects gives more of a sustained and 'square wave' tone
-a robust wet dry signal path - to help temper the above stated effect. it's real nice to blend a totally dry signal with these effects. can help you hear what notes you are playing
-moog theremins with the VC outs- has the 'hot hands' feel while remaining voltage controlled, this allows you to tweak all these effects with proximity.

there are lots of substitutes for different pedals, but this is just about the core package (maybe minus a stereo delay capability, or a gating effect)

-ae
Quote by Wylde14

Wait, you actually thought that guy was making those sounds with his guitars?

...are you retarded?
Quote by phoenix_crush
Wait, you actually thought that guy was making those sounds with his guitars?

...are you retarded?

evidently. Ive been trying to will myself out of existance for the last 2 hours

edit: those moog pedals look like an awesome place to start thanks man!
Last edited by Wylde14 at Mar 12, 2012,
I've gotten some pretty dubsteppy sounds from a high gain amp and a reverse effect. 'Course it was totally on accident and definitely didn't last long/sound good enough to use it for a full song.

But maybe a little "wait, did he just play bubstep with his guitar?" moment in the middle of a real song.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
So I went ahead on an impulse and ordered a freq box last night, hopefully I'll rock that shit haha
You might want to look at a whammy of some sort too for extreme pitch shifts...
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Wylde14
So I went ahead on an impulse and ordered a freq box last night, hopefully I'll rock that shit haha

Interesting. Tell us how it sounds, will ya?

Sorry to threadjack, but has anyone tried the Markbass Super Synth?
Quote by Wylde14

i got one, sounds pretty wild. it will destroy a signal (in a good way).

i prefer to run some fuzz or distortion before it to get more sustain like tones from the freq box. one annoyance of the freq box is that is sounds better with just about every instrument than guitar:

bass
drums
keyboards
synths
theremins

sounds better than guitar. drum beats through it are sick. still pretty useable for mutilating a signal. a little harmonizer will fatten the thing up quite considerable as well.

-ae
Quote by Emperor's Child
You might want to look at a whammy of some sort too for extreme pitch shifts...

I was thinkin that could beef up the sound a bit.. From what I understand the freq box works great with lower tones
Quote by Wylde14
I was thinkin that could beef up the sound a bit.. From what I understand the freq box works great with lower tones

yeah lower tones and simpler signals (simpler meaning less harmonic content, or so much harmonic content it looks like a square wave). and this is a bit of a 'whammy effect' built into the freq box, you can hook an expression pedal up the 'frequency' control and get some pitch changing of the oscillator.

-ae
my freqbox showed up yesterday! its damn weird but i like it. i did a quick recording on my phone with a melody and a harmony, sounded just like two cellos!
You'd want a Kitara! That thing looks oh so neat. Can't figure why it took so long to be mentioned.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.