Right now I am trying to finish up my second full recorded original song. One of my biggest troubles right now though is that the bass is weak, and there are a few parts where a powerful bass is necessary to my vision of the song.

This song has a really cool bass IMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWecVAZaN-E&feature=related

How do you achieve this kind of tone? I use Reaper, and an Ibanez bass through a Line 6 Pod X3 but I just make that a clean input and use Guitar Rig 5.
I don't know which Ibanez bass you've got, but I have an ESP with active pickups, and for a really nice fat heavy sound, I crank up the gain to max on the amp, open both humbuckers and set my tone to treble, up the mids on my amp EQ and just turn it a notch higher (my amp tends to sound better when it's louder).

I also play really hard with a pick, which gives a way cooler and heavier sound (in my opinion) than just regular finger plucking.
Bobby: Luckily I'd gone upstairs to listen to her piss so I heard her shout for me to help
Quote by Von II
I don't know which Ibanez bass you've got, but I have an ESP with active pickups, and for a really nice fat heavy sound, I crank up the gain to max on the amp, open both humbuckers and set my tone to treble, up the mids on my amp EQ and just turn it a notch higher (my amp tends to sound better when it's louder).

I also play really hard with a pick, which gives a way cooler and heavier sound (in my opinion) than just regular finger plucking.

It's an SR300 Ibanez bass with the stock actives. I will try what you have suggested but also because this is in a mix I usually try to EQ on Reaper and take out as much as I can to keep it from interfering with everything else. Tips there?
Quote by Tmusician
It's an SR300 Ibanez bass with the stock actives. I will try what you have suggested but also because this is in a mix I usually try to EQ on Reaper and take out as much as I can to keep it from interfering with everything else. Tips there?

I don't have a lot of experience with recording, my experience lies with live playing in a band. I don't think you can do much EQ wise to keep the mix clean without messing the guitar sounds up, I think...

I do suggest to not use to much bass on the bass guitar EQ, because it can get lost with the drums.
Bobby: Luckily I'd gone upstairs to listen to her piss so I heard her shout for me to help
Have you tried a bit of overdrive? Not to the point where it sounds like a detuned guitar, but I find it helps to give a bit more punch to the bass.
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
sometimes it's more about what's around the instrument than the instrument itself. for example there are various kinds of masking that can occurr, not to mention problems incurred from improper recording techniques
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com